Typhoons 2017

Light rain in Hsinchuang. It seems like I can not ride today.

Donā€™t give up hope yet. In the early stages of typhoons like this, itā€™s hit and miss. 30 minutes and everything could change and you can ride. Just donā€™t go far and have a backup plan.

1 Like

Relax, Dorothy. Youā€™ve always got the shoes to fall back on.

1 Like

Track is continuing to edge north - itā€™s shifted almost 100k north since last night and could still go higher

The longer it stays offshore the more chance it has to increase strength and it does seem to be doing that

Itā€™s also absorbing the TD to the south west and that will add more rain

Just completed all the preparations thanks to the help of a couple of great young Taiwanese fellahs here for work exchange - ultimately, I think itā€™s gonna be no biggie in Taidong which is almost annoying after youā€™ve done all your prep work - though I will be watching for any sudden turn into the coast

On current projections, Hualien and Ilan and maybe even Keelung residents will be hardest hit initially - then it could become a south west coast event

Rain is by far the biggest killer in typhoons and although its hard to gauge the intensity until it happens, Nesat does look to be packing a lot of it

If you live in a mountainous area in Hualien or Ilan, or in a flood prone low lying area - then you should seriously consider evacuation

1 Like

Looking at the radar animation, I wonder if this is not going further north - Taipei could even end up in play

The eye has travelled nnw over the last 9 hrs and would need to go virtually due west to get to where itā€™s predicted to go - just south of Hualien city

Lanyu has clocked 80 mil so far from a tail swipe outer band

http://www.cwb.gov.tw/V7/observe/radar/Data/HD_Radar/CV1_3600_201707291030.png

2 Likes

Thanks for the thrilling blow by blow. Iā€™m not even in Taiwan now, but I can almost smell the typhoon.

Last night I arrived in Yilan around 11.45. The ride back home (by bicycle) wasā€¦interesting. Out of the bus there was no rain and little to now wind, so i thought:ā€œOh neat, no need to get a cab, Iā€™ll just take my steedā€.

In the 10kms from the station to home I got so wet that if I dived into the ocean I would not have noticed any difference. At a certain point there was a wall of water that turned everything white, I couldnā€™t see anything beyond 10/15 meters away. I had the thought of hiding under the highway bridge, but the rain slowed down a little bit and sicne the wind was not particularly strong I managed to make it home.

40 minutes to ride 10kms is my new slowest record !

I wish I had my GoPro to record the expression of the few people I met on the way back!

3 Likes

I went out for breakfast. A mix of some serious beams of sun and black clouds. I felt like to ride my motorcycle to the coast and even get into the water, but if itā€™s going to rain I guess Iā€™ll stay at home watching movies.

Well, my flight for midnight tonight has now been rescheduled to 4am tomorrow morning. Iā€™d guess thatā€™s typhoon related, although the email didnā€™t give a reason.

Keep that GoPro handy - thereā€™s a chance Ilan could end up with the brunt of it

The eye is already level with Taidong city but still quite far out to sea

http://www.cwb.gov.tw/V7/observe/radar/Data/HD_Radar/CV1_3600_201707291030.png

1 Like

Now itā€™s just grey and dull, nothing interesting to see.
I prepared my tripod and camera by the window, though. We have a side of the house facing the west and the balcony is often semi-dry even during typhoons.

I have to admire the toughness of the Taiwanese who lived before radar. Having to deal with typhoons unexpectedly must have been quite rough.

I wonder if this typhoon doesnā€™t literally have your name written on it

Itā€™s called Nesat - NE - SAT - meaning itā€™s going to the North East on Saturday?

Last year we had Nepartak - which was obviously a thinly veiled attack on Taidong artists

It was a conspiracy all along!

For GFS the eye will basically pass over my house. That would be amazing, Iā€™ve always wanted to take a picture from the center of a typhoon!

MAKE.IT.HAPPEN.

Just for comparison, this is Nepartak at a similar distance from the coast last year:
CV1_3600_201607072250

This is Nesat now - it doesnā€™t lose much by comparisonā€¦

Is it me or itā€™s going just North?

It noticed that Iā€™m recharging my cameraā€™s batteries and doesnā€™t want me to miss the opportunity. How nice of him!

Yeah, itā€™s going north. If youā€™re in Taipei, especially a coastal place, you definitely need to be on alert

88 mil in Pingdong in the last hour - and thatā€™s just from some incoming on a feed-in stream - there will be a lot more just north of wherever it hits