Traditional, old-fashioned oats (oatmeal), not instant/quick

Oh, it accumulates! $10 here, $25 here from another product, and so on. I just gradually put things in the cart until it reaches $60. Or like last month’s order when one item wasn’t eligible for free shipping, and then suddenly was.

Besides, every food product I currently search for seems to be out of stock anyway.

2 Likes

Thanks, that’s handy. Will help with my iHerb withdrawal symptoms.

1 Like

At NT$ 180, DR.OKO’s Steel Cut Oats (500g) are approximately the same cost as Bob’s Red Mill (24 oz or 680g) on Amazon, but Amazon doesn’t carry it all the time, and as noted above, sometimes it doesn’t qualify for the free shipping to Taiwan

食用方式:
鹹: 使用高湯淹過燕麥粒,加入絲瓜、枸杞,放入電鍋,外鍋加一杯水,電鍋跳起來後就可以好好享用啦。

甜: 使用水淹過燕麥粒,加入白木耳、紅棗、枸杞、放入電鍋、外鍋加一杯水,電鍋跳起來後就完成啦。可以依個人口味添加水果乾或果醬或楓糖漿之類的配料。

Google Translation

Way of eating:
Salty: Use the broth to drown oatmeal, add loofah and wolfberry, put it in the electric pot, add a cup of water to the outer pot, and enjoy it after the electric pot jumps up.

Sweet: Use water to flood the oatmeal, add white fungus, red dates, wolfberry, put it in the electric pot, add a cup of water in the outer pot, and the electric pot will jump up and it will be done. You can add ingredients such as dried fruit or jam or maple syrup according to your personal taste.

Wolfberry (Goji berries), Red Dates, and White Fungus (Snow Fungus)

Photo of soup with Loofah, Wolfberries, and White Lily

2 Likes

For breakfast, I like to use Alton Brown’s steel cut recipe, which as far as I can tell, has been cancelled in favor of a healthier version. A brief search of YouTube turned up nothing, but it should still exist in his episode library

My notes for cooking them with Dr Oko’s offering follow the recipe below.

Morning Steel Oatmeal
Serves 4
Ingredients
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup steel cut oats
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3 cups boiling water
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon low-fat buttermilk

Optional
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 cup fruit such as blueberries or chopped peaches

Instructions
Place a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the butter and when it’s melted add the oats and salt. Stir for 2 minutes or until the oats smell slightly toasty.

Add the boiling water and reduce heat to maintain a bare simmer for 25 minutes, without stirring.

Combine the milk and half of the buttermilk, gently stir into the oatmeal and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Spoon into a serving bowl and top with remaining buttermilk.

Taste before sweetening or adding any spices…who knows, you might like it.
Notes
I often add fruit to my morning oatmeal and I do so when I add the milks because I like the fruit to cook a bit…especially blueberries.

The biggest difference I’ve noticed is time. These oats cook ~10 minutes faster in the first stage. Oddly enough I’ve never cooked them over gas back in the US, that may be a factor but I have no way to test it.

So:
Have a kettle start heating

Cup of oats, put salt on top.

Butter in the pot, toss oats&salt 2-5 minutes while water heats, lower medium heat - don’t burn them!

If you stack your process times right, the water is ready to pour. The pot is hot, and the water near boiling, so it will bubble and steam fyi

Get it down to a simmer. You may have to ride it a bit until it’s happy. No stirring after this point!

Prepare to drop the 25 min cooking time to ~15.

While the first cook proceeds, set up the dairy addition. I’ve used AB instead of butter milk and been happy. Almond or soy milk should work. I do use the brown sugar etc, and add them just before the dairy. I reduce the cinnamon to favor fresh nutmeg. Once you use fresh nutmeg for anything, you’ll never look back.

For fruits, frozen bluebs work, added with the dairy for the second cook . I like cooking apples in a pan with a touch of maple syrup or brown sugar and cinnamon, served on top. Strawberries either way

1 Like

Can you not get oat grains in Taiwan? Just get a small “mill”/press to press the oats yourself. I also cannot stand mushy fine oats, or worse quick oats…

I kinda need Greek yogurt or quark or fromage blanc to enjoy oats so I never looked for oat grains.

Just for general reference…this is what I use when hiking. Just add hot water. I usually avoid “instant” but this one is okay for special uses.

