UK raising the minimum earning threshold for spousal visa

I can’t believe the shit government are doing it. You have to earn 38k if you want to bring your spouse to the UK now. 70 percent earn less.

5 Likes

Middle-class only here, darling! :person_with_crown:

Yeah it’s bullshit. The current limit is 18,600GBP so it’s more than double. I can’t imagine two people affording to live on 18,600GBP what with basically no rental availability at that level and food bill alone being about 400GBP per person per month.

I don’t support it, but that’s the reason they’ve raised it. Plus a large amount of political grandstanding.

Well it is 18600 and somewhere to live already.

I agree that it isn’t enough and two people will have to earn more. And they probably will once they are settled.

The problem is that the UK spouse will have to make 38k on his/her own to get the wife/husband over.

The combined income is taken into account for the renewal but for the initial application, the British citizen is going to have to make 38k himself/herself.

Unless the foreign spouse is a high earner and has a job offer.

And how is this going to STOP THE BOATS?

Terrible

4 Likes

It’s an easy target, and looks good in the papers (in their eyes), and also appeases the Daily Mail

The reality is that it just makes it harder for families to stay together.

4 Likes

Christ, what a shit hole.

6 Likes

I’m not anti-Conservative but I do think the recent cabinet of Suella DeVille and Flashi Sunak have a rhetoric that exudes a passive hatred towards people that I haven’t really been attuned to with previous leaders. Even with BoJo taking away all our freedoms, there was at least a slight hint of an impression of some kind of hope. At the moment, I wouldn’t be too surprised to see them sign off on turrets on our beaches.

I don’t even know who is running Home Office now, Cleverly? Complete fuckwits.

1 Like

Why are Western governments becoming increasingly nationalistic? This is clearly designed to do that.

Australia made it harder to get a student visa too because they must somehow cut immigration by half.

No matter, Taiwan will PAY people to come here and study.

1 Like

It’s all shit. Higher earning thresholds for every kind of visa. Not letting nurse/carers bring family when they come. Thinking of scrapping the two year post degree visa. Etc etc.

Predictions of less than 150 seats for the tories next year.

The spousal visa really pisses me off though because in many cases we are talking about parents of British kids. Plus they are such a small percentage of the overall numbers.

7 Likes

Nationalism and closure of immigration (or making it damn near impossible) seems to garner a LOT of support. People get very nationalist at times.

Do those leaders care about people coming in? Not really, but they care that their supporters want their country sealed off.

Or u have £64k in the bank ……. Which I suspect may double too.

It will.

Yeah, that one in particular I knew was exploited a fair bit where I went to university, as people would either just pay up, or apply to some corrupt university admin boards, attend the first week and then never be seen again. There was also some kind of tax loophole which offset the fee to the university in the first place, it was pretty lucrative. You could see the level of investments by the sheer volume of student housing being constructed compared to the actual facilities of the university buildings.

Yeah, innit.

There seems to be a competitive nastiness within the party. Burn the homeless tents, with them in it! kind of thing. Obviously people are playing to the base and looking at future leadership shots.

1 Like

2 Likes

The Tories eh. Literally one law for the rich and another for the poor.

5 Likes

All I can say is that if you were planning on moving to the UK in the next couple of years, I’d move it forward and get the application in while they are filling the old rules.

You have three months.

1 Like

I met a lot of Brits in Taiwan who absolutely HATES their country, I guess I now know why.

1 Like

Like I said the government just goes after low hanging fruit. I worked as a patent examiner for the Intellectual Property Office for 8 years. Our salaries and terms and conditions got attacked constantly for the same reason.

The whole “civil servants have amazing jobs because our taxes pay their salaries” shit. If you think the jobs are so great, why don’t you apply for one?

It’s the same here. Just done to keep Daily Mail readers and old people happy, but massively fucks over honest people. Like you’ll be whinging about how shitty government services are, not realising the low pay you’ve been crying about for years might have somehow to do with it.

Just like you’ll be whinging about lack of nurses because people won’t take the job if they can’t bring their family too. I hate the Daily Mail.

2 Likes

People didn’t care when times were good. Now that the economy is in the shitter they are trying to find a solution. Immigrants are always the lowest hanging fruit since they can’t vote and it’s easy to frame immigration as win-lose.