Ugggh Winnipeg

Thompson is technically a city, but with a population under 14k it’s what most people would call a town at best. The list putting Winnipeg first is probably only for city-size cities.

1 Like

How would one city bring down a national pension system?

1 Like

That list has its pros and cons for sure, but there are several major points to be made:

1. Most importantly, the information used to make that list is from 2018. If it had 2019’s data, it would be much, much different. (We are already over the record for Winnipeg murders)

2. The places on that list are all under a hundred thousand in population if not 50,000. So it is not really comparing apples to apples.

Regardless, for a big major city in Canada- it is bad. Regular people do not even dare walk through the North End in daylight, and this is Canada!!!

As some of you are aware, I have been formulating an exit plan for a while (early retirement in 4 years). However, I have realized recently that I don’t really want early retirement, I just don’t want to be in Winnipeg, doing this super high stress job that will likely take years off of my life. So I have applied for a job with the federal government … I should be able to transfer my pension and not be in a job that slowly killing me … And most importantly get myself and my family out of this place !!!

1 Like

Is this doc pretty factual ?

https://youtu.be/TlUcsKSbpNI

2 Likes

Great video - totally accurate. Thanks for posting it.

1 Like

They certainly are getting closer together. “Third world” and “first world” are converging on a midpoint of homogeneous mediocrity.

Look, I think public safety matters for everyone. I think we agree on this point.

But this usage—and the implied existence of NOT REGULAR PEOPLE who also live in Winnipeg—is part of the problem.

I hope you can think this through.

Peace to all,
Guy

Nice catch. That’s what you get for writing a post at 7 a.m., however, I stand by my statement. The reality is that no regular people, ie non-criminals, feel safe walking in the north end during the day, let alone during the night - residents and non-residents alike.

Saw some terrible news not in Winnipeg but near it seems, is crime a big problem like in American cities in this region.

[Manhunt after 10 killed in mass stabbing in remote Canadian communities | news.com.au — Australia’s leading news site]
https://www.news.com.au/world/north-america/manhunt-after-10-killed-in-mass-stabbing-in-remote-canadian-communities/news-story/e95de9102d24b4acf2a7889814338537

Canada had a lot of intergenerational trauma and other problems leftover from colonialism. Discrimination against our Indigenous remains a problem, but at least now the school system acknowledges it (I’m of the opinion the pendulum has swung too far, though)

Some Indigenous have done well from land rights, access to education, and other efforts at reconciliation. Sadly, though, crime, violence, substance abuse, and other problems, are still common

This case from a few years ago highlights both the prevalence of rural crime and the complexity of the overall problem. Also Saskatchewan Cree but a different band

1 Like