Ingredients: Organic mixed flakes (organic oats, organic red split lentils, organic pearled barley, organic millet, and organic black beans), organic rye flakes, organic black glutinous rice flakes, organic purple wheat flakes, organic wheat flakes, and organic non-GMO soybean flakes.

I do wonder what is a purple wheat flake…

Has anyone found Organic Steel Cut Oats recently in Taiwan? These are the absolute healthiest!

I will check out Mia C’Bon (formerly Jason’s), City Super and online.

For a diabetic or person with heart issues, steel-cut is the best. It helps protect the heart and its blood sugar impact is lower (low glycemic index). But they take a long time to cook because the whole oat is barely processed (just cut in two or three pieces).

For most people, rolled oats might be a better compromise. Much easier to cook, but still very healthy (although not as healthy as steel-cut). Rolled oats have an easier texture for kids and for oatmeal raisin cookies and granola bars.

Instant oats are terrible. Much higher glycemic index and not healthy. And it only saves a little bit of time over rolled oats. Never buy instant oats. You might as well just enjoy a Coca Cola for the carb rush. Same healthiness as instant oats.

The only time I have seen is at Jason’s (name change?) in Taipei. Red Mill brand. But that was long ago.

You might consider asking a health food store to order for you. Order a case and put in the freezer.

I saw it at Dollars hypermarket, they have many imported items as well a smaller EU pantry.

I think I’ve seen them at this baking supply store. Not sure though, because I wasn’t looking for them and have never wanted to buy oats.

Failing that, I’d check on Shopee.

@SIM
I didn’t realize if already posted this above. Either way, enjoy!

Any place that sells Dr. Ko’s (I think it has a faint lady bug in the logo?) should sell Dr Ko’s steel cut oats…

Here is Alton Brown’s original steel cut oat recipe:

Morning Steel Oatmeal
Serves 4
Ingredients
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup steel cut oats
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
3 cups boiling water
1/2 cup whole milk
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon low-fat buttermilk

Optional
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/4 cup fruit such as blueberries or chopped peaches

Instructions
Place a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the butter and when it’s melted add the oats and salt. Stir for 2 minutes or until the oats smell slightly toasty.

Add the boiling water and reduce heat to maintain a bare simmer for 25 minutes, without stirring.

Combine the milk and half of the buttermilk, gently stir into the oatmeal and cook for an additional 10 minutes. Spoon into a serving bowl and top with remaining buttermilk.

Taste before sweetening or adding any spices…who knows, you might like it.
Notes
I often add fruit to my morning oatmeal and I do so when I add the milks because I like the fruit to cook a bit…especially blueberries.

I don’t think it’s altitude, it may be the size of the oats, but I find the recipe cooks much faster here in Taiwan. I doubt it’s the fact I use gas here, boil is boil. So, where it says ‘bare simmer 25 minutes’, it’s more like 15. Replace butter milk with milk, or almond milk, good to go.

1 Like

These are awesome recipes! Thank you!

I use steel-cut oatmeal or rolled oatmeal instead of rice in any situation where Chinese chefs used boiled white rice.

I have tried using chicken stock and or fish stock to make oatmeal congee 粥. Sometimes I add some scallops or shucked oysters or shelled Taiwan clams / Hama. Some diced scallions and white pepper etc

It is a great way to turn a very diabetic unfriendly dish (white rice is super bad for dieters and diabetics) into a healthy dish!!!

Thank you. I will try!

Thanks to people’s’ suggestions, I did find steel-cut oats today - the Dr OKO brand with the ladybug. Mia C’Bon (formerly Jason’s) carries them!

Does anyone know how good the Dr OKO brand is? It seems like they import the organic oats from Finland and then steel-cut them and process them here in Taiwan. Packaging in Chinese mainly

The oats are great, never had trouble. Only thing I’ve noticed is that they cook fast

I use them. If you are looking for traditional steel cut oats - these are good. They are not instant/quick cooking variety so will take a bit longer to cook. A bit inconvenient if you are in hurry but a healthier option for sure.

Thank you. I tried them boiled in some chicken soup stock and diced green scallions.

Nice and chewy. I like them a lot!

Steel-cut oatmeal apparently has Beta-Glucans that lower cholesterol levels, decrease inflammation and help protect against cardiovascular issues. All good for people in their 40s and up. Also found in many mushrooms.

1 Like