Typhoon 2012

[quote=“Icon”]Lots of movement here at the emergency center. So far, 2 dead in one landslide. Old farmers, retired. :frowning:

China tourists stuck 13 hours on the road, some TV reporters hurt by landslide, lots of people stuck in the mountains. Roads turned into rivers. and this is just starting.

Check the lists for school closures down South.

Tomorrow is going to be the highest point of the storm, and it will affect all Taiwan, North included. Take care.[/quote]

We knew this was coming - it’s been raining for days now. Why did people think it’s still ok to drive up in the mountains? And I don’t think anything can stop the tour buses for Chinese tourist. Wasn’t it just like a year ago when one was washed off the Suhua (?) Highway during a Typhoon. Crazy…And why do people keep re-building in landslide areas?? I don’t know if it’s cultural or if humans are just like this, but sometimes we just need to take a rest and delay the trip for a few days…(Or leave the house that was built on last year’s land slide sediments when the rescue team comes so you can live to re-build it a month later…Does the government give out aid to people whose structures are destroyed from land slides? If so, it should exclude any house that was built in a land slide zone in the last ten years…)

OK, I’m awake, what did I miss?

Where is this part of Wenshan/Mucha where they have such a disaster?

Sanxia: some cars flooded.

Pingtung: dramatic rescue of two students, rescuers almost ended up being pulled into a ditch, too.

South of Taichung, floods, bridges, awful. And it will keep on raining…

And the kicker: the fourth typhoon is coming this way…

EDIT:

A Japan Airlines 737 stuck in the tarmac of Taoyuan Airport… when the tarmac flooded. :ohreally: :loco: :noway:

No updates, anyone? How about tomorrow?

Taipei and New Taipei announced no closures tomorrow.

Bit of humor. The kuso out there is awesome.

United States… France… Rusia… England… Taiwan submarine naval force.

Some serious flooding all over the island.

Sure, but despite the thread title, these rains are Plum Rains, no?

It’s funny but there weren’t any major typhoons when I was living in Taiwan for the most of last year.

I guess Good Luck Angels do not always spread their blessings around.

The Taiwanese must have pissed off the Typhoon God real bad. :bluemad:

Never mind Sanxia, Nantou and Pindung. You should see the state of my floor. :fume:

Flying in from Kinmen tomorrow. This should be fun.

You’ll be fine.

See. You’re back already.

FIRST ALERT! Typhoon Guchol

We have a system developing about 5-6 days out from Taiwan called “Guchol”. Not a big one, but best keep an eye on it, as the predicted track has moved closer to Taiwan (more to the west) over the past 24 hours.
tropicalstormrisk.com/

I live in Hualien. Thus, I keep a close watch. Call me paranoid if you wish. Typhoon LongWang (2005) was my first experience, and it was NASTY!

Last year, I notified President Ma to NOT send home his people on Friday evening Aug 27th, just as Typhoon Namadol was making a surprising move towards plastering Taiwan with flood waters. You know, just so as he would not repeat the Morokot debacle. The steps were taken, disaster averted, and I got a personal “Thank you note” for that one.

Reference, AUG 2011: “In Taiwan, the Central Weather Bureau issued a sea warnings instructing all ships passing through the Bashi Channel to stay updated about the typhoon. The president of Taiwan ordered evacuations of thousands of people from vulnerable areas, saying that a slow moving typhoon could result in more damages and casualties than normal. Some 35,000 soldiers were ordered to be ready to help out as many people as possible when the typhoon strikes. The soldiers were in possession of portable power generators, water pumps and amphibious assault vehicles. The Taiwan Railway Administration halted services on the South-Link Line in fear that heavy rain could trigger landslides and cause rail-accidents. The Directorate-General of Highways closed the Suhua Highway saying that the area through which the highway was built is more prone to landslides during typhoons. After landfall, Nanmadol dumped very heavy rainfall over the nation. Some 528 millimetres (20.8 in) of rain was dumped in Hualien County; 517 millimetres (20.4 in) in Hengchun, Pingtung County; 449 millimetres (17.7 in) in Taitung County; 292 millimetres (11.5 in) in Pinglin, New Taipei; 275 millimetres (10.8 in) in Kaohsiung; and 265 millimetres (10.4 in) in Taiping Mountain, Yilan County. The Council of Agriculture soon issued a red-alert for six riverside areas advising people that are at a high risk of mudslides after heavy torrential rains dumped by the typhoon. Even long after Nanmadol left Taiwan, heavy rain continued to batter the nation. Several parts of the nation saw rains of more than on meter and 1.5 meters with Pingtung County was the hardest hit of all.”

