Turning a 公寓 roof into a nice place to relax

The apartment we are buying is on the top floor, and the roof was never turned into an illegal addition. It’s fairly clean up there, and after applying a new layer of waterproof paint, I’d like to turn the area into a nice area to sit, relax and maybe barbecue.

Although the area is technically shared between all the homeowners legally, my understanding is that generally the top floor apartment owner is usually expected to take responsibility for the roof maintenance, and the other floor owners usually don’t take an interest in what goes on up there, cos if they did then they might also be asked to pay a share of the maintenance costs when for example, the roof leaks. I guess this is why many top floor owners got away with building illegal additions on the roof without too many complaints from the neighbors before the government started cracking down.

Anyhow, I’m more than happy for my neighbors to use the renovated and cleaned up roof area, and I’ll obviously check with everyone before I make any changes to the area up there so I’m not expecting any issues.

This post isn’t really about whether I can or cannot do stuff up there, it’s actually about ideas. I don’t think real grass would survive up there, and fake grass would probably melt. Has anyone ever turned a roof into a kind of garden/play area/bbq area before, or know of anyone who has? I’d be interested in seeing how it went.

2 Likes

I’ve seen many people build a metal frame and rooftop above that so that it helps with rain not flooding your rooftop area, also keeps the rooftop cool in summer and it a good place to dry clothes. You can use an artificial turf as well.

1 Like

Needs a canopy cause it sure gets hot, but I’m growing all kinds of stuff.

24 Likes

People only usually only make use of roofs to dry clothes. The rooftop bbq idea isn’t really a thing outside of mid autumn festival.
I suggest you buy tons of plants to claim the space, then start adding stuff. B n Q might have some outdoorsy tiles or something.

Anything wrong with gutters?

I hate those roof roofs. Looks like shit, stops people from enjoying the sun and they made the sound of rain a lot louder.

2 Likes

Yes, they do. Would need to check the materials won’t melt, but should be fine. Would be nice to have an area covered in those tiles, with a nice table and chairs. Would probably want to screw them into the floor in case of strong winds though.

1 Like

You want to rethink that last bit.

Maybe this would be better

1 Like

Yea I’d add a roof over it just to keep you from baking in the summer but also helps with a lot of flooding problems. Just don’t occupy it except for using it to dry clothes.

Congrats!

1 Like

Highly recommend that you don’t do this. Don’t share. You’ll have regrets. Keep it all for yourself. Nothing good will come from telling your neighbors about your rooftop plans or allowing them to share the space.

If anyone agrees with my selfish idea, like this post to help @meishijia see the light.

@meishijia Congrats on your purchase.

11 Likes

Nope but in Typhoon rains gutters can be flooded and sometimes blocked with debris.

I have a platform over my office roof but still have to get rid of the water.

Legally you cannot as rooftop space is public access so tenants can escape from a fire below.

Legally? Taiwan? You crack me up.

5 Likes

de facto many residences are caged up so one can not escape from a fire

1 Like

Get a hole cut through concrete roof for exclusive access and install a fence surrounding 3/4 of the roof???

1 Like

No problem. Just as long as you do not lock the access. If you do that tenants can complain to the fire department who will cut off any locks and fine the people who blocked the rooftop access. I had a client wanted to install a dish and top floor owner bolted and locked the door to the rooftop.

They got a nice visit and a hefty fine.

1 Like

Yup because people either do not complain or they are unaware.
That’s life, or death.

1 Like

Even if this is a rule, I can say from experience that this is apparently not strictly enforced. In our previous apartment (4F, top floor) we needed access to our roof for various reasons from time to time (air-conditioning installation, or roof leaking, gutters flooded) and each time I had to go bother neighbors for roof access. At one point I did get a key of a neighbor that I could use to unlock roof access three doors down, and then walk back across three roofs of neighbor’s buildings.

1 Like

Yea, the problem is if there’s a fire you’ll get in trouble.

Best to not risk it.

I say the same. But that can be tricky, right fast. One person afraid of dirt or ghosts can ruin that dream. But a community type garden is a pretty awesome idea if all the occupants there are on board or not total troublemakers!

Note, leaking is a problem. If you do that, expect to get the brunt of the blame. Probably why most are left empty.

really only enforced when people complain to the Fire Department. If you had called the Fire Department they would have fined the people who put on the locks. Nothing happens when people don’t complain.