Typhoon Mindulle

Face it, we are all going to die… :smiling_imp:

I’m in Hualien and it’s been pretty windy all morning/afternoon. It just started pouring too. Tell my wife and kids that I love them…

just hope the cable stays on for the euro 2004 semis…let’s get our priorities right here

Ditto!

Didn’t Typhoon Wayne come up the west coast in 1986? I remember that one as the biggest I’d ever experienced.
Wayne

Starting to rain in Kaohsiung…

It’s windy as hell here already…But man, what a view!

Trying to find out when the typhoon is supposed begin effecting Taipei. There is wind and rain already, and the clouds have begun to do that circular movement thing they do leading up to a typhoon.

I’ve been here since 2000, but was in Tainan for the biggies that have hit since then, and in fours years and possibly longer, Tainan seems immune to any ill-effects from a typhoon. Ok, there was the flooding in Tainan county awhile back but compared to the situations in Taipei, the East Coast and Kaoshiung - man, head for Tainan if you want to avoid typhoons!

Some of you write that this typhoon coud potentially be different from the usual heavy rain, grey, windy things that have blown through Taipei in the last year…

I live on a rooftop so it should be quite the, erh, thrill - also I want to do something to protect my trees & plants (many would not fit inside my apartment) and am wondering when the really strong winds are due, if anyone knows.

For other rooftop dwellers - friends here tell me to get the plants and stuff into any area that is covered and place them together - tallest in the middle. Hope that saves a few more gardens.

Not always true. The flooding from the big one down south a few years ago just swept right through some peoples house, dragging them out and drowning them. And the one in Taipei the same year killed a whole lot of oldies in a basement. They weren’t able to get out before the whole basement had flooded.

That said, I know I’m a callous bastard and always hope for a typhoon day off. But I have the bloody afternoons off on Thursday and Friday anyway this week :fume:

Who said it’s raining in Taipei already. It’s been fantastic weather all afternoon in my part of Taipei.

Anyway, 9 times out of 10 these things don’t hit, or add up to much.

Brian

This is making me homesick. I miss living in Florida when the hurricanes would come through. Huge Hurricane parties on the beach and when it got bad move indoors since we would get off a couple of days. About the only thing to do with no power, drink, drink and more drink.

If this things seems like it is going to hit we should start a Taipei typhoon party.

can we get gus to set up forumosa so it runs on batteries then? i’m a bit worried my dpa (daily posting average) could take a hit if the power goes out…

I am in Taipei and noob what should I do first typhoon experience should I go stay with someone i know after tomorrow in case things get really bad I supposed I could crash at one of the girls apt i know

gsm
i thought you didn’t know any girls. Did the postit sms trick work really fast or what?

I only know one girl thats it

No no no, now is the time to go hunting for the typhoon fish.

HG

if i didn’t have a girlfriend I be very tempted with the ‘it’s a typhoon out there, fancy looking after me’ line!

CNN just said that it will “indirectly” affect Taiwan, and will probably make landfall on the mainland. They also said that it’s crossing over the Phillipines has weakened it. I’m hoping they’re right, cause I dont want it to affect my boyfriend’s college entrance exams this weekend … :s

Or for that matter, my flight home tomorrow night that was a pain in the ass to get tickets for in the first place (not the going-home part since I haven’t seen my family in nearly 1.5 years, just trying to find a seat to get there). :frowning:

Um…if you are flying China Air (only under the circumstance that no other airline had tickets to the US for the three days before and the three days after my target date), how does one go about finding that out? I do not want to fly in another Nari, especially with China Airlines.

:astonished:

From the U.S. Navy…

WDPN31 PGTW 291500
MSGID/GENADMIN/NAVPACMETOCCEN PEARL HARBOR HI/JTWC//
SUBJ/PROGNOSTIC REASONING FOR TYPHOON 10W (MINDULLE)
/WARNING NR 26//
RMKS/

1. FOR METEOROLOGISTS.
  2. PROGNOSTIC REASONING FOR 291200Z4 JUN TO 041200Z7 JUL 2004.
    A. TYPHOON (TY) 10W (MINDULLE) LOCATED APPROXIMATELY 330 NM
    SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF TAIPEI, TAIWAN HAS TRACKED WESTWARD AT 06
    KNOTS OVER THE PAST 06 HOURS. THE WARNING POSITION IS BASED
    ON 291130Z6 ENHANCED INFRARED SATELLITE IMAGERY. THE WARNING
    INTENSITY IS BASED ON SATELLITE CURRENT INTENSITY ESTIMATES
    OF 115 AND 127 KNOTS.
    B. TY 10W IS CURRENTLY IN A WEAK STEERING ENVIRONMENT BETWEEN
    A BUILDING HIGH OVER CHINA AND A RETREATING HIGH EAST OF OKINAWA.
    THIS WEAK STEERING ENVIRONMENT IS EXPECTED TO KEEP TY 10W MOVING
    SLOWLY WESTWARD FOR THE NEXT 24 HOURS. THE NUMERICAL MODELS CONTINUE
    TO INDICATE THAT THE PERIPHERAL RIDGE TO THE SOUTHEAST OF TY 10W WILL
    BUILD IN WITH ENOUGH STRENGTH TO OVERCOME THE RIDGING EXTENDING EAST
    OUT OF CENTRAL ASIA. THIS PERIPHERAL RIDGE WILL STEER TY 10W MORE
    POLEWARD BY TAU 36. THE AVAILABLE DYNAMIC AIDS, CONSISTING OF NOGAPS,
    GFDN, JTYM, NCEP GFS, TCLAPS, AFWA MM5 AND WBAR ARE IN FAIR AGREEMENT
    WITH THE FORECAST TRACK. AN ALTERNATE SCENARIO STILL EXISTS IN THE
    UKMET, COAMPS AND JGSM MODELS WHICH MAINTAIN A STRONGER RIDGE TO THE
    NORTHEAST OF THE SYSTEM AND TRACKS TY 10W WEST-NORTHWESTWARD TOWARDS
    MAINLAND CHINA. THIS FORECAST TRACK IS BASED ON A CONSENSUS OF ALL
    AVAILABLE DYNAMIC AIDS.
    C. TY 10W WILL SLOWLY DECREASE IN INTENSITY OVER THE NEXT 24 HOURS
    DUE TO LAND INTERACTION FROM LUZON. LOW LEVEL INFLOW IS BEING RESTRICTED
    FROM THIS SCENERIO. AFTER TAU 24, TY 10W WILL BRIEFLY INCREASE IN
    INTENSITY AS IT MOVES AWAY FROM LAND. AFTER TAU 48, TY 10W WILL AGAIN
    BEGIN TO DECREASE IN INTENSITY AS IT ENCOUNTERS AN UNFAVORABLE ENVIRONMENT.
    THIS ENVIRONMENT WILL CONSIST OF DECREASED OUTFLOW ALOFT, A SLIGHT
    INCREASE IN VERTICAL SHEAR AND DRY AIR ENTRAINMENT.
    D. CURRENT WIND RADII AND FORECAST WIND RADII ARE BASED ON CLIMATOLOGY
    OR AN AVERAGE SIZE SYSTEM.
    E. THE EXTENDED FORECAST CALLS FOR TY 10W TO TRACK POLEWARD ALONG
    THE WESTERN PERIPHERY OF THE BUILDING STEERING RIDGE TO THE EAST. THIS
    SCENARIO WILL SEE TY 10W TRACK WEST OF TAIWAN AND CONTINUE TO WEAKEN.