Typhoon 2012

Second one of the season already forming, far away so not a drop will hit us…

EDIT II:
Most important link, where they announce closures, as per jlick:
Official Chinese Version: cpa.gov.tw/
Un-Official English Version: vps1.jameslick.com/cpa/ *

EDIT:

As per request, from Ceevee:

[quote] pulled some links together from last year’s Phoon site and its credited posters as some newbies will come up with WCIF info, sites…
Not all are listed, but these are the ones mostly used.
Some '11 sites are not activated yet for '12 or dead – EG the English link for school closures in TW.
Will update when active.
Will also ask Icon to move the links to her first post @ the top of the thread.

Typhoon preparation Checklist
vimeo.com/8411642

TSR – a highly recommendable link seen it’s ease of use and they also have an email warning service
tropicalstormrisk.com/

Taiwan Central Weather Bureau
Weather- Earthquakes – Typhoons – other advisories
(don’t be surprised their forecasts are utterly wrong sometimes)
cwb.gov.tw/eng/index.htm

Weather Undergound – Tropical overview / Severe weather
wunderground.com/tropical/

Monterey Marine Meteorology Division (US Navy)
nrlmry.navy.mil/TC.html
They pull the info from JTWC (a link which can’t be opened by many, related to browser/ security settings)
‪http://www.usno.navy.mil/JTWC/

PAGASA Philippines – as they might have a worse time again in Luzon this year vs. Taiwan.

Have a safe 2012 season.[/quote]

*to be confirmed

Never, ever say things like that.
Ever.

first its the sun then the phoon, icon the weathermen are lookin at ya, remember morakot?

next you are going to start pointing at the moon?

The third typhoon of the season is on its way and it will pass us by but the outer rings of rain will remain with us from Sunday at least until Tuesday, so prepare accordingly. It will affect the whole island.

Enjoy the rain. Careful out there by the sea.

Wasn’t aware typhoons start to be around so early. Are there any predictions for this typhoon seasons? Or it’s not possible to make any so early?

Agnes

I believe typhoon season runs from June to October, with July to September being the most likely period of time.

[quote=“mukashi”]Wasn’t aware typhoons start to be around so early. Are there any predictions for this typhoon seasons? Or it’s not possible to make any so early?

Agnes[/quote]

The dates seem to stretch out as I just found this which is rather interesting;
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Pacif … oon_season

[quote=“Steviebike”]The dates seem to stretch out as I just found this which is rather interesting;
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Pacif … oon_season[/quote]

Interesting. We get to know the names already of upcoming potential disaster.
1 prediction I’d make is that the Philippines will have more hits than Taiwan.

[quote=“ceevee369”][quote=“Steviebike”]The dates seem to stretch out as I just found this which is rather interesting;
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Pacif … oon_season[/quote]

Interesting. We get to know the names already of upcoming potential disaster.
1 prediction I’d make is that the Philippines will have more hits than Taiwan.[/quote]

Yea I learnt something new there, I didn’t realise the naming was predetermined. 24 Typhoons all ready and waiting…

I will watch your prediction and the Typhoon season unfold for sure.

I pulled some links together from last year’s Phoon site and its credited posters as some newbies will come up with WCIF info, sites…
Not all are listed, but these are the ones mostly used.
Some '11 sites are not activated yet for '12 or dead – EG the English link for school closures in TW.
Will update when active.
Will also ask Icon to move the links to her first post @ the top of the thread.

Typhoon preparation Checklist
http://vimeo.com/8411642

TSR – a highly recommendable link seen it’s ease of use and they also have an email warning service
tropicalstormrisk.com/

Taiwan Central Weather Bureau
Weather- Earthquakes – Typhoons – other advisories
(don’t be surprised their forecasts are utterly wrong sometimes)
cwb.gov.tw/eng/index.htm

Weather Undergound – Tropical overview / Severe weather
wunderground.com/tropical/

Monterey Marine Meteorology Division (US Navy)
nrlmry.navy.mil/TC.html
They pull the info from JTWC (a link which can’t be opened by many, related to browser/ security settings)
‪http://www.usno.navy.mil/JTWC/

PAGASA Philippines – as they might have a worse time again in Luzon this year vs. Taiwan.

