Traditional, old-fashioned oats (oatmeal), not instant/quick

I’m looking for Quaker Oats – just the plain flakes, the kind that comes in a round, mostly orange-colored, medium-large tin.

(Our local MegaMart used to sell it, but now it’s disappeared from the shelves and all they have is a local knock-off version which looks the same, but when you cook it, it just produces a deeply unsatisfying mush. :frowning: )

I buy it regularly at RT Mart. Chinese packaging but there is the goold old Quaker guy with his hat on the label.

RT Mart eh? Thanks! I’ll check it out tomorrow :slight_smile:

Success! Giant tins of Quaker Oats found, purchased, taste-tested and everything – it’s the real deal! And while I was struggling with the existentialist distress of being in RT Mart, I even found an Amusing Sign –

[color=#008040]Mod note: This thread is for traditional, aka old-fashioned oats and oatmeal.
For steel-cut oats aka Irish oatmeal, see this other thread.
[/color]

I am looking for some “real” oatmeal. Not steel cut or anything too fancy, just rolled oats that are not “quick oats” or “instant oats,” for a reasonable price.

In the Quaker lineup, it would be the “Old Fashioned” oats: quakeroats.com/products.aspx

I have seen lots of Quaker oats tins at Carrefour and Wellcome, but they always say “Instant Oatmeal.” I’m not sure if they are actually Instant or it’s just a translation/marketing thing. However the instructions on most oatmeal packages (as far as my Chinese skills can tell) say that you just need to add some hot water and then it’s ready to eat. I think regular oatmeal takes a little more cooking than that.

Any suggestions? Ideally near Hsin-Yi District / Taipei 101.

Costco, they do huge boxes of that stuff, you get two big bags in it and it doesn’t seem to go off, even in the weather here.

I think I saw traditional, old-fashioned oats alongside the quick oats in Wellcome. The didn’t say 即食 (ji2shi2, instant), and instead said something like 天然 tian1ran2 or 傳統 chuan2tong3. Look for those and then look at the cooking time, and if it’s longer, you’ve found it. I bought them for making oatmeal cookies or something.

Few years ago, I bought a pack at Carrefour. It was placed near flour and beans.

I was at the CitySuper in B2 of Bldg 9, Mitsokoshi (Hsin-Yi) today. They had a big bag for TWD80. They were with the red beans etc, right as you enter the supermarket, on the right.

I found in Carrefour XiZhi, in an area between the fresh produce and bakery sections, in zip-lock bags:

Rolled oat(麥片) $40/500g.
Whole grain oat $48/600g.

Thanks for all the comments. I was actually able to find what I think are “old fashioned” Quaker Oats in the supermarket in B2 of Mitsukoshi (Xinyi) A4 (not in the A9 supermarket, but I might have missed it). They are in a primarily blue-colored tin that does not have “instant” in the name. Cooking directions indicate ~3 minutes cooking time which sounds about right.

All the other Quaker varieties appear to be instant. There is another brand (I think Australian) in a white box that says “Traditional Oatmeal,” but that too appears to be instant. Same with the unbranded oatmeal sold in bulk/bags, according to the clerk at the counter. You’ll see 即沖即食 a lot which I think roughly translates to, “Ready to eat, just add water.”

Btw, I’ve seen steel cut oats in Jasons and both Mitsukoshi supermarkets, but in small and pricey packages.

I grind my own oats. My family eats a lot for breakfast, so I bought one of these oat grinders

thewholetruth.org/Res_Oat.asp

Works great. I buy whole oat kernels for about 25.-NT$ per 600gr. The flakes taste better and are fresher. Gotta keep them refrigerated though, because they are not pre-steamed like commercial oat flakes.

I wish I could get pinhead oatmeal here. That would be nice. I could make skirlie.

Grave dig!

I know I can get rolled oats at a few places in town - Jason’s, I think City Super. Apparently not Santa Cruz, but perhaps Leezen? But the grocery stores everywhere are full of tins of oats - mostly instant, and some … mysterious. Does anyone know if any of these are “proper” rolled oats, i.e. not instant? I don’t mean the steel-cut oats - that’s too much to hope for in 2021 Taiwan - but at least rolled oats I can use for making granola without going on an expedition. The local PXMarts have shelves full of oats. So did Costco today. Are any what I want?

These are steel cut oats. Good stuff.

In 2021 Taiwan Costco? I don’t remember ever seeing steel-cut oats in Costco here, but I’ve only been going since 2015 or so. What’s the packaging?

I always thought steel cut would be way too much hassle to prepare for the local market. You never even see traditional, i.e non fast cooking, rolled oats. And they take significantly less time to cook than steel cut.

They had Red Mill-brand steel cut oats at the Kaohsiung Costco on Zhonghua 5th Road a few weeks ago.

1 Like

Thanks - interesting. I don’t remember ever seeing Red Mill anything at the Guandu (New Taipei City) Costco. And for that matter I haven’t seen steel-cut oats in Taipei in quite a few years now, although I’d also given up looking and just ordered from iHerb instead.

I’ve seen it and had it, just don’t remember where I got it.