Typhoon Mindulle

Um…if you are flying China Air (only under the circumstance that no other airline had tickets to the US for the three days before and the three days after my target date), how does one go about finding that out? I do not want to fly in another Nari, especially with China Airlines.[/quote]

Dunno, but I do know that planes that fly internationally are held to significantly higher (international) safety standards than domestic ones. So you’ve got a fighting chance :slight_smile:

Have a good trip - we’ll miss you!!!
:America:

Um…if you are flying China Air (only under the circumstance that no other airline had tickets to the US for the three days before and the three days after my target date), how does one go about finding that out? I do not want to fly in another Nari, especially with China Airlines.[/quote]

Dunno, but I do know that planes that fly internationally are held to significantly higher (international) safety standards than domestic ones. So you’ve got a fighting chance :slight_smile:

Have a good trip - we’ll miss you!!!
:America:[/quote]

Why what happened the last time with China Airlines and Nari?
The airplane crash a couple of years ago i Taoyuan was due to pilot error and not a typhoon

China Airlines rolled a pane in Hk during a typhoon but the pilot was not Taiwanese

Singapore Airlines crashed into excavation equipment going down the wrong runway during a typhoon
I guess better not fly with Singapore Airlines then during a typhoon right?

I have no idea if China Airlines services their planes in Taiwan

Truth is a plane can take a lot of abuse and a typhoon. When they are been tested during the design and test stage… they fly them beyond anything that you could possibly encouter in the air ( going to 4 or 5 Gs, driving them on their ass down the runway etc etc)

There is no recorded occurances of a typhoon or hurricane taking down a plane ( except HK but perhaps that was pilot error, other plans landed ok that night)

If the typhoon is too severe the flights will be grounded and the airport closed

yes…good question. how would you find out? you could try directly asking china airlines or the check in desk…basically for piece of mind the info you want is that the captain is not chinese (sounds racist i know but it’s the only way you can be sure). i know i always breathe a sigh of relief when i hear the captain address us in a rich home counties accent. (course he could be ex british airways sacked for having a fondness for the hard stuff for all i know )

Taiwanese pilots have a bad record cause of lacking of training and because they come from the military… a Jumbo does not react or perform like a fighter jet, and there are no ejection seats for the passengers

On the otherhand flyiong from London to Cork on Aer Lingus… the pilot literally flung the airplane on the runway… don’t know how good this is for the landing gear

hey bear, my daughter loves your dancing avatar.

To gsm and others: Typhoons are not Hollywood computer-generated extinction machines. If you are living in a shack on the side of a mountain, yes, watch out. But if you are living in an apartment like you are, this is what happens: and/or super hard wind and rain. Stuff can get loose and fly around really fast; therefore, don’t go outside to watch. Power could go out in some areas, but frankly, that hasn’t happened in my area for years and years.
Since if it really starts to blow you can’t really pop over to the 7-Eleven so you need to make sure you have food and water for a day or two.
That’s all. It’s no biggie at all.

hey bear, my daughter loves your dancing avatar.[/quote]

cheers, it’s true chicks do tend to dig the bear’s funky dance floor moves :wink:

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]To gsm and others: Typhoons are not Hollywood computer-generated extinction machines. If you are living in a shack on the side of a mountain, yes, watch out. But if you are living in an apartment like you are, this is what happens: and/or super hard wind and rain. Stuff can get loose and fly around really fast; therefore, don’t go outside to watch. Power could go out in some areas, but frankly, that hasn’t happened in my area for years and years.
Since if it really starts to blow you can’t really pop over to the 7-Eleven so you need to make sure you have food and water for a day or two.
That’s all. It’s no biggie at all.[/quote]

and of course Beer…
ok course its better to invite some friends over so you can ride it out with some beers and cards if necessary

My brother-in-law is long-time CAL cabin crew. Flight engineer for many years and has now just completed a 2-year pilot training program in Brisbane for the new super-jumbos, in which he came second in a class of more than 200 people. He still has simulation training for several months before he’ll qualify.
I have mentioned this percieved “top gun” attitude to him before and he just laughed and pointed out that like anywhere else, would-be pilots like that are weeded out very early on in the training process – which is not conducted by Taiwanese but by dedicated overseas training centers such as the one in Brisbane. Are you saying that these centers give Taiwanese pilots an easier break? Or that CAL is happy to see its expensive jets thrashed and beat by amped-up cock jockeys?
It is many years since Taiwan has had to rely solely on ex-airforce types for its civilian fleets.
The idea that CAL is forced to recruit cowboy ex-jetfighter pilots and allow them to trash expensive jets because no-one else is available to fly them is simply ludicrous.

