Typhoons 2023

Or: release @IbisWtf ! :rofl:

Guy

5 Likes

It will die!

it will slow down and stall near Taiwan before heading north and weakening as it passes Okinawa. thatā€™s my best guess, five days out.

water temps are still 28-29 all the way from Guam to southern Taiwan (thatā€™s a country, BTW). then dropping off to 26-27 degrees from there northwards.

Did it claim independence from the rest of Taiwan? :wink:

1 Like

To early to tell. But south might get much needed rain.

https://www.metoc.navy.mil/jtwc/products/wp0223.gif

3 Likes

I seriously doubt even that ā€¦

Taiwan is the country. Not Southern Taiwan, which might result from a Sudanese style anti Taipei uprising from Taichung southwards. But is not a country yet.

Actually, theyā€™d need to write a new constitution then, so that would be interesting!

The Republic of Zeelandia? Sirayaland?

If anyone needs more possible names for this fictitious nation, let me know! :grin:

Guy

2 Likes

We donā€™t want them midlanders in our southern rebellion.

4 Likes

What kind of name is ā€œMawarā€. I like the Philippineā€™s Name for the stormā€¦just no nonsense ā€œBETTY.ā€ I suffered though YOLANDA in Dec 2021 (HaiYan) and sure am Hoping Betty keeps tracking north to cool off and dissipate.

Btw: this is my First post on this Forum ā€¦ Spent 10 years on Taiwan back in late 80s to 90s. Love the placeā€¦ currently in Cebu Philippines.

Cheers

4 Likes

welcome to Forumosa

To answer your question the name Mawar is girlā€™s name of Indonesian origin meaning ā€œroseā€. is from the international list, the Philippines just do their own thing.

International names

Main article: List of retired Pacific typhoon names

A tropical cyclone is named when it is judged to have 10-minute sustained windspeeds of 65 km/h (40 mph).[57] The JMA selected the names from a list of 140 names, that had been developed by the 14 members nations and territories of the ESCAP/WMO Typhoon Committee.[58] Retired names, if any, will be announced by the WMO in 2024; though replacement names will be announced in 2025. The next 28 names on the naming list are listed here along with their international numeric designation, if they are used.

• Sanvu (2301)
  • Mawar (2302) (active)
  • Guchol (unused)
  • Talim (unused)
  • Doksuri (unused)
  • Khanun (unused)
  • Lan (unused) * Saola (unused)
  • Damrey (unused)
  • Haikui (unused)
  • Kirogi (unused)
  • Yun-yeung (unused)
  • Koinu (unused)
  • Bolaven (unused) * Sanba (unused)
  • Jelawat (unused)
  • Ewiniar (unused)
  • Maliksi (unused)
  • Gaemi (unused)
  • Prapiroon (unused)
  • Maria (unused) * Son-Tinh (unused)
  • Ampil (unused)
  • Wukong (unused)
  • Jongdari (unused)
  • Shanshan (unused)
  • Yagi (unused)
  • Leepi (unused)

Philippines

Main article: List of retired Philippine typhoon names

This season, PAGASA will use its own naming scheme, that will either develop within or move into their self-defined area of responsibility.[59] The names were taken from a list of names, that was last used during 2019 and are scheduled to be used again during 2027.[59] All of the names are the same except Tamaraw and Ugong, which replaced the names Tisoy and Ursula after they were retired.[59]

• Amang
  • Betty (unused)
  • Chedeng (unused)
  • Dodong (unused)
  • Egay (unused) * Falcon (unused)
  • Goring (unused)
  • Hanna (unused)
  • Ineng (unused)
  • Jenny (unused) * Kabayan (unused)
  • Liwayway (unused)
  • Marilyn (unused)
  • Nimfa (unused)
  • Onyok (unused) * Perla (unused)
  • Quiel (unused)
  • Ramon (unused)
  • Sarah (unused)
  • Tamaraw (unused) * Ugong (unused)
  • Viring (unused)
  • Weng (unused)
  • Yoyoy (unused)
  • Zigzag (unused)

Auxiliary list

• Abe (unused)
  • Berto (unused) * Charo (unused)
  • Dado (unused) * Estoy (unused)
  • Felion (unused) * Gening (unused)
  • Herman (unused) * Irma (unused)
  • Jaime (unused)
3 Likes

Lol. Auxiliary list! For when Philippines has more than 26 named typhoons in one season.

Which may well happenā€¦

2 Likes

Welcome.

Looks like Cebu will get a pass from Mawar.

1 Like

Deflectors engaged.

https://www.metoc.navy.mil/jtwc/products/wp0223.gif

3 Likes

There are some predictions that the whole thing will indeed implode to a tropical depression east of Taiwan, then move west straight over us.
That should bring a lot of rain without the wind ā€¦ Interesting prognoses ā€¦

2 Likes

It looks like it will just sit off the coast for 2 to 3 days. Itā€™s good that the reservoirs will be filled, but I just hope there wonā€™t be too much rainā€¦

1 Like

Might still interrupt flight schedules.

So how are things looking with Super Typhoon Mawar? Hereā€™s one projection from the Central Weather Bureau.

Guy

2 Likes

Itā€™s going to be bit damp on the East coast.