Typhoons 2021

Meanwhile, in Taipei, it’s surprisingly bright out.

Is this the calm before the storm, or will this typhoon turn out to be a nothing burger?

Guy

It’s been pissing it down on and off here for the last several hours (light rain at the moment), and I’m just down the road near Taipower Building.

1 Like

My computer room has an east-facing window. It’s been a morning of “Oh, it’s dark - I’d better open the curtains.” “Ah!!! Too much sun! Close the curtains!” “Huh, dark again.”

Scattered brief heavy showers in Danshui.

2 Likes

I have to wonder – how much control do we as humans have in 2021 in trying to manipulate the paths of storms like this? I know that cloud seeding has been around for quite some time and has even been weaponized before, but what about storm path manipulation? By no means an expert, but I imagine this can be done via heating/cooling the ocean?

1 Like

Monthly electricity bill would be enormous.

2 Likes

Warm the ocean? What with, sharks with fricken lasers?

:rofl:

4 Likes

Just install a fan to blow it away

1 Like

That’s normal. The west is usually the dry side of these storms. Lot’s of weird stormy windy, but not big rain like the east side.

ha well, apparently this idea is not as far off as you might think:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/hurricane-geoengineering-climate-change-environment

For better and worse, denying zones and targeting zones for storms/rainfall carry massive implications. I have no idea how possible this currently is (it seems like previously disclosed tests have been a mixed bag of results), but I imagine this potential is a “when” and not an “if” for the future.

UPDATE: Now a rainless morning in Xinyi. :unamused:

" HAARP is a target of conspiracy theorists, who claim that it is capable of “weaponizing” weather. Commentators and scientists say that advocates of this theory are uninformed, as claims made fall well outside the abilities of the facility, if not the scope of natural science"

Thank god we don’t do that here. It’s barbaric to even suggest that, let alone actually inflict corporal punishment!

1 Like

Is it just me or is there a even more giant typhoon forming right behind In-fa?

1 Like

I closed whatever radar tab I had opened, can you link what you’re observing?

Looks like it’s about to start spinning.

3 Likes

What the heck! I put put windy on Monday and

Plus you can seem cempaka move towards us but as a baby

Indeed! Mussolini kept the trains running on time type of thinking.

I think that’s about to go due north.

In Fa is a weird one. We’ll have three days of effect here in Okinawa.

Go on, stop ruining our four day weekend and fuck off to drown Shanghai, why don’t you already!?!

1 Like

A woman in Kaohsiung is in critical condition after being electrocuted while walking through a puddle that contained exposed wires. As per ICRT noon news.

Stay safe out there people.

I mentioned to some Taiwanese how much this place reminds me of Thailand, they were not impressed

2 Likes

Tragic way to go.

I have anxiety watching people wade through flood waters. Some exposed electric wires and you are toast. Especially in countries where electrical code was just a suggestion in old buildings (no mandatory grounding, etc.)

3 Likes