Trinity Indian Foods Store and other ingredient sources

Cool. Just how big is a curry-leaf tree? Are they OK for apartment balcony gardening, or do you need a yard?

Mine is only a foot high at the moment. Iā€™ve heard they can be grown on balconies. A nice big pot with regular feeding, and Iā€™m sure it would be fine, although Iā€™ll be planting this one outside.

I know itā€™s cheating, but does anyone know where I can buy Patakā€™s in Taiwan?

Iā€™ve bought a lot of Patakā€™s stuff over the years: Jasonā€™s regularly stocks it, or at least they used to. I think Iā€™ve seen them at Trinity as well. However, Patakā€™s has a wide range of products, and you canā€™t find all of them here.

Arenā€™t you in Tainan? Too bad Tesco is long gone - when they first opened, they had the best curry-in-a-jar products Iā€™ve ever had in Taiwan.

Yup! No Jasonā€™s or Trinity down here, unfortunately.

I keep meaning to make up everything from scratch but itā€™s at least $100 a spice and takes so much time, Iā€™ve been avoiding it for ages!

Carrefour rarely has anything useful :aiyo:

And in Taiwanā€™s humid climate, they grow fungus after a few weeks :bluemad:

Jasonā€™s Patakā€™s range seems to be sadly depleted lately, just one or two jars of flavours I donā€™t like. Iā€™m not really that keen on them anyway - they stink of acetic acid.

I wonder if thereā€™s a business opportunity here ā€¦ providing curry-deprived foreigners with Pataks-like spice mixes ā€¦ :smiley:

Thereā€™s DEFINITELY a market for this. Most definitely.

And in Taiwanā€™s humid climate, they grow fungus after a few weeks :bluemad:

Jasonā€™s Patakā€™s range seems to be sadly depleted lately, just one or two jars of flavours I donā€™t like. Iā€™m not really that keen on them anyway - they stink of acetic acid.

I wonder if thereā€™s a business opportunity here ā€¦ providing curry-deprived foreigners with Pataks-like spice mixes ā€¦ :smiley:[/quote]

Especially the corriander seeds, that get infested with little bugs after a few months. I would love to make my own curry pastes from scratch, jalfrezis, rogan josh, vindalos, etc, but I need to get hold of a good pestle and mortar. Does anyone know where I can buy a decent one?

My coriander seeds keep a long time in an airtight container.

Thai stores have mortars. Certainly you can get one at Huaxin Street by Nanshihjiao station.

Cheers, Iā€™ll check it out.

I got a decent pestle and mortar in Xiaobei, but now I think of it you donā€™t have many of those up there. I know thereā€™s one in Sanchong because the bus to Taipei goes past it. Itā€™s made of metal and really, really heavy; i love it.

But youā€™ve got me going O.O;; My coriander seeds are in an old butter tub! I guess Iā€™ll have to buy a jar and transfer them. Those slide-up stick thingies are great for spices in bags (theyā€™re great for anything really, I love them).

Jamie Oliverā€™s website has some good recipes for all sorts of curry pastes, but I havenā€™t tried any. Tried his bombay potatoes today and they werenā€™t quite flavourful enough for my liking.

Try Sanjeev Kapoor for recipes.

Webspar has Rajah curry powder in stock webspartaiwan.com

Please note Trinity moved, new address:

Renai Road, section 3, alley 143, number 23rd, 6th floor.
台北åø‚仁ꄛč·Æ3ꮵ143å··23號6ęؓ
Phone number: 2771 8382

Note that Trinity now apparently has two branches:

The ā€œoldā€ one (well, perhaps two years old) sort of behind the Zhongxiao Fuxing Sogo: 台北åø‚仁ꄛč·Æ3ꮵ143å··23號6ęؓ. The store itself is fine, but itā€™s slightly weird in that youā€™re buzzing yourself into an apartment building and then taking an elevator up. Hours Monday to Friday 10am to 9pm, Saturday 12pm-9pm.

A newer one close to Taipei City Hall Station, and pretty close to their original location if I recall correctly: 台北åø‚åæ å­ę±č·Æäŗ”ꮵ71å··35號. Hours Monday to Friday 10am to 9pm, Saturday and Sunday 12pm-9pm.

(I got the info from their Facebook page.)

I went there today (ren ai lu) in search of some red lentils, chapatis, and bombay nuts, but couldnā€™t find it. From the FB photos, it looks like a shop front place. Didnā€™t know it was in a building. I will try again tomorrow, or go to the one near Taipei City Hall, if itā€™s still there in that vicinity.

Three years later, and another new branch: Trinity also has a branch in the Shilin area, closest to Zhishan Station I think: 台北åø‚å£«ęž—å€äø­å±±åŒ—č·Æ5ꮵ535號

Link to their current information, which is their profile picture on the Facebook page:

I have no idea how long itā€™s been there, but I just realized their existence today.

Theyā€™ve got a website too, which is for deliveries. No idea if their delivery service is more tailored to restaurants, or is also appropriate for individual consumers.
http://www.indianstoretaiwan.com.tw

1 Like

Itā€™s been there for a while.

Yeah, I figured thatā€™d be the case. At least now I know an easier location (from Danshui) to get Indian ingredients.

Happened across this place Forin Mart the other day, smaller selection than Trinity but what they have looks good. Friendly gentleman running the place. I picked up a couple of items.

https://goo.gl/maps/o4qGh7MvHjdWcqDK7

4 Likes