Typhoon! 2004 - Part 2

The latest CNN weather forecast said that they are projecting a direct hit on Taiwan in about 5 days, which would be about Wednesday … but I’ve learned not to get my hopes up since whenever I’m looking forward to getting a well-deserved day off, it turns and heads off to Japan … why oh why didn’t I study Japanese instead?! :blush:

Well, as expected, the Joint Typhoon Warning Center now has it heading off to Japan … what a bummer … :frowning:

npmoc.navy.mil/jtwc/warnings/wp2704.gif

[quote=“Toe Save”]
Maybe we could do a Kabuki version of Paint My Wagon…

“The Wind they call Toe-Kaaahh-Geeee…”

Which role do you want Richard, The Clint one or the Lee one?[/quote]
I thought it was pronounced “toke - age”.
No tokeage in Taiwan. Too bad. So sad.

Well, there’s always 28W, right behind Tokage, to hope for:

what’s the use? they ALWAYS turn!

Why is it so windy and rainy if there’s no typhoon? I got in the shower this morning to find out that my water heater had blown out. And now it’s pissing down. What gives?

This might be the outer edge of Tokage. Possibly.

It looked that way on the CNN maps.

Interesting… Anyone up for a trip to Yilan to look at the monster coming in?

Likely to be last chance this year.

Do they offer a cruise ship package?

We never get Typhoons. We just get annoying spells of rain because they always turn at the last minute. That means I have to ride my motor bike to work in the rain instead of having a day off. Annoying.
The last flippin’ typhoon we had I got stranded in HK. Everyone had a day off while I spent the day at the airport watching repeats of CNN.

[quote=“Dangermouse”]We never get Typhoons. We just get annoying spells of rain because they always turn at the last minute. That means I have to ride my motor bike to work in the rain instead of having a day off. Annoying.
The last flippin’ typhoon we had I got stranded in HK. Everyone had a day off while I spent the day at the airport watching repeats of CNN.[/quote]Yes, right, tell that to all those poor sods who’s houses were flooded or washed away entirely. Not everyone gets a day off. I never get typhoon days off, ever. You had to ride your motorbike in the rain. BFH.

Those of us who do get days off for typhoons look well set to be taking it easy on either Monday or Tuesday or possibly both.

But I’m feeling a bit uneasy about the huge amounts of rain it might bring, and it seems there are grounds to fear that it could unleash as much death and destruction here as Tokage did in Japan a few days ago.

If the current predictions hold, then we are looking at having it traverse the whole east coast,filling up reservoirs already brimming with water, and washing out a few aboriginal villages while dumping rain on us. I hope that it will pass us by, as we would appear to have enough water for the time being.

One thing I wonder above is how much deth and dcestruction is caused by the typhoon alone and how much is caused by human stupidity. I am here thinking of building Xizhi on a river plain, building villages on mountain slopes, doing the same with high-end communities on the slopes of hills all over Taiwan, cutting down mountain forest for the sake of growing betel nuts and the like.

I feel that most destruction could be averted if they managed the land here better.

With the recent earthquakes, this typhoon could unleash some deadly landslides. Take care everybody!

Careful Mr. He. Annette Lu said the same thing a couple of months ago and it somehow got spun as her saying that Aboriginals are stupid. Now, she has said a lot of whacky things before, but this wasn’t one of them. Too bad the phrase “land management” is now branded a kooky Annette Lu idea.

Flooding happened to me in Kaohsiung.
:raspberry:

Once with a typhoon and once with typhoon associated rain. The typoon associated rain version was alot worse for some reason.

To the wish-we-had-a-typhoon-day foundation: Your luck might be in this time! Just saw that typhoon Nock-ten is heading this way. Heavy rain is predicted for northern and eastern Taiwan tomorrow and Tuesday. Who knows…you just might get that phone call…no work - typhoon day! But then, the bastards do have the tendency to veer away.

And the government has the tendency not to call off work/school when they should, and call it off when they shouldn’t … :unamused:

for a chart prediction - try the chart of nock-ten I posted on the previous page. :wink: