Typhoon! 2004 - Part 2

SB, there’s heavy flooding in Badu and Qidu, very close to Xizhi. If you go out, there’s a possibility you might not be able to get home. I know this from experience. We got trapped in Jilong by a typhoon a few years ago.

Brian

The question is…Would SB mind being trapped in Carnegie’s? Or is that part of his Master Plan?
Muahahahahahahaha…etc.

So do we work tomorrow?

Here’s a piece of news: This reporter from TTV was in Keelung giving a report about the taiphoon by the river, when he was engulfed by the water. They found his body upstream and he’s in the hospital now in ‘critical condition’
http://www.ttv.com.tw/news/html/093/10/0931025/09310254344307I.htm

Somewbody just called and said that Da-an Park looks like a battlefield, with loads of trees down. Is this true?

[quote]Here’s a piece of news: This reporter from TTV was in Keelung (Jilong) giving a report about the taiphoon by the river, when he was engulfed by the water. They found his body upstream and he’s in the hospital now in ‘critical condition’
[/quote]

That kind of reminds me of the Taiwanese tourists several years ago who on a safari trip to South Africa wanted to get a better picture of some lions lounging around in the background of their photo while they poised with their smiling faces. So, they decided to stand a bit to close to Simba and company…yep…you guessed it. Lunch!

[quote=“Sinister Tiddlywinks”]Here’s a piece of news: This reporter from TTV was in Keelung (Jilong) giving a report about the taiphoon by the river, when he was engulfed by the water. They found his body upstream and he’s in the hospital now in ‘critical condition’
http://www.ttv.com.tw/news/html/093/10/0931025/09310254344307I.htm[/quote]

He just died.

I don’t want to be morbid, but of the four people who were swept away at the sluice at Yuanshantse, two of them were TV reporters. I wonder if the surviving TV guy got any footage? The three survived, by the way.
They were waiting for the premier to come on an inspection tour that was cancelled due to the weather (D’uh!).

I might head out to Carnages … Some friends are at Dan Ryans and already gotten food from the outside.

So what is this Typhoon’s rating? Seems it be equivalent to Hurricane category 3 or 4.

According to the weather authorities this was a medium level typhoon. That would probably be a category 3 hurricane. I don’t know any exact details on the criteria for categorixing storms. But, this typhoon does have guts exceeding 100 knots. A category Super Typhoon would be more similar to a category 4 or 5 hurricane. They do get that powerful out there in the Pacific but normally weaken a bit before land fall. Guam has had some real gems in the past.

The local scene also has some rating levels for the force of wind. It goes up to level 16, which would be way up there over 200km/hr. They said that this one reached level 12 in Taipei, which means there were some gusts over 100 knots. It is hard to feel blasts that big in the protective alleys and lanes in the city, but if you are up in the mountains or open areas of Taipei you will definitely feel it. And if you are on your scooter, you could get knocked off your horse.

So, what did everyone do today since they had a vacation day?

This one was Category 3. Super-typhoons are Category 5.

I went for a slow run in Mucha :slight_smile:

So is tomorrow a work day or what?

Anybody know what the situation in Sanchong/Xinzhuang is like? That’s where I work.

Thanks in advance

waigui

Anybody know what the situation in Sanchong/Xinzhuang is like? That’s where I work.

Thanks in advance

waigui

[quote=“peacewarrior”]Anybody know what the situation in Sanchong/Xinzhuang is like? That’s where I work.

Thanks in advance

waigui[/quote]

Xinzhuang is fine. Just windy now.

This evening in Taipei was just fine and dandy. Had a nice dinner at old stalwart Carnages. :beer:

I started counting all the scooters lying on their sides in the car park at the top of Lotus Hill, but lost count around 25.

Also saw what I thought was a rubber glove, barking at the side of the road. It was a dog blown inside out.

Yellow Cartman wrote [quote]This evening in Taipei was just fine and dandy. Had a nice dinner at old stalwart Carnages. [/quote]

You’re home to post something at 10:24 and it was a good evening! :laughing:
I laugh in your general direction.

My typhoon strategy: get as wet inside as it is outside. Yeah, it’s very Taoist, very Yin-Yang. :beer: :beatnik:

Tomorrow is a work day in Taibei city.

This is a level 12 typhoon and Taipei 101 was swaying quite badly at the higher floors according to news…and reported at that rate, people could feel extremely giddy.

It can however take on typhoons up to level 16-17

Thumbs up for Taipei 101 architecture which had braved thru fairly serious earthquake and typhoon…