Transportation problems in Canada

In general, true, but Vancouver’s West Coast Express train has also been shut down, and that’s a big commuter route (and has also helped get A LOT more people to pay attention!).

But that still wouldn’t be an issue for most people traveling to Canada. I guess the Toronto-Quebec City (and stops between) routes would be the main trains that tourists would use. No idea if these protests are affecting that.

Is that the Amtrak one that goes into the US?

West Coast Express? No, it’s the train line that runs east from Vancouver, out through Port Moody, Coquitlam (that area now also served by Skytrain), Maple Ridge, and Mission. Big commuter route. Vaguely equivalent to, I dunno, shutting down the TRA trains from Taoyuan to Taipei. Doesn’t affect most people in the Lower Mainland, but is a big problem for a significant group.

OK, yeah, I know it.

A wise choice, then.

1 Like

Said every phony-assed middle class white liberal
Ever

3 Likes

That’s a pretty big paintbrush you got there, how much did it cost? It must be pretty big if you’re gonna paint someone you don’t even know who disagrees with you as all the same.

Got nothing to do with me, Ace.

By your words will ye be condemned…

Whatever you say. You couldn’t come up with something better? I at least expected better than an ad hominem fallacy.

I believe you

But would it get you and the other people in your workplace to discuss the issue where you’d normally ignore what’s going on with Indians?

Many years ago I had beers with a couple of the guys in those nose to nose with a soldier photos from Oka. I got the impression that very often Indians feel pushed to the margins until it’s politically expedient and when they do stand up for themselves they get shat on.

Consider how you’d feel if your neighbours decided to lay pipe through your home bush and your only recourse, the law courts, tells you to sit in the corner with your mouth shut.

I’m not denying the issues they face. They have real and genuine concerns that need to be solved.

But I am not the root of their problems. Tens of Thousands rely on the trains to get to work in the Golden Horseshoe. If you’re causing real consequences to innocent people, I can’t help you if you put me in situations that can potentially cause major hits to standard of living. I’m best suited to help and stand up for the causes of others when I am stable and taken care of.

I want dual citizenship for us here in the foreigner community. Shutting down the TRA/Highway is not going to help our cause here. I am going to be part of a constructive way to make the law fair for us WITHOUT angering the very constituents we need on our side. It’s not gonna help our cause when the Media calls us troublemakers.

2 Likes

Ok Marco, I don’t want to get into Homer Mupson with you. I just wonder what it would feel like if it were me and I didn’t fight for something out of that deal and I heard all that money sloshing through that pipe day after day.

1 Like

I hardly think that’s fair towards Homer and Mups.

I’m allowed my opinion and so are you. I have not stated my opinion on the actual pipeline, just the protest strategy. You don’t have to even give my opinion a reply. I certainly don’t reply to every opinion I disagree with. I don’t have time or energy for that. But I harbour no ill-will to you and your well-thought-out replies.

Secondly. We are adults here. Regardless of your opinion, I respect your right to yours. We will agree on some things and see differently on others. You’re welcome to your opinion with me and it will always be replied to with the utmost of respect and I have no reason to be disrespectful. I hope people can disagree with me without prejudice. Yeah, I sometimes agree with things on the left, centre and right. I don’t need to have people imply or label me as anything. Once I am labelled, it’s going to be harder for both sides to exchange their ideas. I listen to you, even if I don’t agree.

I just don’t see their tactics as being effective. They have already alienated the Conservative Party, of whom have significant sway in this Minority Parliament. They could have used this voice to stand up for them.

Same thing with the Chinese government.

They banned imports of soy and other crops from Republican states and Canada, in an attempt to turn public approval towards China, yet it backfired and opinions have hardened against China.

I don’t think your opinion is wrong though.

1 Like

We are adults here.

Oh, thank the Lord!

2 Likes

Um, dude, you talk to all of us about what you do. :cactus:

3 Likes

I promise I didn’t mean to cause a… thread like this. :doh:

I’ll say this though: the backstory of this situation is complicated. Don’t trust any article – rightish, leftish or centrish – that tells you it isn’t. :2cents:

2 Likes

So what do I do for work right now?

They are not ordinary citizens? They are different caste?

Where did I say they were not themselves ordinary citizens?