Tsunami

[quote]Fire breaks out at Japanese nuclear plant: Kyodo
(AFP) – 1 hour ago
TOKYO — A fire broke out in the turbine building of Onagawa nuclear plant in Miyagi Prefecture on Friday, Kyodo News reported, after an 8.9-magnitude earthquake struck Japan and triggered a huge tsunami.
It was not immediately clear if there was a risk of a radioactive leak as a result of the fire at the plant operated by Tohoku Electric Power.[/quote]

Let’s hope this works out well.

Poor Japan. I can’t watch any more. :frowning:

[quote=“saddletramp”]I think you were right to be alarmed, I sure was![/quote]So was I. No harm, no foul! [strike]Glad[/strike] Relieved to know that us folks in Taiwan are all OK so far. :frowning:

Yah, because they are going to be massive, 6 or 7 degrees, which is as big as the 921 Earthquake and perfectly capable of causing more tsunamis. Christ, watching that wave rolling across Japan does not make me want to risk going anywhere near a beach for the next while.[/quote]

True. Anyone who lives in teh vicinity of the beach, better not spend the night at home, but rather wait it out elsewhere. At least a couple of days. And stay alert. This ain’t over yet.

BBC just said the Japan quake was 8,000 times more powerful than the recent Christchurch earthquake. Man, that’s so hard to comprehend.

[quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”][quote]Fire breaks out at Japanese nuclear plant: Kyodo
(AFP) – 1 hour ago
Tokyo — A fire broke out in the turbine building of Onagawa nuclear plant in Miyagi Prefecture on Friday, Kyodo News reported, after an 8.9-magnitude earthquake struck Japan and triggered a huge tsunami.
It was not immediately clear if there was a risk of a radioactive leak as a result of the fire at the plant operated by Tohoku Electric Power.[/quote]

Let’s hope this works out well.

Poor Japan. I can’t watch any more. :frowning:[/quote]

Actually, my family and friends have been sending messages about this, asking if we will be OK here.

Which begs the question: don’t we have like, one or two nuclear power plants of our own next to the coast, in the pathway of such a tsunami? :astonished:

I was on phone with daughter in Seattle and she heard the news on CNN as we were chatting. I posted as quick as I could.
DAMN! poor folks in Japan but we missed the bullet and it sounds all of at Forumosa are dry and safe. :notworthy:

I dont thick is over yet. News suggest an aftershock on the “ring of fire”. I would suggest a couple liters of water, a few NT and psport ready to get to high ground.
I am an alarmist but not stupid!

Alarmist? CNN are alarmists, the weather man was freaking out, saying this is potentially the biggest event to happen to the West Coast of the USA in the last 100 yrs, I shit you not. Well, at least it takes the heat of Gadaffi for the time being.

Alarmist? CNN are alarmists, the weather man was freaking out, saying this is potentially the biggest event to happen to the West Coast of the USA in the last 100 yrs, I shit you not. Well, at least it takes the heat of Gadaffi for the time being.

I feel so much better now. I broke out my lawn chair and will enjoy the eve on the lawn with my scotch. But smarter folks are getting prepared.

The Tokyo Electric Power Company has said the pressure inside the No. 1 reactor at its Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear plant has been rising, with the risk of a radiation leak, according to the Jiji Press news agency. Tepco planned to take measures to release the pressure, the report added. The reactor’s cooling system began to malfunction after the earthquake. People living close to the plant were later evacuated as a precaution. Nuclear physicist Dr Walt Patterson tells the BBC it sounds like there is a “serious problem” at the Fukushima-Daiichi plant. “It’s the sort of thing that nuclear engineers have nightmares about,” he says. “If it is not resolved in the next few hours it will get serious. If the core is uncovered, then those rods at the top may get hot enough to melt themselves.”

[quote=“urodacus”]I was going to post earlier, but I have been a bit wet.

we had two waves, 18:05 and 18:15 or so, Japan time.

A massive 20 cm!

not so nice in the northern city of Sendai, though.[/quote]

Hey you’re okay H.!!! I was worried about ya!

Alarmist as I am;
I have 2 liters of water, and my docs with some NT cash in a bag at the door.
Dont be afraid but be prepared. Look at the news! This is dmnd close to us.

And 43 to 356 times -depending on the TV station- stronger than 921…

if 921 was this big im convinced my 4th floor walk up in wanli wouldve collapsed with me in it.

Good God, just watch this:

liveleak.com/view?i=dfd_1300102202

Totally safe for work, it’s just the footage of what a town obliterated by the tsunami looks like today.

10,000 people died. :frowning:

[quote=“Chuanzao El Ale Destroyer”]Good God, just watch this:

liveleak.com/view?i=dfd_1300102202

Totally safe for work, it’s just the footage of what a town obliterated by the tsunami looks like today.

10,000 people died. :frowning:[/quote]

OMG, can’t find words to this… unbelievable.

myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/na … 3132011_dk

absolute terror—end of the world stuff.

there is a terrifying picture there and even more so a very terrifying “as its happening video” of the tsunami by someone on safe ground but people below certainly were not safe.

[quote=“tommy525”]http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/dpp/news/national/six-minute-tsunami-video-shows-japanese-village-being-swept-away_03132011_dk

absolute terror—end of the world stuff.[/quote]
Tommy, can you at least quote from articles you post links to, or give more information. Not everyone wants to click on a link.

Edit: For example, with this one you could have, a. described the article as containing a video of the Tsunami hitting Japan and causing havoc, or b. used the youtube hotlink.

Edit x 2: Thank you.

Where did you hear that? Certainly not 10,000.