UBike - New Rules for Foreigners?

yea thats a good point. couldn’t someone make a news story about this? get some attention!

i have no idea how that official response could be seen as in any way acceptable.

3 Likes

In case anyone needs an official link for the formatting instructions for TARC/ARC/APRC for their complaint, here’s one:

5 Likes
  1. That these problems will be solved once the new unified ID number system is in place, bla bla bla…

Which does not explain why there is a problem in the first place, especially where there was none.

1. We are probably thinking too much. They just changed the computer system because they hired a new company, that was not aware of the existence of foreign Ubike users…

Which does not explain why this is so as the Ubike service is promoted for tourists. Isn’t it silly to leave residents out? I mean, a la Palace Museum?

7 Likes

that’s the case every time! Nobody is aware of how their own country actually works! Even the people TASKED with knowing don’t know. And they get an income!

9 Likes

yea that makes zero sense.

also isn’t there a limit of the amount of cards you can register per person or am i getting that wrong?

1 Like

For amusement, this site also rejects ARC as being invalid when put in the Identity Card Number box :wink:

1 Like

I think the limit is 5

1 Like

though they have an option to skip it.

1 Like

Indeed, it’s an optional field.

Just had to figure out not long ago you can skip it. I made a report about a safety problem on a local bridge, and they came and fixed it within a week. Maybe this will work as well :slight_smile: There was some cursing until I figured out you can skip it :slight_smile:

I got another, longer response from YouBike that explicitly says ARC is not OK

We are writing to acknowledge the receipt of your email.
For register to be a YouBike member, it requires Taiwan mobile number and an EasyCard/Ipass, and user’s serial number of Taiwanese ID card (not ARC or others).
If you do have friends or relatives in Taiwan, We highly recommand that you can use their cellphone number and register with your EasyCard below their account on our website.
Or if you have credit card (VISA, MASTER, JCB), you can go to our stations directly and use Kiosk to rent the bike by single rental. One credit card can only rent one bike during the time you are riding. It also will have deposit $2000NT every time you rent a bike, our system will going to cancel the deposit after you return your bike properly and this amount will refund to your account afterwards(at least 15 working days).
Please do not hesitate to contact us directly in the future if you have any questions or concerns.
Contacting number: 1999 #

2 Likes

I got the same reply.

I think we should send mails to governing agencies.

5 Likes

I think we need to organise, everyone can then bring something to the table.

1 Like

That is terrible!

Guy

3 Likes

I got the same response but mine didn’t have the $2,000 part.

Let’s say you rent a bike twice per day. “At least” 15 working days to get the deposit refunded. That is going to add up fairly quickly.

1 Like

30 mins free only if:
You buy the 1280 monthly ticket. And use that EasyCard for renting Youbike anywhere.
Or
You rent Youbike in New Taipei City.

Otherwise, business as usual.

1 Like

I’ve contacted The News Lens about it and a few others. Might write an article on it and spread the word later. Hopefully someone will take some notice because this is a massive oversight.

12 Likes

Agreed - it looks like the spam approach may not be effective with YouBike support if this is what we’re getting back.

You’ve got the experience, how do you suggest we proceed?

On my end, I’ve started by asking YouBike support for the contact details of their competent authority for the purposes of filing a complaint under the Immigration Act.

10 Likes

I think ministry of transportation and communication, national immigration agency, and national development council are not bad places to send on this issue.

1 Like

We’re definitely going to need a few TW allies. Customer Support Centre reps dont have the power to change things. This kind of stuff involves being face to face. It involves taking a day or two off of work. It involves the sight that we are legitimately angry.

When you are out of sight, you are out of mind.

@Marco Quote

1 Like