TRA to make "girl only" car

I read on taipei times or some other newspaper that TRA is going to make one car girls only. Taipei Rapid Transit is considering doing the same thing. While I know girls are afraid of sexual harrasment but I believe this is sexual discrimination. I mean where will they take this, that is almost like back in the 60’s when they had black bus and white bus. I think this is getting out of hand and if they did that with the Taipei rapid transit then I will do what Rosa Parks did, I will deliberately defy them because I believe that man and women should be equal and no one sex should have special priviledges as well. If I ever had a chance to ride a TRA train anywhere (which is rare) I will also go to women only car to show my displeasure at their sexual discimination.

They reserve carriages for women in Japan also. It’s a very popular program.

Yea other countries disciminates over race and nationality or sexuality… I dont care if its popular, I (and a few others) think this is blatant sex discrimination, thats like making a Man only train or like in Saudi Arabia where a women can’t leave the house without a man. It doesnt matter what the excuse is, if someone is excluded from a train or bus or other public place because of their race, sex, height, width, sexual orientation, nationality, then it is discrimination. If Taiwan wishes to be a “democratic” nation then they must NOT institude segregation!

I can see why they have them in Bombay’s train system, but the crime rate in Taipei is so low and the MRT is never deserted, so I don’t see why such a measure is necessary. The “safe zones” for women and children (why can’t men be protected from criminals too?) should be sufficient.

Jeez, no more ars rubbing during 'rush’hour :roflmao:

FYI, it came to my ears that in Japan during rush hour some men masturbate against women in the full commuter trains :noway: :s

I’m all for it. I have been harassed on the MRT by some stupid perv way too many times.
Yeah. Maybe you are right, they should make a guys only car too. But I don’t think any guys would use it. Where as women WILL ride in the woman’s only. So the man’s only would be a PC waste of space.

Yea other countries disciminates over race and nationality or sexuality… I don’t care if its popular, I (and a few others) think this is blatant sex discrimination, thats like making a Man only train or like in Saudi Arabia where a women can’t leave the house without a man. It doesnt matter what the excuse is, if someone is excluded from a train or bus or other public place because of their race, sex, height, width, sexual orientation, nationality, then it is discrimination. If Taiwan wishes to be a “democratic” nation then they must NOT institude segregation![/quote]

If u want to call this discrimination, then I think its possibly a good form of discrimination. Its protecting women from men who can’t control themselves. Women only gym’s are very popular in Australia right now, because they aren’t full of men perving at them and trying to pick them up.

Is separation of men and women in the hot springs discrimination too?

If guys could keep their hands (etc.) to themselves then we wouldn’t be having this discussion at all. Women don’t want their own carriage for the hell of it, they just want to ride the subway unmolested. Why is that so hard for you to understand? Does your SO/sister/mom have to get molested before this sounds like a good idea?

Can they also bring back “men only” bars?

I’m really getting sick and tired of young ladies perving all over me when I go to the bar. It’s really disgusting how they try the “Hi handsome, are you going to buy me a drink?”-routine from Taipei to Hsinchu, Hsinchu to Kaoshiung, Tainan to Kenting, Hualien to Pingtung… everywhere on this god forsaken island! And it’s not restricted to Taiwan, it’s a worlwide phenomena. These pretty young things girls throwing themselves at me with lustfull and greedy eyes, perving me and sucking me dry, for my money and body and house and car…

I heard other male posters complaining about the exact same thing.

Jeesh!!

Separate forums, separate trains, separate bars… Separation of the sexes… that’s what I say.

Seriously though: If it’s safer for the girls to travel in separate cars, why not?

Stan

[quote=“redwagon”]If guys could keep their hands (etc.) to themselves then we wouldn’t be having this discussion at all. Women don’t want their own carriage for the hell of it, they just want to ride the subway unmolested. Why is that so hard for you to understand? Does your SO/sister/mom have to get molested before this sounds like a good idea?[/quote]This happens in Taiwan that much ? That’s news to me. Maybe women could do something about molestation, like pulling the perve out at the next station and calling the police. Or is it just easier to treat every man as a potential rapist ?

Seems equality is being set back 100 years, or have I misunderstood the word “equality” ?

A ‘girl only’ car, okay. But what about the smell?

I have never lived in Taipei, so I’m not certain what the most congested lines are like during the most congested times, but I’d assume it’s not quite on a par with Tokyo where men in white coats are employed to push people into train cars already packed like sardines… there you have no choice but to be pressed up against your fellow subway users like so many peas in a pod, similar to being in the front row at a rock concert… obviously under these conditions you can see how women would prefer not to have some “bian tai” rubbing himself up against her for the duration of the trip, but is Taipei’s MRT really this crowded?..

