UK to offer exchange of Taiwan driving licences

Really for me the last time I went back I picked it up the same day…It was easy.

Has anyone done this yet?

can I turn up in the Uk and then get my Taiwanese licence exchanged like in a few weeks?

By “exchange” does it literally mean you have to give up one licence in exchange for another? Can I not keep them both?

By using “Ok one” to refer to a British driving license, surely you don’t mean to imply that the Taiwan one is NOT Ok?

Where’s your sense of humour?

In my case, that’s exactly what it means.

Could I take the test in Taiwan, exchange it to a UK licence, then take the test in Taiwan again so they give me another licence?

Or if I arrived back in Taiwan would I just need to report the licence as lost and they issue me another?

Do you not have a licence in the UK?

If so, just take the test in Taiwan.

I sent mine in. Hopefully it comes back soon.

1 Like

Report back when you get it. I would want to get a Uk one ASAP if I moved back and going the normal route takes too much time. One of the reasons I didn’t pass there when I was younger.

Getting a UK license now is hard work and time consuming, not without the expense of lessons.

The test and rules get tighter and tighter I wouldn’t want to try again.

I would keep the UK one and reapply for the TW one and hold both.

1 Like

So the DLVA has decided to work at limited capacity due to the virus…sending anything in or any application is taking months. Which is insane since they have all my documents like biometric card for residence, I can’t imagine if I sent in my passport like others did.

Absolutely a nightmare. I’m screwed because I need my license to drive as I have the internationally permit but wanted to exchange for the important business trip to go to a convention with all my products.

I finally received my UK license today l!

3 Likes

How did you manage this with the DVLA? When I sent off the application form and Taiwan licence, I recieved a letter saying I need a translation of the licence from the Taiwan “Embassy” (their word) in the UK. But based on this post (https://www.roc-taiwan.org/uk/post/10134.html), it seems the representative office isn’t doing that yet.

I have no idea. I just sent it in.

Did you just send the application form, Taiwanese licence, and payment? Or was there anything else?

That’s all I sent.

Did you get your documents back?

Yes, got them back

2 Likes

Interesting!

I sent my TW license back in June with the official MOFA english translation and they sent it back to me saying that I needed to wait for the Taiwan UK embassy certification - I’ve been wrangling with the embassy here for months now and they are saying that they have no info from the DVLA and can’t do anything etc. etc.

Seems like I should submit the application again, perhaps this time without the MOFA documents to avoid confusion on their side.

1 Like