Typhoons 2017

i was expecting a massage place where you cannot see who gives you the massage, so it could be a young girl, an old man, a cat or anything.

not sure if your explanation makes me feel relieved or disappointed, but i learned something nonetheless.

Nesat officially upgraded to typhoon status

Warning on huge waves expected. Condolences for those traveling between Green Island and Taitung.

Something coming from the other side, classic pincer movement.

1 Like

Isn’t that why they call it Green Island? :nauseated_face:

1 Like

If I, hypothetically, were to open a place like this in Taipei in the near future, it’s because I already had the idea before I saw this message and owe you nothing in terms of compensation.

sorry, the idea has already been registered, trademarked and copyrighted.

if anyone will ever open such place in the world, there would be a rain of shekels all over me.

1 Like

Some basic info about Nesat:

1. Predicted to make landfall around Cheng Gong in mid-north Taidong county (though typhoons often behave erratically once the eye approaches land)

2. Peak intensity will start around 4pm on Saturday (strong wind and rain from just after noon - maybe before then)

3. JTWC estimates the peak gusts to be 100kts (180kph) and sustained wind of 80kts

4. The highest impact zone is in the north-west quadrant of a typhoon. On current forecasts that is Dulan in Taidong to Hualien city (though Ilan will somehow manage to get in on the act)

5. Landslides are likely in mountainous areas between Taidong and Hualien. If you Iive in that situation, you should closely watch rainfall totals and have an evacuation plan

6. If you’re a visitor, welcome! Bunker down in accommodation in a main town (not in the mountains), that’s made of concrete , not on the first floor, and not directly exposed to the north east wind. If there’s a window exposed to the north east it could pop.

7. Users will post updates on this thread

2 Likes

Oh … the storm has sped up, hasn’t it? OK, selfishly making this all about me: I’m flying out of Taoyuan at 11:55pm Saturday night, heading towards North America. I guess based on current projections that would mean a slightly bumpy take-off, but probably no cancellation and still flying. Does that sound about right?

It has. But for that chap that was enquiring about a bike race in Taidong this weekend and I said it would be ‘fine’ - good news - it’s still on!

In fact we’re launching a new tourist initiative called:

Taidong Typhoon of Challenge!

The course is from Dulan to Hualien and back and it’s a triathlon - anyone who survives is the winner

If there’s no winner, the prize-money jackpots to the next race

3 Likes

Guys watch this video. The illustrations are hilarious.

Track appears to be edging north putting Hualien city more in the firing line as well as north Hualien county

It is getting fatter, catching more rain.

Few gusta here in Xindian. Rained a bit around 9pm. Now all quiet and eerie.

Cathay Pacific / Cathay Dragon (the former Dragon Air) have cancelled some flights into and out of Kaohsiung on July 29. Details from cathaypacific.com:

Typhoon Nesat – impact on flights to/from Taipei and Kaohsiung
Latest update: 28 Jul 2017 23:00 HKT (GMT+8)

We are closely monitoring Typhoon Nesat and its impact on our flight operations. Please note the following flights to/from Kaohsiung will be cancelled on 29 Jul 2017:

KA436/437
KA454/455
KA456/457
KA458

Special ticketing guidelines are issued for flights involving Kaohsiung (KHH) and Taipei (TPE), waiving rebooking charges. Please refer to details: Special ticketing guidelines for Typhoon Nesat.

Guy

Update

Continuing to drift slightly north - landfall just south of Hualien city

Max winds: 100kts (180kph)

Initial peak impact zone: Cheng Gong (mid-north Taidong) to Yilan. Hualien city is right in the firing line (Taidong city should be ok)

Landslides likely from north Taidong to Yilan

Getting some serious gusts in Dulan area already so it is packing some punch!

1 Like

Cute

Very usefull tip :slight_smile:

Windy.com has 12W hitting around Kaoshioung on Sunday. Unsure if it will reach typhoon strength or just stay a tropical depression.

Just walked out to get coffee 10 mins ago. Incredibly hot and mostly sunny with blue skies peeking out of white clouds. Just heard rain on the rooftop outside my window. Looked out and it’s pouring with black clouds.

Yeah, this is a typhoon.