Sorm2k:
storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=59

Have a safe 2012 season.

Another good resource is the Storm2K forum for active storms/invests:

storm2k.org/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=59

Lots of knowledgeable people there tracking each tropical storm throughout the season.

First closures of school & work reported for tomorrow for several south Taiwan cities.
Sorry - can’t find the link - thanks for posting / helping.

[quote=“ceevee369”]First closures of school & work reported for tomorrow for several south Taiwan cities.
Sorry - can’t find the link - thanks for posting / helping.[/quote]

It’s on Yahoo News already. Plus a warning that it will get worse the day after tomorrow. :astonished: Here: tw.news.yahoo.com/%E8%A5%BF%E5%8 … 00141.html

Look at that graph! :astonished:

[quote]VBS – 2012年6月10日 下午5:33
因連日大雨影響,高雄桃源、那瑪夏、茂林區以及屏東霧台鄉,明天停班停課。
雨勢造成地方災情,高雄的桃源區、那瑪夏區、茂林區,3個區域,宣布明天停班停課。
來義鄉、三地門鄉總共208人,為了安全起見,傍晚進行撤村,而屏東霧台鄉,明天停班停課。[/quote]

Because of teh rain,. mountain areas in Kaoshiung and Pintung -sorry, do not know the names of the districts- looks like Tiauyuan, Naimali, something lin, no work no school.

Evacuation of more than 200 people. Pintung Lutai district no class no work.
tw.news.yahoo.com/%E5%BF%AB%E8%A … Wdl;_ylv=3

It sounds like the areas that got blasted by Morakot are getting blasted again. The road out to Wutai (from Sandimen) might be closed again. I just drove half of that last weekend sightseeing. Taoyuan is on the southern cross. I think a mountain village near Laiyi is being evacuated. Here is a photo from last year when I visited it. I would estimate that half of the village was washed away and they just built the damaged houses into the new dike wall. It was kind of strange seeing normal village life a block away on higher ground.

Tjalja-avus Village, Laiyi, Taiwan by abacus07, on Flickr

As far as Kaohsiung City is concerned it has rained quite a bit in the last 3-4 days but nothing exceptional. this year I have a bird’s eye view of the Love River at the new Meishu Bridge. I’ll know if the Love River is flooding without leaving my apt.

Lots of movement here at the emergency center. So far, 2 dead in one landslide. Old farmers, retired. :frowning:

China tourists stuck 13 hours on the road, some TV reporters hurt by landslide, lots of people stuck in the mountains. Roads turned into rivers. and this is just starting.

Check the lists for school closures down South.

Tomorrow is going to be the highest point of the storm, and it will affect all Taiwan, North included. Take care.

Here’s the updated list for school/work days tomorrow: (tw.news.yahoo.com/%E5%81%9C%E7%8 … 35714.html)

No school/no work:
受到豪雨影響,部分地區道路中斷,明天停班停課地區,包括南投縣仁愛鄉,以及高雄市那瑪夏、桃源、茂林、甲仙、六龜等五個區,以及台中市和平區,明天都是停止上班、上課一天。
Nantou - Ren-ai township
Kaohsiung: Namaxia, Taoyuan, Maolin, Jiaxian, Liuguei (all on the Southern Cross, i think)
Taichung: Heping

These schools have the day off:
嘉義縣阿里山鄉十字國小、香林國小、山美國小、達邦國小、里佳分校;以及梅山鄉仁和國小,明天也繼續停課一天。
Chiayi County Alishan: Shizi Elementary, Xianglin Elementary, Shanmei Elementary, Dabang Elementary, Lijia …sub-school? (I have no idea what a ‘fen-xiao’ is)
Chiayi County Meishan: Renhe Elementary

From another thread:

CNA repiorting people should leave class/work NOW. :astonished: Wait to confirm.

EDIT:
Confirmed. We’ve been let off work, schools at 11 or 12 too.

Just got the call for citywide school/work closure for Kaohsiung. I needed the day off.

Is Linkou the only place in the North where it is rather dry all morning ?
We have a very light drizzle since 9 am while Wugu ,10 km fro here seems to have downpour and flooding.
Heard of floating coffins in Hschinchu as flooding in Xinyi district.