Typhoons 2023

Time for a 2023 thread!

The depression is likely to move closer to the Philippines over the next few days, with forecasters in Europe and the United States saying there is a 20% chance it will turn into Tropical Storm Sanvu, according to meteorologist Daniel Wu (吳德榮).

He pointed out that from 1911 to 2022, Taiwan had only seen one typhoon hitting as early as April, making the likelihood of a tropical storm this month extremely limited.

4 Likes

When was the last time a typhoon actually directly hit Taiwan?

I am struggling to even remember. :thinking:

Guy

2 Likes

2020? Recent typhoons in Taiwan

1 Like

It’s been a while since it’s more about depressions than typhoons.

1 Like

Looks like this one will go inland into Philippines before getting any bigger and die down.

1 Like

Tropical Storm Mawar approaching:

2 Likes

Oh ffs… I don’t need it… Unless it leaves behind dry and clear days after passing by. I need no rain next week!

2 Likes

I’m just trying to be the first

And here’s the prediction for Saturday night

1 Like

Still too early to call, most predictions let it stay out at sea, and move northwards into the nothing.
Water temperatures and pressure systems are all over the place right now, so it’s path and strength is very uncertain, and can change overnight.

In the meantime its clear that a stronger than average El Nino is developing rapidly.
Years with a strong El Nino also had stronger, and more than average quantity of typhoons, 1997, and 2017.
More typhoons, more chance to be hit …

1 Like

More days off!

Hurrah!

Typhoon already causing flight disruptions.

If I am reading this correctly, one plane made 5 attempts at landing. Absolutely insane.

1 Like

Where?

An EVA flight from Malaysia to TPE.

一名搭乘長榮班機從馬來西亞返台的乘客表示,飛機要降落桃園機場前,先是盤旋了一段時間,隨後共降落了5次才平安落地,過程彷彿在坐雲霄飛車,當時機上不少人情緒緊張,甚至拿著嘔吐袋狂吐,直到看到飛機成功降落,大家才鬆一口氣,拍手感謝機長。

Gross.

1 Like

2 days too late :wink:

1 Like

It might happen. Not soon, but maybe.

3 Likes

No, it’s not gonne happen … not with this one …
Waters are still too cold, and because of the slow movement, it will fizzle out.
Rain will be an other thing, but that is probably good.

3 Likes

Let’s see where that cutie is now…

Not close enough.

2 Likes

Possibilities…

It’s all happening! Release the Kracken!

2 Likes