[b]If Guchol comes close enough (or hits), I would expect that its going to be bringing enough moisture to hammer the already well-soaked landscape from this recent “Monsoon”.

Be advised.[/b]

EDIT: Forgot to add. It was a whole lotta fun flying home to Hualian from AIDC in Taichung on Sunday the 29th in the midst of Typhoon Namadol’s northern arms. Only took us two completely-blind, white-knuckle, failed attempts to land before we started running low on gas out over the Pacific while surrounded by thunderheads. Finally, we safely diverted to Taipei. A brave, prudent, and skillful pilot on that flight! (Thank you, TransAsia Airlines!) Note: After I had boarded in Taichung and took my seat, the flight attendant look at me as if I was crazy when I asked, “Are the tanks FULL of gas?” She had no answer at that time, but I got first class service once we landed in Taipei to “wait things out”. :laughing:

So… just keep an eye on Guchol for now.

Thanks.
TT

And on that note (by the way ATR72 or A321 on that TransAsia flight?) most airports should take preemptive action and close down rather then chance it. Even if winds are not strong enough to mandate airport closure yet, they should be. Because the rush to get in or get out caused a lot of air crashes. NOte the SQ 747 crash on takeoff at CKS just before a typhoon arrived. And the CI 747 crash in KaiTak , again during a tropical storm and ditto the Ci Md11 crash at ChepLapKok on landing during another storm.

Close those dang airports !!! Prevent the possibility of a crash !

@tommy525 - It was an ATR72. On first attempt, as we popped out of the dense clouds at about 300feet, I turned to the Taiwanese guy behind me and said, “Not gonna make it. Too high. Too fast.” Sure enough, we got to SEE and WAVE AT the terminal which we flew by at 50 feet doing about 120knots, as the pilot tucked the wheels up, slammed the throttles forward, and went for a “go round”. :wink: On second attempt we never even SAW the ground! So much water was streaming off the wings that it was like we were trying to fly through a lake! :laughing:

Note: We were already enroute from Taichung when a sudden squall line hit Hualien like a wall of water. There really wasn’t really anywhere else to go at the time, as we were surrounded after having missed the window of opportunity by about 15 minutes. After rerouting to Taipei, sitting around for an hour, and getting a change of planes, we then headed out again and landed in Hualien about 2 1/2 hours late, and in “clear” weather.

Keep an eye on Guchol. It, too, should fly by pretty fast, but could cause some problems.

Yep, lots of people stuck yesterday at Taoyuan Airport, lots of luggage not delivered -they unloaded the luggage due to load problems, they said, flying through bad weather :loco: . Someone was complaining because his house keys were in his luggage and hence he had no way of getting home. :doh:

And the tarmac flooded. :noway:

But really, if anyone has any plans of flying out this weekend, with what is coming, I’d say you’d rather swim…

To teh rest of us, start packing provisions, check the gas and food and drinks levels, rent/acquire additional entertainment. It’s going to be a long, dark, rainy weekend.

[quote=“TaiwanTeacher”]FIRST ALERT! Typhoon Guchol
Last year, I notified President Ma to NOT send home his people on Friday evening Aug 27th, just as Typhoon Namadol was making a surprising move towards plastering Taiwan with flood waters. You know, just so as he would not repeat the Morokot debacle. The steps were taken, disaster averted, and I got a personal “Thank you note” for that one.
[/quote]

Thanks for the heads up on the approaching system. By the way, how do you as a Hualien-based teacher happen to have the ear of President Ma?

“Thanks for the heads up on the approaching system. By the way, how do you as a Hualien-based teacher happen to have the ear of President Ma?”
You’re welcome. I try to be helpful.

Not sure why Ma’s office responds to me.
Perhaps it has something to do with my being the only one who snapped to attention and saluted him and some generals :notworthy: as he walked by my area when I was working on the UH-1Y/Z program at AIDC in Taichung. At least he waved back. :ponder:
The locals sure cracked up afterwards… :laughing: :discodance:

Or, it could have been that “potential bomb in a briefcase” I carried into the Hualien airbase when whisked through the gate at night so as to stand alone nearby and watch him step off his plane. :sunglasses:
Was only paperwork inside it, but security has since tightened up quite a bit. I love those ROCAF guys!

The rain won’t be going away anytime soon but it’s too early to say if Guchol will hit Taiwan. Current projections show that (edit - there’s a chance that it) slides by and goes after Okinawa/Japan. It also won’t get here until sun/mon if it does turn this way.

But it will remain wet unfortunately. ick.

Maybe Guchol is trying to drive PLAN ships away from the Senkakus???
japandailypress.com/chinese-ship … nds-041711

Damage toll:

7 dead, 4 hurt, 2 missing.

Buy your veggies now, big losses, especially cabbage.