Two tots die at child care on same night

chinapost.com.tw/taiwan/loca … s-face.htm

I suspect foul play at foot here. And i suspect the son !! I hope he is very closely investigated.

A computer mouse? WTF?!?!?!? You are a licensed babysitter and thats the best toy you got in your facility to give an infant?

I did think it very odd that someone could manage to kill two kids at one sitting, completely by accident. And then I realised that we’re in Taiwan, where people happily cram two kids and a dog on the scooter and drive down the wrong side of the road, splice electrical wiring together with PVC tape, and operate industrial machinery without safety interlocks or protective clothing. It could have been murder, but I think it’s equally likely it was just pure, tragic incompetence.

Very sad.

The odds are very low for two to die in the same night. But then when you read about the poor situation and skills the odds increased dramatically.

1. Looking after 4 infants at one time (Hsinchu county has no rules on number of infants to be cared for at one time, she was licensed in 2011!)
  2. Obvious lack of care and skills and babysitter has gone out leaving teenage son in charge
  3. 2 month old babies cannot be left alone especially if bottlefed, easy to choke
  4. The twins were sick and she was first distracted by them, then by taking the 8 mth old baby who had sneer strangled by the other with a cable to the hospital, thus leaving the 2 mth old in the care of her teenage son.

This story again exposes Taiwans dirty underbelly of outsourced parenting. The parents of the twins paid 70,000 NTD/mth to the babysitter for full time care! That’s a lot of money in Taiwan and they still don’t want to take care of their own babies ?!?

The other children were only brought home very late at night, after 11pm when parents return from work.

Many women/parents here don’t want to look after infant children. They will do anything to get rid of thar responsibility. Stay in the yuezizhongxin, then give the babies to the grandparents or these dodgy babysitters.

The parents must shoulder some of the blame. The government should should some blame too for poor enforcement of childcare laws and lack of welfare for some working parents.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]This story again exposes Taiwans dirty underbelly of outsourced parenting. The parents of the twins paid 70,000 NTD/mth to the babysitter for full time care! That’s a lot of money in Taiwan and they still don’t want to take care of their own babies ?!?

The other children were only brought home very late at night, after 11pm when parents return from work.

Many women/parents here don’t want to look after infant children. They will do anything to get rid of thar responsibility. Stay in the yuezizhongxin, then give the babies to the grandparents or these dodgy babysitters. [/quote]

True that. WTF is going on when (presumably) well-paid people don’t have the math skills to figure out that, at 70K a month, they’d be far better off just staying at home and looking after their own kids, nevermind any other issues. I’ve met plenty of parents earning less than that who still can’t be arsed to look after their own sprogs. They must be literally handing over every penny of their earnings to pay for babysitting and the expenses of going to work.

I can only assume that - as you say - people simply don’t want to spend time with their kids. So why bother? is it just to please the grandparents?

Something is rotten in the province of Chinese Taipei, that’s for sure.

As a father of one infant and one young child taking care of kids is hard, especially when they are young! And messy!
People don’t want to deal with it. Many times my wife has been approached by ‘popo’s’ who say she’s pretty special looking after her own young children like that. Some of the Popo’s like to look after the kids, some of them just help out by obligation etc.

Sexism alert :bow: Many young women in Taiwan don’t want to deal with the babies, they want the baby to become a cute young boy/girl and then they will take over the reins. Meanwhile they can enjoy a relatively free and easy life. But even when they take the the kids back it’s only a partial effort, because the kid will still spend most of their days until grown up in the care of other people…such as grandparents/kindergardens/schools/anqinbans/buxibans…etc etc.

As Finley said it is NOT only about money, there’s a lot more to it than that. And yes, a fair percentage seem to have kids to fulfill familial obligations. Breed the son.

Outsourced parenting folks. I have called this a society that is sick before and I repeat it again.

There is indeed a serious malaise, not only limited to lowere strata of society, as one might initially think, but rather spread. Recently, there have been many cases of child cruelty on the news, since a renowed case perpetrator’s sentence was reduced, creating public outrage and sparking another White Rose March. To make matters worse, this time of the year is rampant with such cases, as HH has said, that people who normally do not spend time with their kids suddenly find themselves entrusted with bored children 24/7 in tense family situations.

There was a case recently that embodies this and has been bothering me a lot. Not exactly child care, but obviously a case where the parents just passed the ball and consider money more important than their kid’s life. Sensitive people , please do not read.

An elementary school child was beaten to death by his parents when they discovered he stole 200 thousand nts from them. The parents blamed the school, as they had asked it to monitor the kid’s activities and tell them where he was spending that money, and stated that it was the school’s responsibility to do so.

I don’t know, but I understand kids in dangerous situations, such as an underage parent, drug or alcoholic family environment, etc. to be at risk and likely to meet an early demise. But paying 70K or more… yet this has happened before in kindergardens even, with several teachers. Too many children? Greed then to blame? Too painful, me thinks.

