Turns out you should totally eat the egg shells

It’s a phenomenon akin to integrator windup following actuator saturation in mechanical systems. Power is coming in at such a high rate that it elicits an insulin response near or beyond the top end of your body’s physical limit; then, as the food is digested and that power flow abates, there’s a bit of lag as the control loop “catches up”, so you end up with a glucose overshoot during the initial digestive peak followed by an undershoot.

There’s a psychological impact associated with that - something like a “high” on the peak followed by lethargy on the downslope. I suspect this is why people get addicted to carby foods.

If you persist with this kind of diet your body attempts to calibrate it out, but because there’s a severe error in the initial response it ends up making things worse; the peak gets higher and the trough gets lower. People end up craving a carb hit at 2am and raiding the refrigerator for cake.

I used to have working dogs on a small pig farm , I would let them eat the egg shells. Good for their bones. ButI stress they were working dogs I am not sure they would do well in a toy dog’s digestive system.

1 Like

I know people who do well on low carb. I tried Atkins a for a few weeks at a stretch and felt miserable the whole time. Lost weight but felt like crap. That said, the more I exercise the less I crave carbs.

…vegetable oil, cheese, milk, olives, avocados, nuts, peanut butter, tofu, yogurt…

Of course, for vegans the dairy and egg options are gone. That makes it significantly more limiting.

1 Like

Yeah, when the vegans dropped in asking “how do you do low-carb vegan” my advice was usually “don’t be vegan”. I have an acquaintance who is Buddhist-vegan and has a moderate-carb diet with a lot of coconut oil and other plant fats. She’s not particularly healthy IMO, but she’s doing OK. I don’t think there’s any other route for people who absolutely won’t touch dairy or eggs.

So many people get the wrong idea about low-carb and get obsessed with staying “keto”, which is pointless at best. The main features of a low-carb diet are (a) eat plenty of veg (b) add some fats, from wherever and (c) avoid eating mountains of starch at every single meal. Most people end up consuming (on the average) somewhere around 100g of net carbs per day, which is quite a lot. It just doesn’t seem like a lot in the context of the typical Western diet.

Never have been a fan of radical ideas, so vegan or keto is not really appealing to me. But learning about keto made me realize how much carbs l had been consuming and how little fat. Always a good idea to find a healthy balance. Eggshells are not crucial to achieve that of course.

1 Like