Tpass - Monthly Transit Pass for Multiple Cities and Counties

These deals are usually a good idea fir comparison sake

SFMUNI used to offer a monthly pass that you had to buy within the first few days of the month for about 35 bucks that was good on all muni bus and even cable cars and BART within city limits

These got snapped up fast
This was 20 years ago

Don’t think it’s offered anymore as all public transport now is running at heavy losses over here

Only after Taichung City merged with Taichung County.
Before that Kaohsiung City was more populated. Just means Old Taichung County was greater in numbers than Old Kaohsiung County before both mergers.

1 Like

Yes and Kaohsiung is obviously close to Pingdong and Tainan. But yeah interesting point.

A new NT$1,200 transport pass is set to launch in Northern Taiwan on July 1. The pass covers Taipei, New Taipei, Taoyuan, and Keelung, offering unlimited rides on MRT systems, buses, TRA trains, highway buses, and YouBikes. Preorders start on June 15. Users who currently hold a NT$1,280 transport pass can get a refund at information counters on the Taipei MRT.

Swipe in and you’re ready to go. Taipei and New Taipei are phasing out their NT$1,280 monthly transport pass. It will be replaced by a NT$1,200 pass that covers Taipei, New Taipei, Keelung, and Taoyuan, including access to the MRT, buses, TRA trains, and highway buses. Preorders start June 15, with July 1 as the official launch date.

3 Likes

Let’s hope this will get people to stop riding scooters.

I wish they did this in the UK.

1 Like

And fills up MRT, buses, trains to the brim during rush hour, Tokyo style.

Has serviced noticeably improved?

I don’t know but I hate riding the MRT to danshui because for some reason they won’t run more trains there, and so the train is always full. Not sure what the new pass will do to impact this.

Looks like you have your answer.

I don’t get it. How do you preorder a digital addition to an easycard?

2 Likes

I didn’t get it either. I thought pre-orders were supposed to be for highly sought after and limited items. I assumed it was partly just the Taiwanese desire to make simple things complicated, though I suppose it also avoids loads of people queuing up to buy it on the morning of July 1.

But it’s just a pass. Does it not operate the same way?

I show up and add it to my easycard.

Why

1 Like

I don’t get it either. If I buy it on June 15, I can’t use it until July 1?

Because in the UK rail transport is so expensive it’s cheaper to just drive.

Mostly because somehow they think rail system must make a profit.

But how does it affect you?

What do you mean? You have to add it to your Easycard at either the machines or counter though, right?

I meant that if it becomes functional on July 1 and they only started selling it on July 1, I guess that a lot of passengers would buy it on that day for going to work etc. (presumably after their current monthly pass had expired). Letting people buy it in advance means fewer people need to do it on July 1, so presumably avoiding a bit of congestion at the machines and counters.

I haven’t really followed the story though.

1 Like

I guess they need to hire people squeezers.

If you by it at 1280 before July 1 then you will get a discount for the days you paid 1280 after July 1. Say you buy on June 20 you’ll get a discount for the days from July 1 to July 19 when you buy the next 30 day pass.

I get that even less than I got the original description… :thinking:

1 Like