šŸš¶ šŸš¶ā€ā™€ļø Tourists | Coming to Taiwan to sell art/wares on the street

Lately Iā€™ve seen a few tourists, from various EU/non EU European countries come to Taiwan, and set up a stall (presumably without permission, on the down low) to sell various handcraft and arts.

My question is, did they get a special visa to allow them to do so, as the few I spoken to say they travel all over the world to do it.

It sounds like something Iā€™d like to do. I doubt it will be guitars, but maybe Iā€™ll think of something.

Youā€™ve kind of answered your own question there, no?

Iā€™ve never heard of any country offering a street vendor visa. If youā€™re sure they were tourists, they were probably just doing it illegally as you said (and if they were ā€œtouristsā€, it would be illegal pretty much by definition).

I believe some people can get busking licenses in Taipei, which are tied to specific locations, for example spots in Ximending and the 101 Takeshimaya plaza. Iā€™m not sure who can apply.

Presumably tourists canā€™t apply for those though, right?

https://english.culture.gov.taipei/cp.aspx?n=EC7B174A966CF7AE

See also Section 5 here:

Iā€™d be surprised if ā€œbuskingā€/ā€œstreet performingā€ includes selling handmade stuff on the street, tooā€¦

1 Like

Jesus H. Christ

Yes itā€™s next to the drug dealing visa in the website.

4 Likes

Yeah. I saw one gent. in Tamsui couple of weeks ago. Was surprised.

Was it that guy making jewelry back where the cat statues are? Says his wife committed suicide and needs money to start some kind of counseling center?

So you got that information from him, but not the information about his visa status? Next time, why donā€™t you ask him, ā€œdo you have a visa that allows you to sell things in the streets?ā€

And why are you interested in that anyway? Arenā€™t you a resident or citizen of Taiwan?

2 Likes

His booth has that information, that heā€™s selling jewelry to fund a counseling center.

I just ask him if he has a visa and he says yes. I donā€™t feel the need to ask anymore, thatā€™s a bit too prying.

Iā€™m interested because I thought it was cool, maybe a way to fund a travel/vacation but it sometimes reeks of begpacking (but at least this guy is contributing by making trinkets instead of just flat out asking for money).

1 Like

Maybe you should try to find information about how to be able to sell things on one of those weekend markets åø‚集?

These guys arenā€™t selling there.

They just find a random spot and sell there, not paying rent and stuff. Everything they have fits in a briefcase.

I was thinking this is something that I could possibly do in another country, but Iā€™d need nerves of steel and the ability to tell a convincing lie (both in concocting a sob story to get people to buy your wares, and also if scrutinized by immigration, that youā€™re just backpacking), which Iā€™m not so good at.

Sorry, but we should not be contemplating about doing illegal things on this site.

I think for Taiwan, selling things at these weekend markets is the best option. Not sure if you have to be a citizen, though.

What ā€œthose guysā€ do is clearly against the law.

Got it. No Iā€™m not contemplating that. It really reeks of begpacking at times.

But I do think it adds to the cultural exchange of most countries, and maybe such visas could be considered.

But the amount of vetting required to sort genuine cultural contribution from begpackers wouldnā€™t make anyone with a genuine desire to contribute culturally want to go through with it.

I think thatā€™s a common scam: People trying to sell supposedly ā€œhandmadeā€ artwork / jewelry / paintings / postcards / ā€¦ while giving a sob story that they are either mute / disabled / grieving ā€¦ and thus need money.

Mostly, the stuff will be purchased from Aliexpress - and their condition is just made up.

Had that happen to me in Europe more than onceā€¦

In Taiwan, I once had a foreigner approaching me on the street trying to sell me their ā€œhomemade tiramisuā€ (probably from Costco) to fund their studiesā€¦

And thatā€™s why it is, and should be, illegal. Not much of a cultural exchange.

Yeah, but itā€™s not like scammers care about the illegality of their doingsā€¦

The sad thing is that many people seem to fall for their sob stories and think they help by actually buying something - which will just encourage the scammers to keep doing their shady businessā€¦

I saw the guy make the jewelry, he sells them anywhere from 320 all the way up to 1200.

But he basically wraps strings very tightly around the stone to make pendants, or string beads on braided rope made from the same string. It looks quite labor intensive.

But on the other hand, those stones he has is sold at the Taipei underground mall for literally 100nt for a bag of 20. String is probably 50nt a spool if even that.

But the way he strings then up, it probably takes about half an hour at least to do. He braids the rope in ways that looks time consuming. Or it could all be an act and itā€™s made by an army of children in Xinjiang and sold on taobao for 20 rmb.

He also claims to be from Belarus, which is basically on most countryā€™s shitlist because of Russia, so Iā€™m surprised he managed to get a visa. Unless heā€™s from another eu country.

1 Like

Like one of thoseā€¦?

Yea, looks oddly familiar.

2 Likes

On another topic, I saw a guy from leipzig sell painting he made of very strong coffee in ximen. It was pretty unique looking.

Donā€™t tell me they sell those on AliExpress too

1 Like