Two foreigners (Philippine & Canadian) getting married in Taiwan (2018-04)

Just here to give a final update. We’ve received the passport request, and ECAS is showing as “Decision Made” :grinning: Here is our timeline for those that may be interested.

May 1 - Documents arrived at Mississauga
June 5 - Started working on application (sponsor)
June 6 - Acknowledgement of Receipt (AOR1)
July 18 - Medical Request
July 20 - Approved as sponsor
July 23 - Medical Exam
July 31 - Passed Medical Exam (status updated on cic.gc.ca GCKEY)
August 3 - Notice of application transfer (to Hong Kong)
August 6 - Started processing application (AOR2)
Jan 16 - Interview request
Feb 21 - Interview (Hong Kong)
Feb 22 - Background check in progress & access to pre-arrival services
Feb 27 - ECAS shows “Decision Made”
Feb 27 - Passport Request

There is a same sex marriage in Hongkong?

There isn’t.

Now i wonder where can two gay Filipino citizen get married :thinking::thinking::thinking:

Las Vegas.

Hi! My Canadian boyfriend and I were planning to get married here in Taiwan. We are both working here. I know that the process for me is same as what you said because the Philippine embassy here won’t give me CENOMAR but my boyfriend called the Canadian consulate here and they said they can give him an affidavit to prove that he is single. Will they still allow us to get married? Because we are running out of time. He can’t go back to Canada and process it all.
I’m due in November so we want to get married before i give birth.

1 Like

You need to get your cenomar in Manila or your local province; you’ll need to use an agent (power of attorney) like I described above if you can’t go there in person. Needs to be DFA authenticated & TECO verified in Manila. You can get the power of attorney document at MECO.

1 Like

Yeah. I’m doing that already. My mom will be the one to process all my documents in the Philippines. The problem is my boyfriend. He can’t go back to Canada to get the requirements needed. We sent an email to the Canadian consulate here in Taiwan and they said they can hive him an affidavit to prove that he is single. Will the HHR accept that? Can we just get that affidavit then authenticate it here so he don’t need to fly back to Canada? We don’t really have much time since we both have work here.

I’d ask it to HHR.

It seems Canadian gov. accept a request by mail.

Authentication of documents to get married abroad
https://www.international.gc.ca/world-monde/study_work_travel-etude_travail_voyage/authentication-authentification/marriage-mariage.aspx?lang=eng

How long will it take? Can we just get the affidavit then authenticate it by the Canadian government? Will the HHR accept that? We are just worried that they will reject it cuz I’m 5 mos pregnant now. We need to get married before my due date.

According to the following page, it may be in 1 month?

https://www.international.gc.ca/world-monde/study_work_travel-etude_travail_voyage/authentication-authentification/send_documents_mail-envoi_documents_poste.aspx?lang=eng

I’d ask to HHR first tomorrow if they accept an affidavit from Canadian embassy here, or they need the Statement in Lieu of Certificate of Non-Impediment to Marriage Abroad issued in Canada.

Thank you so much. That’s a big help.

The Canadian embassy here said that they won’t give a certificate, they can just give us an affidavit and my boyfriend need to go there and sign it personally. Btw, we are both ARC holder

Get it certified by the Bureau of Consular Affairs, and that will probably be accepted by the Household Registration Office. The US has a similar document and that has worked here before.

Hi can i know your personal account? I want to ask a questions about how to do marriage here in taiwan. Im a filipina and i am working here. Thank you in advance

1 Like

Hi thanks for sharing.
I have a question, maybe not entirely relevant, but I would like to see if you can help give some advice — Me and my husband register marriage 2015 in Las Vegas. And I got Taiwan ARC last time when I was in Taiwan also for my two daughters, however, due to difficulties getting certified info. for Las Vegas registered marriage (i was told), my husband was doing visa run the whole time we were in Taiwan.
Now we are in Europe, however still wanna go back to Taiwan, it will be great that we can verify our marriage certificate and make it valid for Taiwan, then we can just apply for one ARC and the rest of the family will be sorted too.
Do you happen to know any info. about this kinda of situation? how to verify marriage certificate got in the States? especially las vegas.
Thanks a lot.
Liv

is the marriage certificate registered in Las Vegas something different from marriage certificates got at other places?

usually, it is authenticated by TECO in the area where the marriage certificate was issued.

Hi miss… Mgask lang po ako kung San ka ngpatranslate at notarized ng docs Mo?

Hi! Hindi na po kami tumuloy kasi medyo complicated po andg process sa Taiwan pag hindi resident/OFW doon ang magpapakasal. Sa Australia na lang po kami nagpakasal kasi madali kahit tourist lang :slight_smile:

Can you please explain what you mean by bureaucratic snags? My fiance and I are in the same situation, we got her a work contract as an English teacher but she is a factory worker now. She needs to go back to the Philippines and apply for a marriage visa, I’m American working in Taiwan, we would like to know more about what you said. Thanks.