If it is, and if women are reporting requent and unwelcome close quarters attention from male train riders, then by all means have a women only car IMHO… This does however smack of “let’s choose some random, irrelevant, but easily implimented element of Japanese culture and do it in Taiwan, then we’ll obviously be on a par with Japan without having to bother with all that pesky ‘becoming a civilized first world nation’” nonsense…

[quote=“plasmatron”]This does however smack of “let’s choose some random, irrelevant, but easily implimented element of Japanese culture and do it in Taiwan, then we’ll obviously be on a par with Japan without having to bother with all that pesky ‘becoming a civilized first world nation’” nonsense…[/quote]It also smacks of Ma Ying-jiu’s media-whore electioneering style. I’m also curious as to how big a problem this really is. If it is an issue then by all means give the ladies a car of their own, but if it’s just another attempt to appeal to women voters… :raspberry:

You’re over reacting and not being very sensitive to a lot of women’s feelings. Assuming you are a man, if you did defy the rule, so you think you’d be perceived as an equal rights lobbyist, or ready fodder for the front page of Apple Daily? Besides, if they do that on the brown line and all the ladies do use it, I’ll be guaranteed a seat every morning; every non “girl only” car would be completely empty! :sunglasses:

[quote=“stan”]Seriously though: If it’s safer for the girls to travel in separate cars, why not?
[/quote]
Because it doesn’t teach the prurient little primates in men’s bodies anything, and it increases the fear among Taiwanese women just by making a big issue of it (special cars).

Interestingly, this habit of rubbing up against strangers in an unwanted and sexual way is actually an officially-recognized form of abnormal psychological behavior. Can’t remember the name of it.

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]Maybe women could do something about molestation, like pulling the perve out at the next station and calling the police. Or is it just easier to treat every man as a potential rapist?
[/quote]
Exactly. Or simply saying in a loud and direct voice, “Hey, you, stop rubbing up against me.”

Can you imagine this “separate car” solution being implemented today in any place without such a blatantly patriarchal system? Surely, it is unfortunate that this situation exists. Beyond that though, it is sad that the separate car system is popular anywhere, like Japan, and eventually Taiwan it seems. Women here would be so much better off if they instead banded together, demanded decent treatment from men, and demanded effective enforcement from the authorities.

I totally agree with Seeker4 on this.
I have recently discussed this in some of my adult classes and it seems that the concensus is that women only carriages are not wanted by the majority; however womens rights lobbyists are pressuring the government to push this through.
This is unequal treatment, but I think the implementation of womens only carriages will harm the confidence of women in the long run. It’s almost saying women can’t look after themselves and should be looked after by the state.

Are we going to see segregation in the station?
By removing what very few perverts there are on the MRT/TRA - a safe environment full of people and cameras - we are going to see more perverts outside stations, on the streets and in dark alleys. Moving the problem doesn’t solve it - it just makes things worse.

While we are at it I want “Waigoren only” carriages because I’m sick of being harrassed, sneered at by old men, having “hello” shouted at me and being told I’m tall.

We should also have a carriage reserved for Blacks because the chance of Blacks having racist comments directed at them is far higher than women being molested - they can’t look after themselves because they are Black and need to be protected.

Utter bullshit :unamused:

I have called TRTC and expressed my distaste at this stupid policy to be implemented, and emphasized that if this policy were to come into force I WILL defiantly sit in a women’s only car until they remove me by force. I suggest those who does not like such policies do the same as well.

I agree, too. Positive discrimination should be one of last resorts. The negative effects outweigh the postive, imo. Patronizing and overly protective treatment of women only slows down the emancipation process and sends the wrong message, not only to the women themselves, but to other segments of society, including, for example, little girls and boys that are just learning about the world around them.

How many times do I have to tell you this… You are NOT THAT tall! Get over yourself :unamused:

Who gives a toss? It’s not like it’ll make any damn difference. If the train’s busy, people will get on wherever they can, as usual. Local people behaving according to the rules? Since when? :laughing:
What about that “mobile phone only” carriage they used to have before the whole thing just fizzled out embarrassingly when no-one paid a blind bit of attention to it? Anyone remember those?

[quote=“sandman”]Who gives a toss? It’s not like it’ll make any damn difference. If the train’s busy, people will get on wherever they can, as usual. Local people behaving according to the rules? Since when? :laughing:[/quote]Good point. The women’s toilets would be full of guys if they weren’t too lazy to sit down to pee… :s