UK to offer exchange of Taiwan driving licences

Being in the UK without a license is just an unthinkable hell. It takes a while to get used to driving on the wrong side of the road. Everytime i go back i drive the old man’s car and on the first day almost always at some point end up on the wrong side. It takes me about 3 days to adjust.
He still lives in rural Lincolnshire, so no one really cares there anyway, good practice before driving somewhere civilized.
And I cannot stand an automatic makes me feel less in control.

1 Like

Could one say the same for Taiwan?

I had it mastered in a day. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

It’s not that difficult.

A whole day ?

I had practice in the past driving from the UK to France regularly. You have a few minutes to get used to it.

Many people in Taiwan practice when driving round corners.

4 Likes

well… I arrived at the car hire centre at around 6PM the day I started driving in Australia.

Was easy.

Did you get the Uk license? Was it a case of just filling in a form?

ok great :+1:t2:

I haven’t yet. But you have to send in the Taiwanese one and they don’t give it back. Very weird. I wonder if I just get another when I come to Taiwan and it’s fine or not.

1 Like

They do it in Taiwan. Apparently it’s standard for a lot of places.

Get the UK one. Get your Taiwanese one by taking the test when you get back. Perfectly fine.

I have to retake the test?

I think you can just get a replacement.

https://tpcmv.thb.gov.tw/english/ServicesEng/LicenseEng/ManagementEng/ME04.htm

It’s not lost. It’s revoked. They send it to Taiwan.

@Andrew0409 you’re going to be taking a second test if you want two licences.

if it’s exchanged can you not just do the reverse when you move back here?

I don’t know if this is a new thing as I know 2 people back in the uk who used thier Hong Kong licence to get a UK one, and kept both licences (about 10 years ago).

On a side note my uk licence has run out and I don’t have a uk address to renew it at the moment.
So if I’m back in the uk for a holiday I would have to get an International driving permit with my Taiwan licence.

1 Like

I would exchange as long as my UK license is not taken from me by Taiwan driving Center in exchange.

1 Like

Yeah same with me. Kind of messed up.

Yes. But for people like me, it’s an incredible hassle if you’re just visiting the old country for a few weeks. It takes time to get a new licence printed etc…

I think you can drive on your Taiwanese license for a year before you need to exchange. In the uk at least.

You cant swap your Ok one for a Taiwan as of yet. I went down the vehicle office and asked after checking online, also had the wife ring in and talk to different people. Every reply was no you have to take the local test.

yes you get one year in the uk my wife did this before taking her UK test, you also get one year here on the uk licence rich I did until I got my Taiwan one.