Turns out you should totally eat the egg shells

According to research by the University of Florida , a single eggshell contains 2.2 grams of calcium, twice the recommended daily intake.

Previous findings also suggest that the calcium found in eggshells is more easily absorbed than other sources of the mineral.

2 Likes

How though? Just chew it up separately? Grind it?
(After boiling to remove salmonella)

1 Like

You should boil them in the water for 30min first. Some people grind them and out them in stuff.

1 Like

But they’re such an awful sensory experience. Nothing feels less edible than a piece of eggshell.

Surely there are more palatable sources for easily absorbed calcium…?

3 Likes

You grind them up. You won’t even taste it.

I’ll ask my potted plants for confirmation…

3 Likes

Do you do this?

Not really convinced. Dieticians are always coming up with bizarre non-sequiturs. Personally I’d rather eat some yoghurt and give the ground-up eggshells to the chickens. Or, as hannes said, just put them on the plants. Many edible plants contain a useful amount of calcium - green leaves, tomatoes, etc.

I’m not sure it’s dieticians coming up with this. The first time I heard about it is from people who eat the carnivore diet.

Sometimes.

Then I expect no less than another @Andrew0409 food adventure in the recipe thread :grin:

It doesn’t really add anything. You just to a pinch into food and it makes no difference.

1 Like

Animals are way ahead of us.

7 Likes

Ahh OK, figures. A diet of mostly meat likely carries a risk of Ca/Mg deficiency. For the rest of us, though, it seems a bit pointless.

On a tenuously-related note, it turns out some people are basically allergic to vegetables. All plants carry various toxins and antinutritional factors, but apparently lectins in particular are a big deal for certain people, causing all kinds of gut malfunction. So although I personally wouldn’t enjoy a carnivore diet, it could be that some people can’t function on anything else.

1 Like

Personally, I’d rather get osteoporosis than eat eggshells.

4 Likes

They just squeeze the egg and spit out the shell.

Can’t I just have soft shell crabs instead?

2 Likes

Salad gives me the two bob bits, without fail.

Uhhh… Eggshells can contain salmonella. Yes, boiling kills salmonella but some other types of bacteria can survive.

Eat shit, you die. :idunno:

1 Like

What about those ammonia eggs? Hundred year eggs? Those must be loaded with something.