Typhoons 2020

Well, the lack of flooding and wind damage and injuries are of course good. But I’m not sure if the current reservoir levels are something to worry about or not.

Source: 台灣水庫即時水情

1 Like

Seems ok for Kaoshiung/South. The main lake is 94.7% full (maybe too full, should allow some room for flood control). There is one lake at 5.2% full, it’s tiny lake 1/100th of the size of the main one full at 94%)

1 Like

We’ve been having fairly regular rainfall typical of the summer months, i.e. piss storms in the afternoon that dissipate before the evening. So it doesn’t seem like we’re drying up. I’m mostly just grumpy about the lack of typhoon days.

1 Like

It is 2020. I wouldn’t push our luck with a typhoon.

Maybe the first one - currently known as TD05 - could grow of course.

4 Likes

It is August, not one of the best months in this culture. Brace ourselves?

I will probably spray a bit of bracing cologne inside my mask. The heat won’t change, and may go up. The odd, but piercing pit stank will only get worse in August imo.

And where oh where is @IbisWtf?

3 Likes

The Japanese have this spray disinfectant for masks that does wonders, as well as the mask protection layer sold at Family Mart which catches saliva and sweat, extending the life of your masks and making wearing long time much more comfortable.

Ghost Month starts September 2. That’s when it is going to get interesting…or not. Nothing the spirits from yonder can do beyond what has been done so far. I bet they do not want to come out either.

Wait… it’s in SEPTEMBER this year?

Guy

Google says so. My lunar calendar is at the office though.

1 Like

Yup, the lunar calendar is all a little late this year because we had two… April’s I think?
Anyway, the spinny thing has a name! It is now known as Tropical Storm Hagupit, and looks like it’ll pass by tonight. Probably nothing too exciting, but given how many people are in the water these days, and how little notice there is of this storm, that’s kind of a bad combination :grimacing:

Hey guys, it’s really happening. A typhoon is approaching. Batten down some hatches. Let’s do this!

The models I’ve seen project this one to skirt northeast of Taiwan, heading for Zhejiang:

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/western-pacific/2020/tropical-storm-hagupit

Expect cooler temperatures (a forecasted high of 29 [!] in Taipei on Monday) and some water to fall from the sky. We should be back to business-as-usual, with highs in the mid-30s, by midweek.

Guy

Dammit no, it’s going to veer south overnight, I gots a feeling in my bones.

1 Like

No no no, your numbers are all wrong, we’ve got to test everything to make sure this typhoon is something something. Don’t trust the government! The typhoon is COMING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE!!!

Slightly more seriously: I may as well be the first to ask the inevitable question: any chance of typhoon days from this? I’m guessing not, since this seems to have appeared out of nowhere, which suggests it hasn’t had time to build up much power, but I don’t know sh*t about this stuff.

Reminder of the link for closures:
https://www.dgpa.gov.tw/typh/daily/ndse.html

1 Like

Currently it’s unlikely—unless the bear is right and this thing changes course!

Guy

2 Likes

Its not even strong enough to be classified as a Typhoon yet, maximum forecast winds over the next 48h are just over 100kmh - a fresh breeze!!!.

Tropical Depression = Wind below 63kmh
Tropical Storm = Wind between 63 and 118kmh - what this one is.
Typhoon Category 1 - Wind between 119 and 153kmh.

And it seems that this one will pass by about 100km NE of Taiwan in any case, so a bit windy and wet is about all we can expect. So forget the days off.

1 Like

Looks like a sneaky one to me. Will look like passing by, then do a loop back and build up to category 5 for a direct smash into Jilong heading southward.

2 Likes

Typhoons harvest their destructive power from sea temps. The higher the temperature of the sea (at the surface) in the path of the typhoon, the stronger the typhoon becomes. That’s why typhoons peter out when they veer out over cooler seas.

I have no idea about this one, but my experiences with Atlantic hurricanes is they can go from Tropical Storm to Cat3 overnight. Of course, those usually pass over very warm Caribbean seas. The Pacific is much deeper here, and as long as the typhoon stays over deep water the less likely is an overnight change in strength.

2 Likes

Please don’t make me say it…I hope it won’t pull a Nari.