Transasia Flight GE235 Crash

Lots of International Coverage too - no doubt due to the popularity of Dash Cams in Taiwan.

How anyone survived is a miracle, as is the fact that it missed all buildings and just collected one Taxi - the occupants of which will no doubt be having several strong drinks by now.

Must be more than a simple engine failure on take-off though - these Aircraft can fly, and climb, on just one - the black boxes will tell all in due course.

count now at 19

That reminds me, Did the blackbox data from the Penghu TransAsia crash ever get released? I don’t remember seeing any follow-ups, and wikipedia has nothing.

That reminds me, Did the blackbox data from the Penghu TransAsia crash ever get released? I don’t remember seeing any follow-ups, and wikipedia has nothing.[/quote]

Well, they just pulled out the ones from this crash.

some witnesses pointed out about 6 people were thrown from the plane at impact and drifted down the river.

count now at 21.

Disgusting show from much of the news media here, close ups of bodies being pulled from the plane. Yes they are covered up but it still is so low class.

Feeling really bad today for all the victims and families :frowning:

[quote=“dan2006”]Disgusting show from much of the news media here, close ups of bodies being pulled from the plane. Yes they are covered up but it still is so low class.

Feeling really bad today for all the victims and families :frowning:[/quote]

I hate it when the media is on the prowl for victims’ family members at the airport. They will be in attack mode when someone starts crying. Disgusting. I switch channels immediately when seeing this. No support for this kind of voyeurism that has no information value whatsoever.

Looking at TV and it seems that the heavy lifting gear - Cranes etc - is being prepared - I suspect what they find inside the hull when they get it out will be rather gruesome.

In other countries the crash site would be well locked down, invisible to the press, not here, but even if it was the nearby buildings would provide a ‘grandstand’. No doubt the river is full of fuel too, to float out on the next tide.

[quote=“hannes”][quote=“dan2006”]Disgusting show from much of the news media here, close ups of bodies being pulled from the plane. Yes they are covered up but it still is so low class.

I hate it when the media is on the prowl for victims’ family members at the airport.[/quote]
Personally I don-t have any problem showing the work at the place (including COVERED bodies), but I can’t stand what is done here to relatives…

[quote=“jesus80”][quote=“hannes”][quote=“dan2006”]Disgusting show from much of the news media here, close ups of bodies being pulled from the plane. Yes they are covered up but it still is so low class.

I hate it when the media is on the prowl for victims’ family members at the airport.[/quote]
Personally I don-t have any problem showing the work at the place (including COVERED bodies), but I can’t stand what is done here to relatives…[/quote]

I was about to post a similar sentiment, actually.

[quote=“spaint”][quote=“jesus80”][quote=“hannes”][quote=“dan2006”]Disgusting show from much of the news media here, close ups of bodies being pulled from the plane. Yes they are covered up but it still is so low class.

Personally I don-t have any problem showing the work at the place (including COVERED bodies), but I can’t stand what is done here to relatives…[/quote]

I was about to post a similar sentiment, actually.[/quote]

In the very first email my editor sent me about it when asking me to go and photograph it, he made specific mention to be sensitive to the stress and anguish of relatives. I’m not sure why local media can’t do the same.

It would be one thing if it was a far away shot of the scene but they are zooming in to get every last bit of info from the scene, it really is too much.
That and all that bowing of company execs. :fume:

Not to mention the 24 hour play by play from the dash cams. Yes we get it, a plane crashed. Don’t need to see it for the 9999th time.

How did that happen? Did the fuselage break apart upon impact? (I suppose searching through photos could answer this for me, but I’m rather worried about what I’d find or see if I started looking too deeply.)

[quote=“hannes”][quote=“dan2006”]Disgusting show from much of the news media here, close ups of bodies being pulled from the plane. Yes they are covered up but it still is so low class.

I hate it when the media is on the prowl for victims’ family members at the airport. They will be in attack mode when someone starts crying. Disgusting. I switch channels immediately when seeing this. No support for this kind of voyeurism that has no information value whatsoever.[/quote]
I agree completely. The Taiwan media are one of the worst at it. They are like vultures. No respect for the relatives.

How did that happen? Did the fuselage break apart upon impact? (I suppose searching through photos could answer this for me, but I’m rather worried about what I’d find or see if I started looking too deeply.)[/quote]

It has gone down at about a 45 deg angle and water is like concrete when hitting it at that speed, and also rather shallow. The hull would have broken in a few places, and to put it delicately ‘propelled a few things out’. TV footage of the scene shows another fairly big part about 20-30 m away.

OK, thanks for clarifying.

Damn, that’s crazy. Any new counts of survivors? Where exactly did the plane go down? I didn’t get such a good idea of where from the map in the previous post. Somewhere in the river where it seperates Nangang and Neihu?

Yes, as far as I can gather, just east of the bridge that carries the MRT Brown Line over the river. Hard to tell if the Expressway in the Videos is the one on the North or South side.

More crass insensitivity, taking photos of yourselves with the rescue workers behind you.
appledaily.com.tw/realtimene … 04/554476/

[quote=“hansioux”]for those interested in seeing the location on google map.

google.com.tw/maps/@25.0629 … kN4VAA!2e0[/quote]

not much space in that river at all.