U.S. Navy admiral makes unannounced visit to Taiwan, sources say

If China were a Western power, I might agree. However, I suspect China will give tip its hand long before any military attack.

My feeling is that having a place to retreat to is pretty sensible, even if it’s never used for that purpose.

That’s a pretty big assumption on which to bet your life.

We’ll have to agree to disagree.

1 Like

Include me in that number.

1 Like

One is a successful businessman who manufactures some new products in Taiwan. One of his products (he is no longer involved in) almost everyone in the west will at least know someone who used it. Not a virtue signaling Hollywood muppet.

You think Western countries are prone to sneak attacks without warning? Examples, please.

I can’t come up with even a single example of sea-based invasion attempt by China of any well-allied Asian island since the Mongols were killed off on Japanese beaches centuries ago. The Japanese were not allied with anybody afaik, and the Mongols weren’t technically Chinese.

So yeah, struggling for examples.

1 Like

They’ll have to if they intend to invade in force.

2 Likes

I don’t think it will be possible for China to have the element of surprise. I think even by conservative estimates, Taiwan will know 2 months out if they intend on attacking. I think this is the single biggest factor deterring an invasion. Taiwan is fully aware of the ways China can invade, and it’s not that many.

3 Likes

China could launch a saturation attack without tipping its hand too much. Preparations for a full invasion would be very difficult to hide, but we’re assuming that that’s a requirement for taking effective control of the island. Perhaps it isn’t.

1 Like

Do you really have a bloomberg terminal subscription?

Extremely strong flex

Great. More Taiwan for the rest of us!

1 Like