Typhoon 2008

And I certainly hope that my flight is cancelled on Wednesday afternoon! I think that excuse will be better accepted, as opposed to “I was scared shitless to fly in a typhoon, so I overstayed, so sorry.”

It wont be. I flew CX one time when there was a foon between HK and TPE and we skirted the outer edges of the foon. Got bumped around pretty badly for bout 30 mins and then alls quiet. The pilots will take you to the edge of the storm but the flights will go on. Just dont be having your meal when the roller coasting begins. I had to hold onto my meal tray the whole 30 mins and keep the contents from spilling about as well.

MY then GF held onto her tray with one hand and managed to finish her meal, roller coasting thru it.

My advice: fly out a day earlier.

Good Lord, I would be crapping my pants, flying in that sort of weather! There has to be a better solution.

My flight is scheduled to arrive in Taiwan on Wednesday evening… maybe I’ll have to stay in Manila for a night…

yes, all bets are off

But, when was the last time you heard of a plane crashing in a typhoon? Probably be bright and sunny if it happens.

But, when was the last time you heard of a plane crashing in a typhoon?[/quote]

In Taipei? Eight years ago. But that was due to chabuduo practices at the airport as much as anything, and I’m sure they’ve learned a lesson from that and cleaned up their act. :wink:

But, no worry, I’m sure you’ll all be ok. After all it’s still safer flying in a typhoon than it is crossing the street in Taiwan, right?

Besides, you still have a few days. It still may change course.

And almost 9 years to the day, a Mandarin Airlines (subsidiary of China Airlines) crashed while landing in HK

[quote]World: Asia-Pacific - Plane crashes in typhoon

A China Airlines jet has crash landed at Hong Kong’s Chek Lap Kok airport during a tropical storm - killing two people and injuring about 200 of the 315 on board.

China Airlines said about 20 of those on board were seriously injured when the plane crashed and flipped over on the runway.

Witnesses said the jet, en route from Bangkok to Taipei, caught fire as it was trying to land during a tropical storm. [/quote]

Here’s the video. youtube.com/watch?v=JuoeYaR4MP4

HG

aviation-safety.net/database/rec … 19931104-0

not to mention this almost brand new 747 that landed during a tropical storm in KaiTak and didnt quite stop !! Ended up in the drink. No loss of passengers or crew but the plane was a write off.

Fengshen has claimed a ferry with 230 passengers in the Philippines.

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/front/archives/2008/06/23/2003415485

Thanks guys for all the nice motivation coming over here, anyone some more plane crash videos, case studies etc. At least I will die with exactly knowing whats going on than. :smiley:

I guess it will be a real good rollercoaster ride at 7:20 pm tomorrow and my last time arriving in HK was already great with 3 tries till we made on landing because of gusty winds.

Hopefully not as bumpy as this.

tw.youtube.com/watch?v=oq7L4J4El74&NR=1

HG

I don’t think I am going to risk the Tues night rollercoaster. We are going to try and get out today, as it looks like it will split HK and Taiwan in 2 by tomorrow and then work its way over here. Yes, thanks guys for all the lovely images of crashes, dodgy journeys etc in a Phoon :help:

Yeah, it has sped up a little so getting out today is a much better idea. Good luck changing flights!

Looks like a rare typhoon taking the inside path. The lovely town of Tainan may get some rain and wind from this one. Quite unusual for here.

Any wind speed predictions on this one?

I hope it’s a light breeze! Flight changed to early tomorrow morning as that should be OK. Will be keeping a check on it today and may go for tonight if absolutely necessary. It is a weird one this one and who knows what will happen. I just don’t want to be flying in it to be honest, but have to as visiting relatives back home.

Tiffin, for what it’s worth, I was in Singapore last year, due to fly back to Taipei during the height of a major typhoon and I was also extremely concerned, but it completely changed path in the last day and I had a smooth flight home. So, it’s entirely possible you’ll have the same good luck, but I don’t blame you for doing what you can to better the odds. Good luck.

Yeah, hope you guys weather it out ok.

All I’ve got is what’s in the right hand side (white area) of the JTWC graphic I posted just above, with speed in knots.
Multiply by 1.15-ish for mph or read against this table.

Every agency seems to have a different path, wish I knew which one to believe.

http://www.hko.gov.hk/wxinfo/currwx/tc_pos.htm

http://www.jma.go.jp/en/typh/0806l.html

http://hurricane.accuweather.com/hurricane/basin.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=0&basin=wpacific

Actually, Tiffin, I hadn’t thought about your landing in HK (I was more focused on your TPE departure in my earlier comments), but this thing is gonna be a lot closer to HK before it turns toward Taiwan, with the storm getting uncomfortably close to HK by Tues morn 8 am and the worst for HK coming around 8pm Tues acc to my glance at the JTWC track. So if you want to be real safe, getting out tonight might not be such a bad idea. Especially if the thing speeds up any more or strengthens unexpectedly in the next 24 hours. :idunno: