Traffic accident: What if the other party requests a huge sum and you don't want to pay?

So I was hit by a scooter today and have some injuries, the other guy seems fine but said his leg was a bit sore. He wants to wait a few days before signing any kind of agreement to see if we get worse. From the CCTV footage, it doesn’t look like either of our faults, and the police wouldn’t say whose fault it was. I am afraid he will say that it is my fault and that he can’t work and request lots of money. If I refuse, I guess he could try to sue me. In this kind of case, if he won, is there a maximum he could get from me, is it based on his salary and the length he cannot work, is it based on my salary and disposable income? What if I rely on virtually my whole salary to look after my wife and child? Is this kind of thing taken into consideration?

Thanks

The best advice one can give is legal advice.

The second best advice one can give is to seek legal advice.

I’m only qualified for the latter.

Do you want a recommendation? He should be able to answer a few questions before stuff goes down.

Document your injuries.

There will be arbitration meetings and there the police will tell their perceived fault ratio (only a judge can decide a binding fault ratio).
Then the parties can present their damages and try to come to an agreement. If no agreement is made after three arbitration meetings, then the case will be decided in court.

4 Likes

I think I’m going to wait until he says he wants money first.
I would probably be willing to pay a little bit if his scooter is broken.

Just curious at how vicious the courts can be when it comes to payouts.

2 Likes

I would try to avoid private meetings.
At least do not to admit guilt, if it is not crystal clear. It might be used against you.

Your basic vehicle insurance should pay for all non material damages like bodily injuries and income losses. (I assume you were on a scooter too)

2 Likes

Even his? It is only medical/life insurance. I don’t have any kind of driving insurance.

Basic vehicle insurance is mandatory in Taiwan.

2 Likes

I was riding a ubike

Ubike has insurance too. You can contact them.

The bikes are covered by accident and liability insurance only in the station area . For additional coverage you must take out insurance yourself.

But there is a different insurance you could sign up to on registration.

1 Like

I thought you had to apply for that, and I definitely haven’t

Contact YouBike and find out.

1 Like

Weird. Not sure if that means the bike station or the service area, e.g. Taipei/New Taipei.

Will call up and find out.

2 Likes

Keep us in the loop about YouBike insurance. This will be useful for future reference.

2 Likes

He was on a scooter and you on a bike, the bigger vehicle is normally at fault according to Taiwan’s law. Look it up. Or bares more responsibility at least.

3 Likes

https://tw.forumosa.com/t/yesterday-i-was-in-a-youbike-scooter-accident-and-im-terrified/

I too was in a accident with a scooter while riding on a YouBike. Here’s my experience.

Good luck.

5 Likes

I just registered a new card and it doesn’t automatically ask if you want to join the insurance when you register a new card to your account. There is an insurance button at the top of the easy card registration page that you have to click to do it. Also, I just learned that the insurance is tied to the card not your Youbike account. So you have to make sure you register every card for the insurance program. Only my old card was registered and not my two newer ones.

1 Like

The police should have given you the web address to see the official traffic department determination of fault, which comes out about a week after the accident.

2 Likes

So they said since I wasn’t registered when the incident happened I can’t use their insurance. They said don’t sign any agreements with the other party yet because they may need to charge the price of the broken ubike to the other party.

However, right after that she rang me back and told me to ring Cathay insurance, and then they said that actually I am covered and if the other party is injured they can claim to them.

Apparently it is called 責任險.

2 Likes

I think that insurance is for your personal injuries.

That one I meant initially. It is 3rd party injury insurance. Everyone using YouBike’s should be covered.

2 Likes

On another note, is there a site where I can find the traffic department’s report/findings of my crash? The police haven’t sent it to me.