Turning into an anti-social recluse

Unfortunately the more extreme right wing parties have been the only ones talking sense in some of these matter, attracting in this way more “normal” people, since pretty much anybody else was between talking bollocks and insulting and criminalising them.

Someone please remind me. What the h&ll is this thread about? :joy:

Guy

I think it’s about this happening to the OP:

Probably because of things like this:

3 Likes

Exactly, it’s about how people pushing general views is changing my want to interact with people altogether, and whether i’m fitting into the “over-sensitive internet user” or “angry right-winger” categories of #lyf :rofl:

The older I get the rounder I feel. Just bounce.

I find I enjoy the company of 30 somethings now more than old farts my own age. This whole idea that grown men especially need a social group is silly. Men need work. I cut up a few trees yesterday. It was good. I built a fire. Or they run marathons and try not to stare at shaky bottoms ahead of them, right @superking ?

3 Likes

Pronhub and Forumosa - key to a full, wholesome life.

4 Likes

Is that a pronunciation website? Maybe useful for my students! Just let me google it and see if the interface is any good…

1 Like

Where is this place that there is this fear? I am in the Baltics (Vilnius past few days, and Estonia before, and KHH before and next week) and there is not this here and in Taiwan. I hope on public transport people stay away so I have room, or sometimes think will people stay away since I am Japanese in place that seems like o.1% Asian (maybe less) but not the case. So in the old town area, with small old sidewalks at best I wait for the girl or person to pass or mostly passby one the road and have yet to see anyone cross the road to avoid me.

1 Like

No. It’s where you go to get your new randomly generated pronouns.

Let’s just say, having looked into it, I’m not likely to share this link with my students

2 Likes

Wise choice. It’s hard to memorize so many different pronouns.

1 Like

My joke responses would likely be going too far :zipper_mouth_face:

1 Like

Schools supply that shit…if kiddies are walking around with 3k in gear, better spend another few hundred on self defense classes!

Taiwan always ends up seeming so nice :innocent:

If someone is pushing the idea that you have to do this, or you’re not a decent human, then that would offensive. If they mentioned it and that offended you, then you’re being too sensitive.

3 Likes

Schools supply personal computers/notebooks. Headphones. Personal sports equipment. Phones. Watched too these days. I’d like to see that. Add that stuff up and you’ve got $3000 easy if you go for better tech. The cheapest would be second hand notebooks and dodgy headphones and an old android phone. Still easily over a grand. Not including shoes and shit.

I’ve never heard of a school the supplies anything other than textbooks on loan. And they’re usually reserved for low income kids.

if you take a laptop and a smartphone to school you can reach 1000 USD easily, without having to count the shoes.

The internet, and people. This thread is about people using the internet. Not crossing the street to manage the safe feelings of others or yourself.

It’s almost about echo chambers, even the ones we essentially recognize, yet still feel inclined to join.

But no, it’s just people, using the internet. We’re a pack of idiots.

To join in, I’ve seen some iteration of this discussion. Most of these “should” ideas start in the right place, but they start in one person’s social, cultural, physical context. “It’s nice for a man to hold the door for a woman” is not that far removed from “I’ll just cross the street to ease her mind.”

The problem comes along when people disagree, because disagree is hard. It hurt brain to think. It hurt brain to talk. Agree easy, agree feel gooood.

Disagreement is absolutely critical to society, and it just doesn’t work very well on the internet.

So, @volv1992 , don’t talk to this person about crossing the street, talk to them about Disagreement. Then deliberately find common ground. “What can we agree on?”

Corduroy, for example. Why Corduroy? I just wondered why it lasted into the 00’s, only to read that it is coming around again. One result headline called it ‘The McRib of fashion’.

Anyhow, good luck! Do not disengage from meat-based interactions! Courage!

4 Likes

Western universities are also actively fomenting a cultural of moral absolutism instead of critical thinking

That was exactly my impression. You don’t need to cross the street every single time there’s a woman in the vicinity - this isn’t bloody Saudi Arabia - but occasionally, if you use your judgement, it makes a certain sort of sense. It’s certainly something you could have a friendly discussion about, surely.

TBH I think there’s more background to this story. Maybe the friend in question does all sorts of other annoying crap. But I can’t understand why the OP picked this particular point of contention. I get the feeling the last two years of “social distancing”, Zoom calls, and similar bullshit has messed up people’s ability to rub along nicely with others.

1 Like

When i was there, the women weren’t allowed to go out without a close male relative. For their protection from this kind of thing. So basically, social justice is sharia?

I was having this and similar conversations at uni from 2014 to 2018ish, when i basically stopped talkimg to all those people because i was tired of the religious argumentation. At least the Saudis left me alone and paid me well

1 Like