Typhoon Mindulle

And who is responsible if a wall or a bus is blown on top of them on the way to work?

[quote=“Feiren”]Actually, you do decide yourself. Taipei City’s decision applies to only civil servants and schools. Most larger companies will follow Taipei City’s decision, but many smaller companies will not. Naturally, you will make yourself extremely unpopular with your employees if you don’t give them the day off, but it is up to you.

[quote=“iris”][quote=“Traveller”]
Iris, you dont decide, the local government does, in the case of Taipei City then Ma Ying Jiu. It will be announced on the TV, normally as text scripts rolling down the side of the screen.[/quote]

I know I don’t decide myself :unamused: Unfortunately, I don’t have tv… Well, I guess as long as THEY know they don’t have to come…[/quote][/quote]

“many smaller companies will not” ?? i beg to differ…once those words bushangban bushangke hit the telly screen it’s game over as far as i’m concerned…you’d not just be unpopular you’d be legally liable for any injury incurred if you forced your employees to work during a typhoon. of course if it’s one of them typhoons holidays where the sun comes out and nothing happens feiren is quite right…small company bosses may well start calling in employee’s…

Are you quite sure about this? I don’t get time off during typhoons and I’m pretty sure the company wouldn’t be held legally responsible if something were to happen to me on my way to or from the office.
Nor would I expect it, as I feel I’m already adequately taken care of by my company – I get a free biandang for working during a typhoon, for heaven’s sake!

Wasn’t there a decision last time, that if you didn’t come to work during a typhoon you wouldn’t get paid, but they couldn’t penalise you? Or something?

Brian

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]Wasn’t there a decision last time, that if you didn’t come to work during a typhoon you wouldn’t get paid, but they couldn’t penalise you? Or something?

Brian[/quote]

True but most people are worried about their boss’ perception of them hence they stay late at work to appear like the good loyal obedient worker
Would most Taiwanese if given the choice to stay at home, stay at home?
Would most Taiwanese if given the order to drink the sweat from the boss’ socks do it ? Maybe

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]Wasn’t there a decision last time, that if you didn’t come to work during a typhoon you wouldn’t get paid, but they couldn’t penalise you? Or something?

Brian[/quote]
Could be but I wouldn’t know. The lure of those free biandangs is just too strong, so I’ve never stayed home in a typhoon.
I also get to feel that I’m bravely willing to sacrifice my very life for the sake of my craft by venturing out into the storm.
OK, maybe not the last part, but the biandang part is straight up.

The U.S. Navy latest track prediction…

metoc.npmoc.navy.mil/jtwc/warnings/wp1004sa.gif

Hugging the west coast again. They’ve changed their track at least ten times now…The CWB shows it heading off to China so who knows.

I took my daughter out behind our complex to check out the views and was rewarded with a rainbow over the Taipei 101…Considering it’s 50km plus from my house, that be some fine clean air…Nice!

This typhoon is a very tricky one. Moving at only 8 KM/hr which is very very slow which makes it very difficult to predict its course. The latest news at 9PM has it creeping up the west coast or hitting Taiwan dead on.
Beware folks - a typhoon moving this slow will be much more dangerous than usual because of the amount of rainfall it will drop on the Island and the destructive winds which will be on Taiwan for twice the normal time.

[quote=“the bear”][quote=“Feiren”]
“many smaller companies will not” ?? i beg to differ…once those words bushangban bushangke hit the telly screen it’s game over as far as I’m concerned…you’d not just be unpopular you’d be legally liable for any injury incurred if you forced your employees to work during a typhoon. of course if it’s one of them typhoons holidays where the sun comes out and nothing happens feiren is quite right…small company bosses may well start calling in employee’s…[/quote][/quote]

I don’t think so. I think you are importing north american ideas about liability. In practice most businesses in Taipei do get the day off. I don’t think this is true for blue collar jobs outside of Taipei.

According to the CPA website, tomorrow is a normal working and school day in most areas of Taiwan. I have no idea if they will update or change that later…

Iris

Apparently the official announcement one way or the other is due 10:30pm.

EDIT: And apparently it’s still all go tomorrow for most of the island.

Its really a good timing to check out the views. What a beautiful full moon and clear sky!!

Just heard the typhoon is heading straight to Taiwan. Hopefully there isn’t too much damage.

TV News is saying on the 12 o’clock news that schools and businesses in Southern Taiwan do not need to go to school or work.

I say bring it on. After my first taste of typhoon in Shenzhen last summer, I want more. One of those adrenaline thrill things I guess. :loco:

the lightest of drizzle and VERY cloudy skies.
wondering if I should make a last minute 7-11 run…
D

The damn thing is all over the place…

First the CWB now has it tracking up the EAST coast…

The U.S. Navy is still sticking to it’s west coast track but now has it on land…Yikes!

Anyway, it won’t be effecting us for another full day at least, so don’t expect any closures or 'Typhoon parties until after 10:30pm tomorrow night…

Friday will be the day.

From the CPA website:
Everywhere in Taiwan, business as usual, except the following Southern locations - Hengchun-zhen, Checheng-xiang, Manzhou-xiang, Fangshan-xiang, Shizi-xiang, Mudan-xiang: Businesses to open as usual, no classes for high-school and below.

Most current tracking from tropicalstormrisk.com

Did I say drizzle. Bah-humbug. I just did my water 7-11 run, and it is just damn humid and misty. no rain yet.

I bet this one will blow over just like the last almost one. Which is too bad, this would be the one exciting thing to happen while I am here. sigh. Sad, isnt it? lol
D

It suddenly made a turn of almost 90 degrees at about midnight last night, when it was in the Babuyan Islands of the Philippines (the islands that are between the Philippines and Taiwan, but much closer to the Philippines than Taiwan).

So now it’s heading straight for Hualian!

If it continues in the same direction, then after Hualian, it will hit Ilan and then Taipei. But the “tropical storm risk” website predicts that by the time it hits Taipei, it will have become much weaker and will only be a “tropical storm” instead of a “typhoon”.