Tsunami

7.9 earthquake just hit coast of Japan. Much of the area is under a tsunami warning; Taiwan is under a tsunami watch.

Both Narita and Haneda airports closed.

Buildings burning, Cars underwater. This was a big one off the east coast of Japan.

there was a big one in Japan today.

tsunami should arrive in Hualian around 17.30

[quote=“BigNoodle”]there was a big one in Japan today.

tsunami should arrive in Hualian around 17.30[/quote]

Any chance that taipei / nangang might be affected? Should we get our cars to some higher ground? I guess no… since there are some mountains inbetween…

Just in case, I’ll be staying out of the MRT between 5:00 and 7:00.

twitter.com/japantimes

Quick updates.

Best map for the tsunami warnings that I’ve found so far is here, but it’s for Japan only:

Source: jma.go.jp/en/tsunami/

Not exactly reassuring for Taiwan. I’d guess nothing’s coming up the Danshui River, but I wouldn’t say I’m at ease about it.

[quote=“lostinasia”]Best map for the tsunami warnings that I’ve found so far is here, but it’s for Japan only:

Source: jma.go.jp/en/tsunami/

Not exactly reassuring for Taiwan. I’d guess nothing’s coming up the Danshui River, but I wouldn’t say I’m at ease about it.[/quote]

Well, if near Taiwan the expected heigth is only 2 meters according to the pic, then both Danshui and Keelung river should be pretty safe. But when in doubt, better relocate the car :slight_smile:

ALL CLASSES CANCELLED TAIDONG AND HUALIEN AREAS… tonite.

Sorry for caps, but it is to emphasize the urgency… :blush:

By the way, this here is the TW Tsunami warning:

As far as I can tell it says only the coast areas need to get prepared. I hope all our North and East coast people are warned and get prepared now… not just “tsa bu duo” and people die plus next month a lot of cheap “100% no water damage” cars appear…

It all came from Japan…

Why would someone sign up especially to post that? :ponder:

Edit: Actually, Discussion is already up here: Massive Japan Quake, Tsunami Warning (Mar. 11) suggest merge, since it is not really a Taiwan Earthquake event

For you folks in the Danshui area; you have about 20 minutes to get your ass to upper ground. 9.0 Tsumani will hit in a few minutes

What on Earth is going on?

I’m on the 9th floor, got out of class at 5:00 (an hour early) and hot-footed it home since the roads were jammed and I only live 20 minutes from school. Hope it’s not gonna be bad, kinda worried about Yilan and Hualien.

Big quake in Japan. See this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=96511&start=50

I vote for renaming this thread to “Taiwan Tsunamis 2011”. And if that was a joke of the OP its a bad one…

Not a joke, totally real and kinda scary.

This is no small deal. GET OUT and head to higher ground. CNN is reporting in US that Taiwan get get whacked hard in a few miutes.
Get a bottle of scotch an go to the roof – - - - - NOW