The training centres here in Brisbane are world-class / best practice facilities. Pilots from a variety of airlines and nationality train here.

I agree with Sandman, stating Taiwanese pilots are hopeless is a big call. I do recall hearing that China Airlines USED to recruit ex-air force pilots but the last 5 times I have flown CAL, I have had Australian pilots. If I recall correctly Ogilvy Taiwan was responsible for the last large CAL marketing/advertising campaign. CAL has worked hard to recruit new pilots and regain credibility.

But alas, this board does love to exaggerate and oversimplify things… :s

Sandman and AWOL,

You both raise valid points. CAL has made a concerted effort to improve and standardize their pilot training programs by outsourcing to the training center in Brisbane. I’ve met a few of the pilots that have gone through the program and it’s no cake-walk; quite a few are sent packing for not meeting the program’s standard. The company has also tried to improve on this by hiring numerous veteran commercial pilots from overseas. They picked up quite a few when SAS went under and there is, as AWOL mentioned, a big Australian/Kiwi contingent. They are taking constructive steps to do away with the old stereotypes. Unfortunately, it’s a gargantuan task that will challenge them far into the future.

CK

Well in that case they should be safer

CAL’s crashes in Taoyuan and Japan and HK where they rolled the plane, were caused by pilot error and not mechanical failure.

Here is a webiste on plane crashes. You see most of them are caused by pilot error in varying conditions
planecrashinfo.com/cause.htm

Who trains the aircraft technicians who examine CAL’s planes?
Are the inspections done in Taiwan or some place else?

Just to get back on topic, here’s a link to the Central Weather Bureau’s site tracking the typhoon:

cwb.gov.tw/index-typhoon.htm

Enjoy,
CK

I keep watching all the websites with the trackings and the pictures. But when and how will I know if I’m supposed to give my colleagues off tomorrow (or friday?) or not???

Iris, you dont decide, the local government does, in the case of Taipei City then Ma Ying Jiu. It will be announced on the TV, normally as text scripts rolling down the side of the screen.

[quote=“Traveller”]
Iris, you dont decide, the local government does, in the case of Taipei City then Ma Ying Jiu. It will be announced on the TV, normally as text scripts rolling down the side of the screen.[/quote]

I know I don’t decide myself :unamused: Unfortunately, I don’t have tv… Well, I guess as long as THEY know they don’t have to come…

Is there any particular terminology in use here? Like in HK they have typhoon signal 3 (we’ll let you know), 8 (stay home), and 10 (we really, really mean it) :slight_smile:

[quote=“AWOL”]The training centres here in Brisbane are world-class / best practice facilities. Pilots from a variety of airlines and nationality train here.

I agree with Sandman, stating Taiwanese pilots are hopeless is a big call. I do recall hearing that China Airlines USED to recruit ex-air force pilots but the last 5 times I have flown CAL, I have had Australian pilots. If I recall correctly Ogilvy Taiwan was responsible for the last large CAL marketing/advertising campaign. CAL has worked hard to recruit new pilots and regain credibility.

But alas, this board does love to exaggerate and oversimplify things… :s[/quote]

yeth but as you state your last five flights were piloted by aussies; therein lies your peace of mind. sandman may well be right but i for one would still be nervous flying CAL in a typhoon…i’m not denying it’s irrational consumer prejudice but i saw that wreakage from the taoyuan/typhoon/ex-airforce cowboy co-pilot crash…“once bitten twice shy” :wink:

[quote=“the bear”]
yeth but as you state your last five flights were piloted by aussies; therein lies your peace of mind. sandman may well be right but i for one would still be nervous flying CAL in a typhoon…I’m not denying it’s irrational consumer prejudice but I saw that wreakage from the Taoyuan/typhoon/ex-airforce cowboy co-pilot crash…“once bitten twice shy” :wink:[/quote]

No typhoon… pilot error the conclusion

taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 1/04/18211

Actually, you do decide yourself. Taipei City’s decision applies to only civil servants and schools. Most larger companies will follow Taipei City’s decision, but many smaller companies will not. Naturally, you will make yourself extremely unpopular with your employees if you don’t give them the day off, but it is up to you.

[quote=“iris”][quote=“Traveller”]
Iris, you dont decide, the local government does, in the case of Taipei City then Ma Ying Jiu. It will be announced on the TV, normally as text scripts rolling down the side of the screen.[/quote]

I know I don’t decide myself :unamused: Unfortunately, I don’t have tv… Well, I guess as long as THEY know they don’t have to come…[/quote]