35k per child? I find that hard to believe. Tragic accident.

Well that’s what they say, she was looking after the twins full-time, supposedly making 100k/mth (other two kids were daycare@15k ea.).

According to new regulations coming in at the end of this year, a babysitter can look after 4 infants simultaneously, which is crazy in my book.

Another case today: nanny dropped kid, did not take to te hospital for a checkup but assumed as he was crying he was OK. Next day, baby was unconscious, so she took him to the hospital. Too late.

Makes me sick to hear shit like this.

The one where the baby was dropped and crying could have happened to anyone, and I feel terribly sorry for the nanny. If there wasn’t bleeding, bumps, or unconsciousness, few sensible people would’ve taken the baby in to the hospital just to check.

The rest…grrr.

Its awful. I dont know why anyone would pay a nanny 35,000 nt/month and then still slave at their jobs and make the same plus/minus.

Women in that situ should stay home and take care of their own kids.

Of course, many women may be worse at looking after kids and some mothers murder their own kids too with that post partum illness, etc.

Shit happens when its the moms taking care of the tots too.

Not all kids in daycare or round the clock care have working mothers. Some simply don’t want to take care of the infants. My wife met a doctors wife last year that was doing this. She was then free to enjoy her free time until weekends. Many don’t breastfeed the kids either mainly because it will ‘destroy their looks’.

I think ther eis pressure for women to keep on working. If they stop working, returning to the work market is close to impossible. Bosses here are quite fond of firing pregnant women just for being pregnant and you can ask any Taiwanese woman how the glass ceilimng is set so low that it doesn’t matter if you are single, heaven forbid if you have a boyfriend. And if married, getting ajob is hard enough, let alone keeping it. Many women hide the fact that they are pregnant, in order to keep their jobs.

It wouldn’t surprise me that the in-laws pressure women to keep on working. And yes, I do not understand how with salaries of 20 to 30K each, a family making 60K tops has to pay childcare still.

As to the ones that choose nanny care, well, they just probably don’t know how to do it. Like sending kids to boarding school abroad and seeing them 2 or 3 times a year. For me, that is awful. But for people who never had paternal/mothering skills to begin with, and probably had absent parents themselves, actually trying to take the reins of their kids upbringing would be like trying to pilot a jet midflight… while holding only a driver’s license.

In such case, yes, there are certain people who really shouldn’t have kids -that thought flashes through my mind every time I see someone slap a kid or treat a kid like an adult, or when the kid talks back to adults as equals- well, how are you going to enforce that? Who’s going to decide?

[quote=“tsukinodeynatsu”]The one where the baby was dropped and crying could have happened to anyone, and I feel terribly sorry for the nanny. If there wasn’t bleeding, bumps, or unconsciousness, few sensible people would’ve taken the baby in to the hospital just to check.

The rest…grrr.[/quote]

Yep, it happens a lot, and the baby was dropped on padded floor. Yet, it is recommended that after such incidents as blows to the head, one should not allow baby to go to sleep and must keep careful observation. Babies are resilient but I would guess that a trained nanny would have been taught to err on the side of caution with other people’s babies and take baby to hospital. People here go to the hospital for paper cuts and colds, no biggie. Problem is that now nannies are under great scruteny due to these incidents, so even an honest mistake could escalate into major media frenzy.

Gee, I was dropped a few times myself, and I am OKish, no? :stuck_out_tongue: :cookie: :tic: :smiley:

They can’t easily go to the hospital as they usually have other infants to take care of. For instance in this case she had another infant and also her 5 year old son. When you ask other people to take care of babies you are taking a risk.

I agree that for many many parents there is not much choice in terms of the job market. There is discrimination against married women, pregnant women, and also against them when they return to the workforce.

Now take the situation of a real honest guy here, let’s call him bob_honest for now. Bob works in IT company, married to his Taiwan boss who is thank goodness a girl (boss-es) and they get a baby, both being over 40. Her quitting the job to take care of junior would put also our honest bob’s job at risk, who knows which old bills some management competitors may want to settle and … with over 40 one is prone to getting laid off anyway. Of course little bob_honest here is so good with his foreign Linux and Unix magic they would never do that. But why take the risk? Having two times no job and income would not be fun. Especially with a newborn baby.
And wife returning to the job market a while later? Yeah, dream on. Maybe at Seven-Eleven. IT companies here like young people. Even Seven likes young people. My mum tells me I look 10 years younger. Would they hire wife again? I do not think so. She is a good manager now, competent and well settled in her network. Giving that up on purpose would look like retiring at this moment.

So we took her mum to take care of junior. Junior is now 1 year plus and doing great. I honestly was not sure if she is up to the task but wife said yes and she was right. Life is a gamble. The gods love me and so I won.

Being judgmental is easy. Actually living through it is a different pair of shoes.

In your case, it seems a good decision.

Not every case is thus, though. The doctor’s wife mentioned above should probably just have never had kids.