Ukraine Invaded by the Russians - April to August 2022

I guess your map works for sanctions, and many countries can’t afford the sanctions because of defense and energy. Even European countries are hurting (though i still don’t expect hundreds of germans to freeze to death)

Here is another map, taking sides on the invasion

2 Likes

Is anyone really surprised? War is a great time to make a profit for … some people.

I don’t know why you want to make it about me, I have zero weight in the outcome, although I would have preferred the war was avoided to begin with and once started brought to an end, but some who do have a say like Boris Johnson seem to want this fight to go on till the bloody end where it seems he is of the mind Ukraine will prevail.

Others who have been in the Ukraine orbit all weighed in with the article below, these are the people that might have been able to steer a course away from war, they are asking for longer range missiles to be supplied.

https://thehill.com/opinion/national-security/3605064-us-must-arm-ukraine-now-before-its-too-late/

And what are these geniuses envisaging as some way to wind down the war.

What does defeat for Putin look like? The survival of Ukraine as a secure, independent, and economically viable country. That means a Ukraine with defensible borders that include Odesa and a substantial portion of the Black Sea coast, as well as a strong, well-armed military and a real end to hostilities. That should ideally include the return to Ukrainian control of all territories seized since Feb. 24 and, ultimately, the lands stolen in 2014, including Crimea.

Emphasis added was mine. That part is not even close to being on the negotiating table.

Again, not much different from Boris Johnson was saying, except, something is going to have to change for that to happen, much as we don’t like to report on it in the west, Russia is still moving like a steamroller through the Donbas region.

Is that what is happening right now?

Guy

Yeah, the steamroller I think is fairly apt analogy, moving slowly leaving a wake of destruction, but moving they are.

The word “standstill” has been all over the international press today. Generally, fits and starts describes what has happened overall.

The most interesting recent development has been the Ukranian successes behind the lines

I know, but it seems at best that is misleading and worst just wrong. There was some speculation Russia is swapping out their fighting units, they only have about 10% of their fighting force there and can rotate them out when considered time to rest the fighting troops. So a pause at best, while Russia resupplies and so on, although there are still reports of Russian advancements in the Donbas.

Yup, difficult to know what’s true and what’s bullshit. That’s probably part of why nobody bothered to post any of the standstill articles

Same is true of the speculation you share which paints Russia in a flattering light.

So, not a steamrolling.

No, they are still advancing. Although at a steamroller pace. I skip though most days, it isn’t very different from one day to another.

The guys not an expert, but he is reading all reports and just gives an unbiased opinion at the end. It’s pretty consistent and doesn’t seem to want to sell people anything, just what he can assertain, but like I say, pretty repetitive.

1 Like

Speaking of skipping, is that the disbarred lawyer again?

Well congratulations, you have found a reason to dismiss him out of hand.

Good luck getting accurate information from the MSM. The difference being, what he has been saying, has been matched with what turns out to be the truth looking back over time, the MSM, not quite so much, or not quite at all.

1 Like

Congratulations, you have found a blanket reason to dismiss hundreds, perhaps thousands, of journalists out of hand

I’m not going to do a historical comparison to see which is more accurate. I’m perfectly happy with the way I consume information, and haven’t been surprised about much that has happened.

The MSM expectation that the war would be short had been proven wrong and was a surprise. Did this guy make an early prediction that the war would be this long?

1 Like

No idea.

He’s doing a day by day report and consumes news from all directions and seems to give a fairly accurate description of what is happening.

It’s repetitive, it’s not exciting, it comports to what is happening over time. He focuses on where the main fighting is, the Donbas and I don’t update because there is no good news coming out from there.

As I think the NYT complained about a few months ago, their source for information all comes from the Ukrainian authorities. Unless things have changed, as I understand there are no MSM journalists on the front line, indeed I would ask the question how many of the reporters/journalists are actually in Ukraine? If you’re happy that your news source is the Ukrainian authorities then so be it. Personally, I’d rather hear not the MSM nor indeed the Russian side but the view of independent reporters who are actually on the front line (such as in this link)

The workers don’t want the war.
Will they be heard?
Ich glaube nicht.

Craftsmen call for the end of sanctions against Russia

The Halle-Saalekreis district trade association in Saxony-Anhalt has called on Chancellor Olaf Scholz (SPD) to stop all sanctions against Russia. In an open letter that was available to the editorial network Germany (RND/Thursday), the craftsmen also called for negotiations to end the war against Ukraine.

“We as craftsmen know from many conversations with our customers that the vast majority is not willing to sacrifice their hard-earned standard of living for Ukraine. It’s not our war either!", it says, and: "Do you want to be the chancellor who drove Germany to ruin. Do you really want to sacrifice your country?

The district craftsman criticized Russia’s attack on Ukraine as a serious crime and “a clear violation of Article 2 of the UN Charter”. However, they are “worried about the future of our children and grandchildren, worried about the continued existence of our businesses, worried about our country”.

In addition, one cannot speak of a flawless democratic state in Ukraine. The craftsmen refer to a publication by Transparency International, in which the country took 122nd place in corruption in 2021 - no other European country did worse. "And you want to put Germany at risk for that?" criticize the 16 signatories from all guilds.

If prices continue to rise, the “average earner” will soon no longer be able to pay for his living. Then even normal, necessary manual work would become unaffordable, which in turn would lead to layoffs and the closure of companies. (dpa)

They might well be heard. I see there is growing unhappiness in Germany with Scholz……

1 Like

Is micks disbarred lawyer actually in Ukraine ?

No, but he is getting raw reports from Telegram from people who are there, he is reading the MSM reports and the institutes and as noted above regarding “Ukrainian sources say” has figured out some are more reliable than others. He goes into quite a bit of detail on a daily basis.

1 Like