Turning into an anti-social recluse

I suppose The West does have a particular problem with arguing over matters that don’t matter. Maybe that was the OP’s point? The friend in question is particularly insistent about crossing the street in a certain way, and if you don’t follow The Rule then you’re a bad person (or, worse, a right-winger)?

1 Like

yep, laptop, phone, headphones (not school gear, but regardless) will do it with just those items for many.

Bear in mind this is a Taiwan forum. It’s best if you clarify if you are talking about any other currency than Taiwan dollars, and any other country than Taiwan.

1 Like

IMO kids shouldn’t be walking around with hundreds or thousands of dollars of whatever.

3 Likes

Yay! I actually agree with @TaipAmy ! :partying_face:

Forumosa: bringing people together.

Guy

3 Likes

In Taipei you wouldn’t have much chance of being alone walking towards another person also alone due to the great population density

I have not observed that here in California People would generally cross to the other side of the street to avoid you except during the covid quarantine times when it was very much the normal and correct thing to do

In normal times if I saw a young lady coming towards me I would not change to the other side

She may if she chooses

But i would not

And about friends one of my best buds here is just a contrarian

Whatever you say he likes to contradict you your thinking and your perception

Tiring sometimes

2 Likes

Feels like your bud really just wants to order people around - basically dominate them.

Your friend does not really give a toss about some girl walking alone, rather it’s about exerting control over another person - you in this case.

I agree. Kids should be taught how to set up an operating system on a USB key and run whatever they need from that. It’s simple. You can easily back it up. Allows kids to be able to use computers for task specific learning. And teaches them how computers and operating systems can be used.

They could still save whatever class work they’re doing on a cloud server, most likely school owned and located, meaning the chance of losing what they’re working on is limited.

There are other things though. Depending on what the kids are doing some could be using tech to keep an eye on their progress or their sports performance. Smart watches make this doable but they don’t come cheap.

So when you look at the overall costs it all adds up. Shoes, school uniforms, backpacks, text books, headphones, most likely a phone or a phone capable smart watch. And that’s just the basics these days.

Yeah hobo attire is a big no-no. You should dress nicely to reassure women that you’re not some psycho :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Then you just mentioned the issue.

I have yet to see kids have to pay for thousands (usd) of supplies just to attend schools. may e it’s a rich private school? otherwise schools provide that stuff, and any school living in a crime infested place would require that stuff to stay on site. It seems fundamentally wrong to make kids walk through the streets with 3kUSD worth of stuff they pay for themselves. the logic just doesnt make sense. hire a taxi if if the kid is that wealthy?

It just seems confusing.

I try to not not stare at shaky bottoms on marathons.

2 Likes

Perhaps there needs to be a Godwin’s Law for Ted.

1 Like

It’s not an issue in high population density areas. It’s late at night in secluded areas.

I’ve been walking back home at 2am and my house is easiest to get to by some dimly lit ally’s. On one occasion a woman was walking 50 meters ahead of me, I wasn’t walking quickly, in fact the opposite.

I hadn’t noticed her before I entered the ally.

Never the less, once she looked behind her she took off running away.

yeah, I kind of feel sad that I clearly frightened the woman, but at the same time she was clearly frightened.

It is was it is.

1 Like

Could be
Must be some sort of mechanism built
up from some sort of situation while growing up
Maybe
Coming from a family of some ten kids he had to defend his position constantly

Maybe he was beaten as a kid
Or not beaten enough?

1 Like