Museums to consider, besides the British Museum:

Victoria & Albert
Tate Modern
National Gallery
National Portrait Gallery
Churchill War Rooms
Sir John Soaneā€™s Museum

2 Likes

Not too far from London . Oxford area is a nice day out if you have any transport ?

We will probably only have taxi and the tube.

Shame ā€¦mind you there is an outlet Mall at Bicester, nearbyā€¦selling discounted Gucci, Prada ,Versace etcā€¦better to keep Lilith away :yum:

I donā€™t think likes outlets. Last seasons stuff she says lol

I know itā€™s probably no issue to the OP, but Blenheim Palace is obscenely expensive.

Then again, pretty much any tourist hotspot in the UK is.

I noticed this for the first time last summer getting the train back from London to Oxford. It was packed with East Asians. Stopped at Bicester and the entire train emptied.

1 Like

Can do one of the Jack the Ripper tours.

2 Likes

I never knew about this place till I came to Asia. Chinese are obsessed with it

Iā€™ve heard about this place too.

About 20 years ago I worked with a company in Bicester. The town was so different to how it is now.

One word of advice if the OP chooses to visit: be careful using ATMs. The place is notorious for skimmers, possibly due to the huge number of high-spending tourists.

When I was there it was pouring down rain but I think itā€™d be a really nice place if the weather was good.

I went a few years ago and you are right it has changed. Have some Family living in Chesterton, not far way , they had a factory at Launceston ? Business park.
I went to the Outlet Mall ā€¦quite large but like many shopping high streets layout. Almost all the assistants spoke Mandarin . Bought a Tumi Suitcase and then found out it would not fit in my car :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

The Bear at Woodstock was an awesome Pub also. I guess you really would need a car though.
Mr Chows in Knightbridge used to be a great place to eat but I believe itā€™s not as good now? Sat next to Elton John last timeā€¦so itā€™s fun seeing celebs if thatā€™s your thing.

What about any market/area selling vintage stuff? Those must be awesome.

It is my dream to do one of those English Literature tours. Heck, even a Sherlock Holmes one will do.

1 Like

There you go https://jack-the-ripper-tours.com/

1 Like

PMing you now but my 2cents for public consumption: Book of Mormon is amazing. Burger&Lobster is terrible. Balthazar is where I used to take clients (who were paying) and Duck&Waffle is a favourite haunt of bankers who want to watch the sun rise (not been myself, my ex used to do it though).

If you want a proper pint go to Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese on Fleet Street - do not expect (a) to be allowed to use your phone (b) any brand you recognise (they make all their own stuff and Ā© any reception downstairs, and you should go downstairs - itā€™s dark, dirty and Londonā€™s oldest pub. My recommendation is an Oatmeal Stout (from the bottle, the Australians working the bar often mis-hear you and try and pull a different stout from the tap, thatā€™s not the one you want)

Also try Gordons Wine Bar. Again, donā€™t expect American style corporate nonsense, Iā€™ve had my dog on the table in there, and the Italians who work there are properly crazy - but best wine (and port!) menu in London.

Iā€™m born&bread London

1 Like

Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese is a great pub, but The Grapes is the oldest.

I second Gordonā€™s itā€™s great

@BiggusDickus loaves London too

2 Likes