Typhoons 2021

Just out of curiosity, why is that?

I mean, I think I get why a band of cooler water would resist a typhoon (less evaporation so higher pressure?)…but what’s the mechanism for it moving ENE rather than WSW?

(If it’s because of the direction of water flow, why are those two things coupled?)

1 Like

I’m not really sure why. It does seem counter-intuitive, but then I’m not a rheologist! I suspect it has to do with being unable to generate enough force to push against the winds coming from the north, and being pulled easterly because of that. The higher air pressure gradient runs east-west in all the models I’m looking at (ECMWF, GFS, and NOAA), and that might be the driver that pushes the storm easterly, when coupled to the Coriolis force spinning the typhoon counter-clockwise.

Hey, if anyone out there knows more than me, please correct me! or add to the story…

2 Likes

I don’t think that typhoons really care much about the water flowing underneath them, as the speed of water currents is so much slower than the airspeed of a typhoon! In fact, they tend to drive the water flow on the ocean surface, rather than the other way around (deep ocean currents are of course not affected).

They are much more affected by wind direction and by water temperature, where evaporation and convection of water vapor are the biggest drivers of typhoon formation, direction, and strength.

2 Likes

So with any luck this will give me nice clean skies as I summit Mt Kavulungan on the 26th.

No! We need lots of rain.

1 Like

Perfect weather for angry swarms of Asian giant hornets!

1 Like

No! Leave the Bear alone! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Guy

Us bears have a non-aggression pact with the hornets. I got nine other honkies I’ll push them on to.

Mostly due to subtropical ridge behavior, the JTWC prognostic reasoning provides useful description regarding the track estimation.

1 Like

So…it’s not happening?

Oh, it’s happening. Just not near you.

Sad frog.

2 Likes

Maybe @ibiswtf moved to the philippines.

3 Likes

Oh, god luck with your walk by the way. I just realized that this is Beidawushan by its native name.

I did that climb around new year in 2006 or 2007 and we had snow falling at the peak. And I saw some kind of marten on that trip too, as well as many deer and some pigs.

No hornets, what with the snow and all.

1 Like

I just hope my knees hold out.

1 Like

Looks like it may skim the Philippines
and hit Taiwan.

3 Likes

Fingers crossed

2 Likes

Somewhere Ibis is smiling

2 Likes

typhoon you say?

Fingers crossed. Will be my first one.

3 Likes

It’s still most likely to pass to the east of us. But it seems to be trending our way, sometimes those trends continue.