Typhoons 2020

Yah, really not good. Considering 99% of Bangladesh population is less than 10 m above sea level, and most of the south is less than 3 m above.

1 Like

I assume that the water the storm could push inland 25.8km and over Banghar (my God) would happen if the maximum 5.5m storm surge came to be (holy Christ).

5.5m of storm surge is no joke. Would be very bad news anywhere in the world.

1 Like

https://i.imgur.com/QxLcWx8.gif

Current Conditions (from JTWC) :
Latitude : 14:12:08 N
Longitude : 86:21:02 E
Intensity (MSLP) : 898.0 hPa

Oof.

“The cyclone is still producing wave heights of about 15 metres (49 feet) and a storm surge of 9 metres (30 feet).”

it will weaken by the time it makes landfall on the Bangladesh-India border, but still… and Bangladesh is on the windy side (southerly winds to the east of the eye will push that storm surge way up there).

Oh yeah, and not to forget Calcutta! Kolkata is not very well prepared either, and they’re all on coronavirus lockdown…

Senior Typhoon Correspondent @IbisWtf has been so bored this year, he’s now reporting on Bengali cyclones.

2 Likes

slED3xF

It has weakened a bit overnight.

2 Likes

Forecast has been lowered a fair bit, still a huge issue for the impacted areas in Bangladesh.

1 Like
1 Like

Another spinny thing headed for Pinoyland, they’re having a rough start of the season.

1 Like

Looks like it will have a Pinoyland-HK trip.

2 Likes

My students were all telling my the typhoon will hit Taiwan today.

1 Like

…how much crack do your students consume on a daily basis?

4 Likes
2 Likes

This is weird to look at. This is all of 2020 so far. It’s never this empty.

2 Likes

Good link, but @IbisWtf is going to be so disappointed to see an update in this thread and then discover there’s no breaking news from the Gods of Spinning Winds.

It’s the virus, I tell you. Less turbulence due to limited air traffic.

2 Likes

Hmm, there might be something to that. Also perhaps supported by the 7-day periods of typhoon activity which some have attributed to less vehicle traffic on weekends… why do we always get typhoons on a weekend?

2 Likes

Conspiracy theories :popcorn:

It’s looking like we’re wrapping up the first July on record here without a single typhoon. Seems weird.

3 Likes

Nice, though!