Tpass - Monthly Transit Pass for Multiple Cities and Counties

Next pass you buy you probably need to pay 1185 instead of 1200. Now you pay 1280/30 (42.6 NT$ per day), the new system is 1200/30 (40 NT$ per day). So for each day you purchased after the new system starts you get a 2.6 NT$/day discount on your next pass purchase.

I was trying to figure out what to do with the 1280 pass if it is still good after july 1. I just concluded that to simplify things maybe I should just wait until july 1 to buy the passā€¦

There is this long list of rules and stuff about it at the MRT station but I was having a little trouble understanding itā€¦

You mean how they had people pushers at the Ginza Line in Tokyo?

Maybe they should just run the trains more often? I guess Iā€™m not sure how feasible that would be, given I know the brown line runs every ~40 seconds during rush hour. Run it every 30 seconds? How frequently can trains be run before thereā€™s a crash risk?

They could lengthen those trains I reckon.

1 Like

They already come one minute apart in Xindian and I think 12 cars deep. Weā€™re still cachete con cachete sardine like Tokyo style at rush hour.

My solution is to wait like after 8:30 but if the COVID flex time is cancelled, Iā€™m doomed.

2 Likes

Any news for the Taichung/Changhua/Miaoli pass ? They announced it in March and no news till now .

Platform length issues?

1 Like

The brown trains donā€™t use all of the doors.

Easier to run more trains

Wow, what station is that? I travel between Dajr and Nankang Software park and at rush hour they seem to run every 2 - 2.5 mins.

Yes - brown line stations were designed for 6-car trains from the outset giving ā€˜easyā€™ expansion if needed.

The other day I was in Neihu. Arrived at the gate as the train to Taipei Zoo was closing the doors. Came in, walked to the platform, next train was in 40 seconds. So maybe more like one train every minute, after factoring in the walking across the platform and checking how long I have to wait time. I have been more in the ā€œcity centerā€ (Zhongshan jr high to technology building section) on the brown line during rush hour and one train leaves and the next train arrives right away. Useless though, as the trains in that section are so crowded you end up waiting for 2-3 trains before you can maybe squeeze on.

Matra said back in the days that a configuration of six coaches was a no-no. It was the original plan of Taipei MRT.

Those brown line trains werenā€™t really designed for mass transit, theyā€™re only good for moving people between airport terminals. Hence the limitation brown line hasā€¦

Ah.

I would suspect that by the time it goes 6 cars they would have phased the Matraā€™s out and it would be the newer sort instead. Taipei was the first time Matra had run them as four-car units as well hence why they had so much difficulty at the start. The newer sort are already running as 3-car units elsewhere so I would think 2x 3car units would be quite easy, stick a carrriage in the middle that doesnā€™t have any motors.

I donā€™t think in an automated system you can just hook up cars. Come to mind sensor, signaling problems, software programming. Going from 4 to 6 cars needs a totally different system.

If they just run every red line train to Tamsui, that would solve some issues. Right now every other one just goes to beitou.

I feel like there must be a plan or something for some train running to beitou. Maybe thereā€™s a future expansion? I donā€™t know why thereā€™s half the train running to beitou.

I ride the train from Taipei to DanShui constantly to see family when in Taiwan. Itā€™s certainly crazy busy at peak commute hours (are there any that arenā€™t?), and weekend tourist times, but itā€™s far from full all the time.