Typhoon! 2004 - Part 2

The world series is taking place outside your window? In this weather? You’re kidding. This kind of wind’ll blow your balls away. I think you must be hallucinating already, a common phenomenonenon brought about by the weather in these parts.

Why is it called the world series anyway?

Stand by for more pointless and futile discussions as more and more people turn to forumosa to alleviate the boredom of yet another bloody typhoon.

Jeez! This one is a real doozy. I swear the building is swaying with the big gusts.

Yellow Cartman wrote:

I’ve been through quite a few typhoons here and in the last hour or so these are some of the highest winds I can remember. Certainly in the last three or four years. It’s actually a bit unnerving, wondering if something is going to some flying through the window. You certainly wouldn’t want little school kids wandering around in these winds.

Stragbasher wrote:

Damage wrote:

[quote]It’s 8am and I have no idea what I’m going to do today.

I like days off when there is a holiday and I can go outside and enjoy it a bit, but I have a feeling today is going to be boooooooring![/quote]

This day is like a godsend to me. I slept in to a decent hour instead of rising at the ungodly hour of 6:00 a.m. I can finally have the time to email and web surf to my heart

Hubris from a nation in love with superlatives.

Eye don’t see?

npmoc.navy.mil/jtwc/satshots/wp2804sams.jpg

The Li Jiang and Keepers of the Tannoy have gone into overdrive outside my window. Already unhealthily fascinated with the sounds of their own voices, the present lull in the storm has provided an opportunity for breathless, panicky gibberish to be broadcast at 400db to a community just trying to get an extra little bit of fucking sleep. (What is it with Chinese people and this childish need for constant noise and babble?)

[quote=“Interlocutor”]This day is like a godsend to me. I slept in to a decent hour instead of rising at the ungodly hour of 6:00 a.m. I can finally have the time to email and web surf to my heart

My thoughts exactly. I just moved a couple of months ago to Banqiao, and the Li Zhang here has to be one of the most “luo suo” people I’ve ever heard. He broadcast several times last night, people were setting off fireworks somewhere nearby, and it seems like the damn garbage trucks came through a few extra times. Taiwan has got to be the noisiest damn place on earth, and add to that the typhoon … :fume:

A hurricane is a typhoon by another name. [/quote]

I know that. And this is relatively wimpy.

If public transportation is running, then it’s not worthy of a shutdown… as it is here in Taipei County. Local food merchants are open here, taxis running and scooters and pedestrians are still traveling.

Much to do about nothing.

and since my attempt at humor, my power has flicked off not once, but twice :help:

i’ve angered the electricity gods - what do i do now?

[quote=“Interlocutor”]This day is like a godsend to me. I slept in to a decent hour instead of rising at the ungodly hour of 6:00 a.m. I can finally have the time to email and web surf to my heart

with the day off, i might have time to fashion one, and my buddy down the road already has the sword and shield … there’s a high mountain here too … how do you know all this? is there a peep hole in my office? :astonished:

And if the storm doesn’t come back I shall be very upset. What kind of bloody typhoons do they have in this country? If I am to have a day off I demand wind and rain in extreme quantities, not this crap.

Bring it on, I say!

xtrain_01 wrote:

Actually my adsl is running pretty slow today, it took a while just to get on. I assume it’s due to the storm.

Whatever, let it storm away. If the lights go out I’ll read by candlelight and I can see the bar just fine when it’s time for happy hour. Just let it come back on before the ice melts :wink:

I wonder if TaipeiSportsBar or Carnegie’s will be open later. What’s the odds on that?

Cable keeps cutting out. Makes watching CTI and TTV a bit tough. TVBS seems to be pretty stable though. Xizhi looks like a fun place :neutral:

Carnage made a point of opening last time and gave away beer at silly prices to encourage people to go there too. I’m thinking of heading down there. Any others? We could sit on the verandah and watch the girls blow past.

is that it? rain has stopped by taipei 101… still have heavy winds though. anyone know if it’s passed?

You can’t call this nothing.

More trees than normal down outside. If everyone was at school and work, there’d be a lto fo accidents.

There’s flooding up to two stories in parts of Northern Taipei like Jilong ans Shuangxi.

Brian

oops

Yellow Cartman wrote:

A good bet I’d say. These days are a boon for business for those places. Suddenly a slow Monday becomes a cash cow.

I just found out Costco is open. I’m heading out now to restock the bar.

I just heard that Carnegie’s is having happy hour until close tonight. I dunno if I’ll venture that far. What’s the latest forecast? The last thing I need is to be trying to drive home drunk with the entire Pacific Ocean falling sideways out of the sky.