Typhoons 2023

The important bit as per the tv news: don’t even dream about typhoon day off. It ain’t happening.

4 Likes

Directorate-General of Personnel Administration,Executive Yuan - Work and class status during natural disasters?

For the inevitable queries in the coming days!

3 Likes

Probably not too dry in Taipei either. CeBIT weather for Computex :face_vomiting: (ok, minus the snow mixed with the rain, and the rain freezing over)

Do they have typhoon make-up days too?? If so, I never want to have a typhoon day here lol

2 Likes

Don’t give them any ideas!

5 Likes

In the US, most places in the north said “snow days are now virtual learning days” after they saw the smashing success that was online learning during the peak of the pandemic…

1 Like

Most cram schools don’t pay teachers for typhoon days. I have a suspicion that it’s illegal, but they still don’t pay. The usual suspect will no doubt correct me shortly.

While it’s still some ways away, the waves on the east coast are already starting to increase.

Waves in Taitung were like 6 meters when crashing. If a school bus was next to this wave, I’d be underneath it.

Also already reports on taiwan news that several are missing after being swept out to sea while on beaches in yilan and hualien.

2 Likes

Yikes! Folks lulled into complacency by the sunshine on the beach?

Guy

1 Like

Latest track seems to have it trending closer

Focus Taiwan has a story up on these tragedies.

EDIT: As also mentioned in another thread by @MalcolmReynolds . Just awful.

Guy

1 Like

They wouldn’t piss on you if you were on fire.

4 Likes

“Check the boy’s convictions”? I assume they mean “condition”?

Edited out a joke about the writing – not the kid – made when I didn’t know which kid was shown in the photo and just assumed he was being treated, to avoid offending any more sensitive souls.

The kid that died in Hualien was reportedly trying to help his friend. He lost his life in the process.

Guy

4 Likes

That’s a shame, but I’m just asking about the caption in the news article. If you’re offended, sorry.

(I’m in the middle of cooking and only skimmed the story before – it wasn’t clear to me who “the boy” is referring to, given that a few people/children have apparently had accidents in the sea today.)

The Yilan one is also sad/weird. Four Taiwanese swept out to sea as Typhoon Mawar brings strong waves to east coast | Taiwan News | 2023-05-28 14:48:00

25 yr old guy goes to beach with “18” yr old, who was actually 12?! Both got swept up by waves but 25 yr old guy was able to swim back.

Neipi beach is no joke. It’s one of the most beautiful in Yilan, but the waves and rip tides without a typhoon in distance kill multiple people a year.

3 Likes

That creep reportedly met the girl (a first year junior high school student) on a dating app called Lemo. Now she’s dead.

I would think her parents are going to be pretty f&cking angry.

Guy

1 Like

Took a 30 minute break after a full driving around Taiwan to watch waves and cool down, friggen hot n polluted today!

I was guessing 4~5m waves. cwb says 6~7. they were beautifully tame and violent at the same time :slight_smile:

Photos never do them justice. but it was incredibly relaxing. the calm before the storm is always quite spectacular, sometimes even surreal.

2 Likes

That is tragic, guy.

1 Like

I am flying out of TPE on Wednesday 5/31… praying.

2 Likes