TW fishing boat attacked close to the Philippines

chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/intl … 2C+News%29

taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003561896

TW says Philippine navy gunboat attacked its fishing boat. Philippines denies any such thing.

Pirates maybe?

[quote=“tommy525”]http://www.chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/intl-community/2013/05/10/378189/1-dead.htm?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+forumosa%2Fchinapost+(China+Post+Online+-+Taiwan%2C+News)

taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003561896

TW says Philippine navy gunboat attacked its fishing boat. Philippines denies any such thing.

Pirates maybe?[/quote]

but then what’s the point of shooting up a boat without getting anything from it?

Other fishermen chasing them away from their fishing areas? Perhaps Philippines fishermen?

or maybe the Taiwanese had a little gun battle of their own just for fun (Whisbee and binlang being what they are), and when one of them got shot to death, decided they’d throw the guns overboard and make up a story about being attacked?

[quote=“urodacus”]Other fishermen chasing them away from their fishing areas? Perhaps Philippines fishermen?

or maybe the Taiwanese had a little gun battle of their own just for fun (Whisbee and binlang being what they are), and when one of them got shot to death, decided they’d throw the guns overboard and make up a story about being attacked?[/quote]

So far the story is their boat left Xiao-Liu-Qiu, and around 10AM yesterday they were within the Taiwanese defined fishing region at around N20, E123. 170 nautical miles east-south-east of Eluanbi. It would place them to somewhere around this point: maps.google.com/maps?q=N20,+E12 … 79&t=m&z=7

Some boat in black and white (top half white, bottom half black) came up to about 40 meters and started firing. The personnels on the black and white boat were in orange uniforms. The captain of the fishing boat sped up to flee and the pursuit lasted an hour. The captain’s father Hong Shi-Cheng was shot in the back and died. The boat eventually lost manipulability due to damage, and needed to be towed back.

so which country wears those uniforms and a description of the attacking boat should reveal the type of boat and nationality of the men on it?

taiwannews.com.tw/etn/news_c … id=2217638

oops looks like it ws a phil boat . they admitted it, but didnt apologize, just regretted loss of life

wanted to immobilize the ship

i think this could be the start of some nasty shit between taiwan and phillippines

unless they come to terms quickly

wonder what would happen if it was a mainland fishing boat that the phil navy fired on ?

What a bunch of cowards. If it were PRC fishermen I bet they wouldn’t have the guts to do anything more than whine about it to the media

Indeed. :frowning:

News from the Philippines…

Armand Balilo

English Version
channelnewsasia.com/news/asi … 70056.html

cna.com.tw/News/aOPL/201305100179-1.aspx

[quote]
The spokes person of the Filipino Coast Guard, Armandbalilo , told reporters: “They fired at the machinery to disable it. If somebody died, they deserve our sympathy but not an apology.”

Balilo said the 30-metre (100-foot) coastguard vessel initially saw two fishing vessels and tried to approach them. He said the coastguard crew fired at the smaller of the two vessels after it tried to ram the Filipino boat.

“They fired at the machinery to disable it. They were able to disable the vessel although they were not aware at the time that somebody had been hit,” he said.

Balilo said the coastguard quickly left the area after it saw a third vessel, “a big white ship”, come into view. “Our people felt threatened so they left the area,” he said.[/quote]

So sad, you can tell anyone that this dude is Taiwanese and people probably wouldn’t blink twice… The spot seems like it’s well off any islands, the shooting seems unnecessary.

And the last part of what he said sounds like bullshit. They were there to defend their waters, and shot at the fishing boats, but when some bigger white ship comes, there’s suddenly no need to at least stand their ground? They knew full well they killed a dude.

Lots of vitriol on local social networking sites. People talking about beating up their neighbor’s Filipino maid to get revenge. This is not headed in the right direction.

yup, and they actually have the cojones , all they will do is end up beating up a bunch of Indonesians…

it’s sad, they don’t even see the racism… oh well… what’s a Taiwanese American to do…

it’s funny when it’s the Philippines, there’s no shortage of warmongering, when it comes to China it’s like they all just drank super hot tea.

And China is getting busy at yelling at the Philippines, it’s all very sickening.

shoot first ask second. its what the Taiwan Navy should do. After all its not like Filipinos haven’t been “detaining” Taiwanese fishermen and demand ransom for ages.

I am glad China is saying something, hopefully its more than sabre-rattling.

The people on that boat fucked up. Not the Phil govt. Which taiwan is actually quite close to. I think the TW govt will keep a lid on things. The phil govt has to hang someone out to dry tho and money has to change hands.

