Typhoons 2023

Wednesday is my day off. If it could speed up and hit Tuesday that would be great.

1 Like

A week ago, Windy was indicating it would hit on Tuesday. Now it seems to have slowed down significantly…

1 Like

Friday’s also good with me.

1 Like

An other beautiful pre-typhoon day on the river …

I still think it will be a total non-event, but we will bring the last boats to the safety of Danshui fishing harbour today.

5 Likes

https://www.metoc.navy.mil/jtwc/products/wp0223.gif

7ngnxp

9 Likes

Getting off the city bus and stepping into 2 feet of water. Going into the buxiban bathroom and holding socks onto the air dryer for 15 minutes each, only to find out that they canceled classes.

First year overseas:

1 Like

That meme somehow never gets old. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

2 Likes

Probably a very unpopular opinion here, but I find the parents 100% at fault for their daughter’s death.

Why does a 12 year old have a cellphone? How does a 12 year old get on a dating sight without the parent’s knowledge? How does a 12 year old get away for the day for a romantic beach getaway without the parent’s knowledge?

I don’t know of any acquaintances that have a 12-year-old child that don’t know exactly where their kid is at all times!

Parenting failure!

6 Likes

Maybe the parents are working?

I have no inside knowledge, other than to feel rage about this awful loss of life.

Guy

2 Likes

Because pretty much every 12 year old on earth has a cell phone.

Meanwhile Mawar moves on. Here’s one more projection. If accurate, @urodacus will have some company soon!

Guy

3 Likes

I called this scenario a week ago!

Certainly going to mess up our weekend: no sailing for me.

1 Like

Back on topic of thread, it seems getting too close to beaches that have warnings are now fineable offences.

Can understand why. From a far distance yesterday with a telezoom lense captured this guy rather close to the breaking waves (of course a bit of forced perspective). The waves must have been 15-20ftish and before any official sea warnings. If a huge wave came and sweeps people away, coast guard has to risk their lives.

I definitely don’t want to be on any boat to orchard or green island or anywhere else.

4 Likes

Orchid Island first one to stop work/classes.

1 Like

12 posts were split to a new topic: From typhoons

Yes. And probably more than a bit. And even if so he doesn’t look all that close.

I use to go to the coast during/after/before typhoons, it was a very exciting experience. There were always people looking for and at big waves. I had no idea this practice was forbidden and punished.

I’m surprised they haven’t announced a blanket ban on all water activities year round in response to the sad news. If I remember correctly that’s what they did at the beach where a mother her and kids got pulled to sea whilst riding four-wheelers about a day or so before a typhoon was set to hit Taiwan…

Seems like almost every year there is a typhoon a few people always go playing by the ocean right before the typhoon comes and die. I figured common sense would be a pretty reasonable approach to it. Still tragic news though for this young girl taken by the 25 yr. old solider. Seems like he might get charged with seduction.

The slow-moving typhoon could bring heavy rain or torrential rain to the Greater Taipei Area, Yilan and Hualien, CWB forecaster Lin Ping-yu (林秉昱) said, while sporadic rain can be expected in southern Taiwan in the afternoon.

Super typhoon Mawar is expected to be the strongest tropical cyclone since 2021. The storm is expected to bring heavy showers to northern and eastern parts of Taiwan. In addition to the usual typhoon safety tips, doctors have added one to add to the list that many might not normally consider. (To avoid iced water and alcohol.)

4 Likes

Wait, why the heck are these quacks saying we can’t have cold water and wine… because of inclement weather???

2 Likes

Yes, warm water, I’ve been offered that numerous times at which I always respond ‘no thank you, I use warm water to shower, cold or iced is OK form me.’

1 Like