Transasia Flight GE235 Crash

[quote=“500CBFan”]More crass insensitivity, taking photos of yourselves with the rescue workers behind you.
appledaily.com.tw/realtimene … 04/554476/[/quote]
Retarded… I have gone there after work and I was thinking that extrangely enough nobody was taking selfies… but I see I was wrong.

I would send them to look for the dead with concrete shoes.

Arseholes.

Why is there an arrow pointing at the guy who’s taking a picture of the scene?

[quote=“500CBFan”]More crass insensitivity, taking photos of yourselves with the rescue workers behind you.
appledaily.com.tw/realtimene … 04/554476/[/quote]

idiots.

9:28 pm Update of dead now 24 - recovery of bodies from inside the craft, submerged part

And not everyone is so insensitive: some food trucks are in the scene giving free got food and beverage to rescue workers. There is hope.

Sorry to hear this. I hope the families are OK.

One of the departed was the guide, who was supposed to get married this Sunday.

A whole family of 4 is missing.

Horrible. Indeed, may the families find some peace.

At least, the hotel people say the group was in high spirits when leaving Taiwan, has a great time.

Yes, as far as I can gather, just east of the bridge that carries the MRT Brown Line over the river. Hard to tell if the Expressway in the Videos is the one on the North or South side.[/quote]

Holy crap! I go running down there all the time. I read that two people got killed on the ground. Were they just some walkers, cyclists, or runners along the riverside path?

It’s freaky that I was purchasing a ticket online for a flight on TransAsia (to Osaka) at the exact moment it crashed (but didn’t hear about it until later at work). I’ve flown several times with them; twice to Penghu and a few times to Hualian. I was astounded when I first heard there were “only” 11 fatalities, but it seems that was premature. It’s so very sad for the families of the victims.

youtube.com/watch?v=T8GmxMGCDh4

live telecast

Don’t know how accurate it is but I read on the airline forum that this particular aircraft had a left engine replaced in Macau just last week. Very sad and it appears death toll now up to 31 with 12 still missing. I just hope they can find the remaining 12 bodies to give those families some closure.

Thats what I read as well. Engine was replaced in Makung. Seems that same engine may have failed.
Tragic loss of life of course.

On the professionals forum pilots indicate large turboprops like this one are quite a handful to properly handle with a loss of an engine at take off. And some ATR pilots feel that they are pretty much lost if an engine goes out at this time. They have to feather (make it turn freely) the prop real fast on the failed engine, in order to have a chance. And ATR 72 are reported to be underpowered in the first place and with one engine out may not be able to sustain level flight even.

Altitude-Airspeed chart

[quote=“Icon”]Is it this plane’s design that so many people do not make it out? Too narrow aisles?

48 dead last time. This crash does not look too optimistic.[/quote]

Have you seen the fuselage? I think narrow aisles is the last issue to worry about.
This plane just fell out of the sky, it stalled to my knowledge. That’s just my thinking.

[quote=“tommy525”]Thats what I read as well. Engine was replaced in Makung. Seems that same engine may have failed.
Tragic loss of life of course.

On the professionals forum pilots indicate large turboprops like this one are quite a handful to properly handle with a loss of an engine at take off. And some ATR pilots feel that they are pretty much lost if an engine goes out at this time. They have to feather (make it turn freely) the prop real fast on the failed engine, in order to have a chance. And ATR 72 are reported to be underpowered in the first place and with one engine out may not be able to sustain level flight even.[/quote]

I know this is going off track a bit but … in propeller driven aircraft such as the one involved here, if an engine fails, the propeller would then create drag and affect the ability of the aircraft to operate on the remaining engine. So, when a failure occurs, the affected propeller is ‘feathered’ (sometime manually, but i think the ATR does it automatically) which means alining the propeller blades so they present the (thin) side to the front. This usually stops the propeller from turning as it has no power to turn it and is then very aerodynamic, that is, it does not act like a windmill. Whether this is an issue in this crash of course remains to be seen, the investigation will eventually reveal all.

news.ltn.com.tw/news/focus/paper/853449

according to the latest news, the pilot already made a round trip between Taipei and Jinmen that very morning. When he returned to Taipei, he told ground crews that the engine sounds a bit weird, please have a look. The airline was afraid any delays would result in fines by the aviation regulatory body, and told the pilot they would check it after he returned from Jinmen.

How did that happen? Did the fuselage break apart upon impact? (I suppose searching through photos could answer this for me, but I’m rather worried about what I’d find or see if I started looking too deeply.)[/quote]
It’s an aluminium tube, not that strong on impact, more or less efficient in flight.

[quote=“hansioux”]http://news.ltn.com.tw/news/focus/paper/853449

according to the latest news, the pilot already made a round trip between Taipei and Jinmen that very morning. When he returned to Taipei, he told ground crews that the engine sounds a bit weird, please have a look. The airline was afraid any delays would result in fines by the aviation regulatory body, and told the pilot they would check it after he returned from Jinmen.[/quote]
Oh, another case of MeioGuanxi then.

[quote=“Belgian Pie”][quote=“Icon”]Is it this plane’s design that so many people do not make it out? Too narrow aisles?

48 dead last time. This crash does not look too optimistic.[/quote]

Have you seen the fuselage? I think narrow aisles is the last issue to worry about.
This plane just fell out of the sky, it stalled to my knowledge. That’s just my thinking.[/quote]

Not at that time when I asked the question. The fuselage ended up like a comma. The bent part dig into the muddy river bed, they had a great struggle to dig it out.

Internal design has been faulted with increasing casualties in certain other accidents in the past. I thought this was an older aircraft of that sort. Alas, it is a new one. Or was.

Helicopter search for the missing bodies, as they may have been dragged down the river to the sea.

Several of the wounded are in a comma or critical condition. If you believe so, pray for them and their families, at least send good vibes. May they hold on and come back to life.

[quote=“jesus80”][quote=“hansioux”]http://news.ltn.com.tw/news/focus/paper/853449

according to the latest news, the pilot already made a round trip between Taipei and Jinmen that very morning. When he returned to Taipei, he told ground crews that the engine sounds a bit weird, please have a look. The airline was afraid any delays would result in fines by the aviation regulatory body, and told the pilot they would check it after he returned from Jinmen.[/quote]
Oh, another case of MeioGuanxi then.[/quote]
And a very huge fine if it’s true! Maybe even losing the operating license.