Its not unimaginable that the phil gunboat decided to act macho (remember there were some fishery officials on board) but probably didnt mean to kill anyone.

Then a TW gunboat (or maybe it was a Chinese gunboat?) showed up on the horizon and they said “fuck , lets get out of here”. Which was probably a good thing as the TW gunboat couldve been goaded into firing back.

Then we have a much more sticky situ.

[quote=“tommy525”]The people on that boat fucked up. Not the Phil govt. Which taiwan is actually quite close to. I think the TW govt will keep a lid on things. The phil govt has to hang someone out to dry tho and money has to change hands.

Its not unimaginable that the phil gunboat decided to act macho (remember there were some fishery officials on board) but probably didnt mean to kill anyone.

Then a TW gunboat (or maybe it was a Chinese gunboat?) showed up on the horizon and they said “fuck , lets get out of here”. Which was probably a good thing as the TW gunboat couldve been goaded into firing back.

Then we have a much more sticky situation.[/quote]

Considering Taiwan’s over 2000 ton Coast Guard ship Tainan packing 60mm guns patrols the area, it’s easy to see why they were in a hurry to leave,after chasing the fishing boat for hours.

[quote=“Maxxis”][quote=“tommy525”]The people on that boat fucked up. Not the Phil govt. Which taiwan is actually quite close to. I think the TW govt will keep a lid on things. The phil govt has to hang someone out to dry tho and money has to change hands.

Then we have a much more sticky situation.[/quote]

Considering Taiwan’s over 2000 ton Coast Guard ship Tainan packing 60mm guns patrols the area, it’s easy to see why they were in a hurry to leave,after chasing the fishing boat for hours.[/quote]

And if correct that the shooting took place in PHil waters, which it didnt because Phil waters is only up to 12 nautical miles off its shores.

It was in the Phil economic zone, which overlaps Taiwans, meaning vessels from both can fish there.

So they knew they were outgunned and left.

But a bigger incident was avoided, because the TW vessel wouldve been compelled to fire back.

Possibly sinking the PHil coast guard vessel.

[quote=“tommy525”]

And if correct that the shooting took place in PHil waters, which it didnt because Phil waters is only up to 12 nautical miles off its shores.

It was in the Phil economic zone, which overlaps Taiwans, meaning vessels from both can fish there.

So they knew they were outgunned and left.

But a bigger incident was avoided, because the TW vessel wouldve been compelled to fire back.

Possibly sinking the PHil coast guard vessel.[/quote]

it means the Pinoys have no right to shoot at the fishing boat in the first place. Anyway, a coastguard ship should just warn and watergun ships they don’t welcome. Firing at a fishing boat seems brutal.

Hey, what if they were doing something illegal like drug/gun smuggling? You don’t start shooting up boats for no reason. :ponder:

Damn this means no more Mountain Dew, Gatorade or graham crackers for a few months. :bluemad:

My wife was ranting about this earlier. Normally I just STFU, but she was going on and on about how Filipinos are barbarians and the gov’t ought to expel all the foreign workers to teach them a lesson, and I just lost it. I pointed out that she was basically saying that since the gov’t didn’t have the brains to sort out a proper access agreement with the Philippines, nor the balls to chase Filipino boats out of Taiwanese waters, nor the foresight to cooperate with CITES (which has suggested a moratorium on bluefin tuna fishing), they should instead exact retribution on those least able to defend themselves, ie., a bunch of (mostly) hardworking and law-abiding people who had nothing whatsoever to do with a bunch of willy-waving assholes somewhere out in the middle of the sea. At this point I was told that I didn’t love Taiwan and I should be kicked out.

No, we don’t get along very well.

Who knows what went down out there? Nobody is ever going to find out. My opinion is that they shouldn’t have been fishing there in the first place. Nor should the Filipinos. They should simply agree to leave the overlap area alone, co-operate to enforce the ban, and allow fish stocks to recover to the point where they don’t need to go 170 bloody miles out just to snag a few tuna (yes, I know tuna are deepwater fish, but surely that’s not the only place on the planet they’re found?).

Taiwanese doesn’t like people from SE Asia or the Philippines… for whatever reason. When something like this happens it’s all the excuse they need to call for war, after all if this happened to a US vessel in the Middle East the same thing would happen.

I don’t know the whole story but from the Chinese new source Philippines claim that the boat tried to ram them, and they fired a few shots as a warning, however the boat was riddled with bullets so someone’s lying (or got their facts wrong). If they were indeed violating someone else’s space normally they would simply detain the boat/crew in question and not be shooting at them, however I have no idea what happened and it’s not like they have footage proving what happened.

Did you marry my ex-girlfriend??? :pray: