Typhoon 2014

Tracking south now. Could be day off for Kaohsiung, Pingdong, Taidong etc but maybe not Taipei / Xinbei.

EDIT - Just discovered that the pic is auto-updating and it’s now shifted back north.

Keep an eye on it here:
wunderground.com/hurricane/w … torm-Matmo

The news stated the weather bureau is not sure that the typhoon will hit here, because they said the high pressure on the pacific could strengthen in the next few days and push the storm southward, missing Taiwan.

So maybe no day off after all :frowning:

[quote=“dan2006”]The news stated the weather bureau is not sure that the typhoon will hit here, because they said the high pressure on the pacific could strengthen in the next few days and push the storm southward, missing Taiwan.

So maybe no day off after all :frowning:[/quote]

It never ceases to amaze me that people wish for death and destruction just so they can selfishly get a day off work.

I think with the new ‘make a decision by 10pm the day before’ there will be a day off in southern Taiwan if it is anywhere close. I think this was the case for a storm last year. I think it’s a good policy because things can get scary quick although it results in a few sunny days off.

People give Taiwan a lot of shit for a lot of things but it’s sad that a Philippines disaster official recently said ‘only 11 people died’ after the last typhoon went through last week.

Is it just me or does it seem like Philippines is a typhoon magnet? Seems like 90% of all typhoons formed heads straight to the Philippines.

It’s not you, it’s a combination of physics and geography :wink:

(Source: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon )

25 years of typhoon tracks:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Paci … 0-2005.jpg

[quote=“Taipan1975”][quote=“dan2006”]The news stated the weather bureau is not sure that the typhoon will hit here, because they said the high pressure on the pacific could strengthen in the next few days and push the storm southward, missing Taiwan.

It never ceases to amaze me that people wish for death and destruction just so they can selfishly get a day off work.[/quote]

As if what I wish for could magically make something true

Kindly kiss my posterior

[quote=“dan2006”][quote=“Taipan1975”][quote=“dan2006”]The news stated the weather bureau is not sure that the typhoon will hit here, because they said the high pressure on the pacific could strengthen in the next few days and push the storm southward, missing Taiwan.

It never ceases to amaze me that people wish for death and destruction just so they can selfishly get a day off work.[/quote]

As if what I wish for could magically make something true

Kindly kiss my posterior[/quote]

Who said anything about you having magical powers and being able to make your despicable wishes come true?

That doesn’t make your moral compass any less screwed though.

It’s terribly sad that people like you exist.

Look, I know that last post was harsh, but your ignorance on this matter is astounding. I’ve seen how typhoons can devastate people here. My wife has family that lost their home in Typhoon Morakot.

These aren’t just fun, little distractions that are nice to have because you get a day off work. And even if that’s how you see them have some damn respect for others who don’t and have to live with the carnage they create.

Can I wish for a Typhoon bad enough for bringing some extra holidays but not bad enough for devastating Taiwan and its people? Just asking.

[quote=“Taipan1975”]Look, I know that last post was harsh, but your ignorance on this matter is astounding. I’ve seen how typhoons can devastate people here. My wife has family that lost their home in Typhoon Morakot.

These aren’t just fun, little distractions that are nice to have because you get a day off work. And even if that’s how you see them have some damn respect for others who don’t and have to live with the carnage they create.[/quote]

The only reason typhoons continue to devestate people here still is because even though they are warned by the government not to live in a house at the bottom of a mountain and are in some cases given cash to move to cities and safer places, many refuse and then death and destruction keep repeating themselves and people keep wondering why.

In the cities a typhoon is a fun little distraction that is nice to have because you get a day off.
Not so much for people who insist to live in dangerous mountain areas.

Far from the only reason. Taiwan is surrounded by water. The farming done here for the most popular crop uses a lot of water. Too much water plus a lot of wind in a short time can end livelihoods.

Well, if the Typhoon has to pass over Taiwan, I just want it to hit Taipei. And looking at the predictions it looks like that’s what is going to happen :smiley:

I feel that Taiwan has fewer public holidays in order to allow for some typhoon days each year.

[quote]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Paci … 0-2005.jpg[/quote]

I thought that would be an interesting graphic to check out. Boy was I wrong.

Indeed, I heard that they take these things in account when planning how many national holidays a year has.

[quote=“rocky raccoon”][quote]
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Paci … 0-2005.jpg[/quote]

I thought that would be an interesting graphic to check out. Boy was I wrong.[/quote]
Yeah, you can’t even see Taiwan…

That monster looks Northbound. Hualien/Yilan entry, as usual.

[quote=“dan2006”][quote=“Taipan1975”]Look, I know that last post was harsh, but your ignorance on this matter is astounding. I’ve seen how typhoons can devastate people here. My wife has family that lost their home in Typhoon Morakot.

These aren’t just fun, little distractions that are nice to have because you get a day off work. And even if that’s how you see them have some damn respect for others who don’t and have to live with the carnage they create.[/quote]

The only reason typhoons continue to devestate people here still is because even though they are warned by the government not to live in a house at the bottom of a mountain and are in some cases given cash to move to cities and safer places, many refuse and then death and destruction keep repeating themselves and people keep wondering why.

In the cities a typhoon is a fun little distraction that is nice to have because you get a day off.
Not so much for people who insist to live in dangerous mountain areas.[/quote]
This is a statement which I absolutely cannot agree.
I am not living in the mountains, and the last typhoon brought a huge damage to my area.
It is was not a little “fun distraction” finding roof parts in my garden or see the damage in the city caused by the typhoon.

Tom