Typhoon 2008

Problem lies at take off and landing. There are tight regulations on this, and besides I don’t think the pilots would fly unless they felt it was safe. They will divert on occasions to avoid bumpy weather. This is for the benefit of the passengers. The plane is well designed to take rough weather and more

Take off and landing may be bumpy. Therefore don’t eat too much, or drink coffee or the like that may lend itself to puking/vomiting

I have flown out of Taiwan in a typhoon and into Taiwan in the remnants of a typhoon, and was less bumpy than I expected

I don’t think the models are in great disagreement at this point. Here are some of the paths overlaid:

it just went past us 2 days ago,a lot of rain but nothing amazing,it’s not a major one

So how come more than 800 look to have dorwned after that ferry went down on the way to Cebu?

HG

It hasn’t been a strong one; it’s not well formed. But it only takes a few high waves to sink a leaky bucket of bolts.

Another sad, sad story. :frowning:

Folks, do not take this “storm” lightly. Remember, the slower it goes, the more rain it drops on us… Several other “only tropical storms” have also caused horrible destruction previously.

As to the Filipino ferry tragedy, peace to their families. They did try to get out, but even the rafts were overturned by the wind. Nevertheless, I hope many other people swam ashore and are still scattered around.

Found out now that I am not able to change the flight as it is a BA ticket, so non changeable, even the same day! Typical BA. So, I will go to the airport early, see what I can do if I chat nicely to Cathay and then ride the roller coaster. Damn Phoons! None of this in Old Blighty, just good, old fashioned miserable grey weather. Then again, it looked sunny watching Wimbledon. What’s going on!! :sunglasses:

I hope that’s what he meant. I may or may not get delayed tomorrow, but bloody hell, nearly 800 people lost their lives through no fault of their own! How can you say ‘Oh well’!!?!?! Think about them for a change, their families etc. Nice to see humanity is alive and kicking!!

here’s today’s comparison of the tracks from different agencies:

It hasn’t really gained strength and the average track has shifted a bit westward. We’ll probably still get a bit of heavy rain on the west coast, esp. SW, but I don’t think we’re going to get high winds here in the capital. Guangdong and Fujian may get creamed, with heavy flooding, though.

Cloudy, humid as hell but quiet at present here in HK. Clouds are moving quickly above . . all classic pre-phoonery.

HG

Sunny and cloudy here, not very fast clouds.

Thank for taking this one, H

I removed two posts, no name calling please.

Edit: The same goes for flame-baiting, Surly.

Thanks.

[quote=“Mr He”]Sunny and cloudy here, not very fast clouds.

Thank for taking this one, H[/quote]

Me? No thanks. Those over bureaucratised arseholes here in HK have a weird system for letting people home from school and work. You have to wait for a T8 announcement, which pretty much means a typhoon is about to smash your house down. Why they choose this point to release all the kiddies and office rats is completely beyond me, but it usually means everyone has very limited time to get home before they shutdown the public transport.

The last time I was sent home because of a typhoon, the ferries had stopped, the pubs were shut and I was left drenched and strolling around town searching for a beer while avoiding flying aircons.

HG

This’d be a lot more fun if we took bets on the tracks, with a round at a pub riding on it. :smiley:

[quote=“Dragonbones”]

This’d be a lot more fun if we took bets on the tracks, with a round at a pub riding on it. :smiley:[/quote]

Yeah I should have stuck with my first feeling. First rule of gambling, lol.

I split of some posts to here as it was going too far off-topic: Philippine ferry disaster (split from Typhoon 2008)

JTWC has shifted their track westward too, and it looks like Taiwan is going to be spared what little ‘brunt’ there is, as the thing whimpers and peters out.

Sorry folks, no Wednesday off after all! :frowning:

guess i’ll be racing this weekend then.

tanks China, for copping this one.

Damn!

“The Hong Kong Observatory have indicated that the Typhoon Signal may change from 3 to 8 in the early hours of tomorrow as Tropical Storm Fengshen moves closer to Hong Kong.”

I’ve just explained to my underlings that, “they only tell you to go home and be safe, they don’t say anything about not working once you get there.”

I like being a manager . . .

HG

Let’s hope by the late hours of tomorrow evening there’s no fuss and bother. I’m going to be getting to Tai Po late enough as it is, and being delayed by a tropical storm (not even “severe”!) would not be fun.